Home

How to defend against....

This is a discussion on How to defend against.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Pro

blLLD0's Arena

OVR: 10
How to defend against....

...a very fast RB?

I'm in a 2 person online dynasty with my roommate. He isn't an OS guy and really only cares about winning (he has turned off his 360 if he's losing to the cpu). We are in year 5 and he has won the last 3 NC (see above), while i have tried to build my team (Purdue) playing fairly and taking losses. He is Virginia Tech and runs the ball exclusively (he broke many NCAA rushing records with his last two backs).

He now has a HB that has 98 speed. Last night we played for the first time in the dynasty and many on this forum would cry CHEESE.. Basically his HB will touch the ball 8 out of 10 times.

I have a 96 rated defense, with mostly high 80s guys and 4 or 5 players rated in the 90s, so my team is good. And i would rate my stick skills as Above Average. So there is no advantage towards him.

He will run Power Os, stretch plays, off tackle, basically anything to the outside. As soon as his guy takes the hand off, he will run parallel to the LOS until he sees some daylight and cuts up field. He did this all day against me racking up 180 yds on 23 carriens, even tho I tried everything to stop it. I tried shifting my line, linebackers, slanting the line, blitzing the corners and a combination of the proceeding in 4-3 and 4-4 defenses.

So i reach out to my fellow OSers in search of tips/tricks/help so i can stick it to my roommate next time we play. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Pro

blLLD0's Arena

Re: How to defend against....

Also...

The final score was 27-17 (close cause i had a kickoff return for TD)

And i play with the MLB, except for in obvious passing downs with long yardage to gain.

Last edited by blLLD0; 08-29-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
#ZOMBIENATION

Tomasperez9's Arena

OVR: 23

If you're sure he isn't going to run inside the tackles, I've had success running the LB Contain out of the 4-3 (it may be 3-4, but I don't think so). Spread out your line and LBs and you should have at least 2 DE/OLB patrolling each flat to prevent him from going up field, and then yourself, the MLB, as well as any safety you bring up to the line to keep him from getting any yardage. This play also kills Pat White and Noel Devine options, as well as the oh so realistic Percy Harvin/Chris Rainey options.

We are the Union; Join or Die.
Sons of Ben 'til I die!

Don't Tread on Me
Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

With friends like that, who needs enemies?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 34

I'm sure he loves to shoot the RB out into the flats as well and runs plenty of screens.

A healthy dose of cover 2 and pass commit will result in plenty of pick 6's.

The second you read screen..use your MLB or safety to run right between the QB and HB, and just sit there. The fool will probably still try to throw it, or he'll hold the ball to long and get sacked.

On those running plays, most people who play like this are strictly wide side of the field runners, so slant your DL to rush towards that direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

This is completely off topic, but if you're only playing with 2 people in your dynasty and you're roommates, why are you playing an online dynasty instead of offline? Are there advantages of online over offline or is this just so you can't see each other's screens while playing?
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Pro

blLLD0's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
This is completely off topic, but if you're only playing with 2 people in your dynasty and you're roommates, why are you playing an online dynasty instead of offline? Are there advantages of online over offline or is this just so you can't see each other's screens while playing?
That and we can play at the same time. We both have xboxs so its no big deal. Also we wanted to add some other friends but none have shown interest yet.

I just want some ideas on what you guys have found successful in human vs human games, so i can end his little 'I'm the best' parade.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

If you dont tackle him in the backfield it is nearly impossible to stop a 98+ speed running back.

EA screwed up big time with these speed running backs. Look at real life, if you have a running back that fast, either they dont break tackles, fall down easy, and/or FUMBLE.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »