Home

Advice stopping the run

This is a discussion on Advice stopping the run within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Advice stopping the run

i am going to play my brother tonight for the NC in our online dynasty. i have only played him one other time for the NC and he won because i could not stop his running game.
First let me say this is the 4 yr in our dynasty and my defense is starting to take shape but is young. my outside lb are good but my middle lb sucks. my line is ok and i am pretty deep on the secondary.

For my brother, he has a very fast RB (96 speed).
for the past 2 seasons he running back has had 283 284 283 carries (playing 5 min qrts)
What he did last timed we played is ran a dive play (in the big formation) and start right and if that was closed up, he would reverse field and take off left.
my guys just could not keep up.

i am thinking of running the 3-3-5 defense.

Any help/suggestions would be is welcomed

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 15
Re: Advice stopping the run

The 3-3-5 defense would help you with stopping the run, especially because of the improved speed on the field. Have a blitz heavy defense scheme, and even if you dont have a blitz called try to stack the box with as many defenders you can afford.

MLB: Detroit Tigers
NCAAFB: Michigan Wolverines
NFL: New York Giants/Detroit Lions
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA: Detroit Pistons
NCAABB: Oakland University Golden Grizzlies

Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

OVR: 6

Are you hot routing your d-line? I would mix up pinching/slanting the line and force the run to bounce out to your SS's, if you are going to play a 3-3-5.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayeight
Are you hot routing your d-line? I would mix up pinching/slanting the line and force the run to bounce out to your SS's, if you are going to play a 3-3-5.
thanks i will try that.

Also last game i controlled the FS, is that a good idea or should i control a lineman?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

There's a lot of different opinions on this, but I always control the NT. I run a 34 defense, and I feel that it allows me to be a true 2-gap NT, while also being able to help on rollouts and screens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Rookie

any guess on how to stop Trindon Holliday? they just run side to side or do a damn HB direct snap...or if you commit to run...boom! PA to the HB in the flat...uhggggg

NBA Live...I got this!
Ncaa 2010 you don't want it!
Madden ...lets get it!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

The last guy I played who was killing me with passes to Trindon Holliday, I play him in a Nickel Strong Cover 2, which is in the 43 Playbook, and it gave me an extra defender out in the flats. Right now I use the Nickel 2-4-5 (in the 34 playbook) which puts your OLBs as stand-up DEs. That defense is deadly, and puts a ton of speed on the field, yet keeps it solid up the middle with 2 DTs, unlike the 1-5-5.

What's your base defense?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Pro

Bucksfan7's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eason24
thanks i will try that.

Also last game i controlled the FS, is that a good idea or should i control a lineman?
I also control the FS most of the time, the one i recruited in my Toledo OD turned out to be a stud. I lead the nation in tackles controlling him. But anyways depending on the offensive formation the user is running with i try to get as much speed on the field as possible(dime and nickel packages or even 4-2-5).

If you have a fast MLB you can control him too and stop the run. I played a guy the other day in our OD and he had a fast MLB and pretty much held my running game in check(and i lead the nation in rush offense).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »