Home

NHL 09: I don't get it?

This is a discussion on NHL 09: I don't get it? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #41
MVP

Gossennator's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 09: I don't get it?

I think NHL 09 is the most solid game of all the 09 games...the controls are just perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Since you're not a huge hockey fan, that's probably why you love NHL 09. You don't know all the little nuances that are missing from that game. You like what they give you and therefore proclaim it as a better offering then EA's NFL and NCAA offerings.

Meanwhile, I assume you're a big NFL and NCAAFB fan and know the game and the games inside and out. You notice the things that aren't added, things that don't work as they should, and on and on.

Like Wet Bandit said, if NHL 09 had the same amount of people following it as Madden, it would get ripped to shreds (it does have a very solid base, but not near the amount of people as Madden). I suspect every game would. The spotlight is always on Madden and in turn, every single thing gets nitpicked. It's never going to be perfect and there's always going to be things that aren't added or things that don't work. But the whining (some justified; others not) will never stop. And it really shouldn't... we should be pushing these developers to create the best game for their consumers. Just make sure there's a point to your complaints and I have no problems with the good whining.
So explain Fifa, which has a larger following than either?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #43
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Since you're not a huge hockey fan, that's probably why you love NHL 09. You don't know all the little nuances that are missing from that game. You like what they give you and therefore proclaim it as a better offering then EA's NFL and NCAA offerings.

Meanwhile, I assume you're a big NFL and NCAAFB fan and know the game and the games inside and out. You notice the things that aren't added, things that don't work as they should, and on and on.

Like Wet Bandit said, if NHL 09 had the same amount of people following it as Madden, it would get ripped to shreds (it does have a very solid base, but not near the amount of people as Madden). I suspect every game would.
Sorry for the long post.....

In real life I follow NFL and NCAA football, NHL, and soccer. I also play all four of these video games each year as well.

3-4 years ago Fifa was a joke. Konami's Pro Evolution soccer was the king of soccer. EA Canada started over from scratch and the gameplay has improved by leaps and bounds the past few years. Fifa 09 has a few bugs that prevent it from being perfect, but the gameplay is amazing.

As far as the NHL goes, EA and 2K were pretty much neck and neck until 08. EA Canada made huge stride in 08 and that game was better than 2K's and then in 2009 EA's game made even more gameplay improvements and is now vastly superior to NHL2K.

Both NHL and Fifa got better because the EA Canada development teams zeroed in on gameplay. There is very little fluff in those two games. When I read the EA Canada blogs for the 2010 versions of NHL and Fifa I am pumped about all the gameplay improvements they have in store for this year. I have yet to read about a corny new feature (unlike NCAA).

These two franchises got better because they knew they had to stay one step ahead of the competition.

On the other hand, EA's football titles have been so stagnate this generation because they have no competition. (Disclaimer: I think Madden 10 looks significantly better than 09; only time will tell if that is true.)

Instead of improving gameplay and adding all the features that we had in the last generation of consoles, Tiburon focuses on non-gameplay stuff like Mascot games or Season Showdown. The football games have added gimmicks. For the most part NCAA 07 (next gen) plays the same as NCAA 09. There have not been any groundbreaking gameplay enhancements.

But if you play NHL 07 and then NHL 09 you will be amazed at how much the new control setup and physics system improved the game.

Right now NHL and Fifa are light years beyond where they were last gen. On the other hand, many people believe that the gameplay was better on NCAA for the PS2/Xbox than it is now on the 360/PS3. Additionally, Tiburon still has not given us all the last gen features after FOUR next gen version of NCAA.

I think the world of EA Canada but I believe that Tiburon has become waaaaay too complacent.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
Sorry for the long post.....

In real life I follow NFL and NCAA football, NHL, and soccer. I also play all four of these video games each year as well.

3-4 years ago Fifa was a joke. Konami's Pro Evolution soccer was the king of soccer. EA Canada started over from scratch and the gameplay has improved by leaps and bounds the past few years. Fifa 09 has a few bugs that prevent it from being perfect, but the gameplay is amazing.

As far as the NHL goes, EA and 2K were pretty much neck and neck until 08. EA Canada made huge stride in 08 and that game was better than 2K's and then in 2009 EA's game made even more gameplay improvements and is now vastly superior to NHL2K.

Both NHL and Fifa got better because the EA Canada development teams zeroed in on gameplay. There is very little fluff in those two games. When I read the EA Canada blogs for the 2010 versions of NHL and Fifa I am pumped about all the gameplay improvements they have in store for this year. I have yet to read about a corny new feature (unlike NCAA).

These two franchises got better because they knew they had to stay one step ahead of the competition.

On the other hand, EA's football titles have been so stagnate this generation because they have no competition. (Disclaimer: I think Madden 10 looks significantly better than 09; only time will tell if that is true.)

Instead of improving gameplay and adding all the features that we had in the last generation of consoles, Tiburon focuses on non-gameplay stuff like Mascot games or Season Showdown. The football games have added gimmicks. For the most part NCAA 07 (next gen) plays the same as NCAA 09. There have not been any groundbreaking gameplay enhancements.

But if you play NHL 07 and then NHL 09 you will be amazed at how much the new control setup and physics system improved the game.

Right now NHL and Fifa are light years beyond where they were last gen. On the other hand, many people believe that the gameplay was better on NCAA for the PS2/Xbox than it is now on the 360/PS3. Additionally, Tiburon still has not given us all the last gen features after FOUR next gen version of NCAA.

I think the world of EA Canada but I believe that Tiburon has become waaaaay too complacent.
Someone give this man a medal.

+ 1,000,000
Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 20

I still have to laugh at people who think NHL 09 is a great representation of the NHL game. If you think that watch a little more hockey. There are so many things missing or broken in that game that do not represent the NHL game all.

1. Every pass is tape to tape other than interceptions, watch a hockey game and you will see a ton of bad passes.

2. There is a absolutely no neutral zone play, the NHL game is not a constant powerplay at both ends of the ice.

3. Way too easy to enter the offensive zone due mainly because of the lack of agression of the d-men and backchecking forwards. In the real NHL getting the puck into the zone is difficult and dump ins are needed some time to accomplish this. Dump ins in NHL 09 serve no purpose at all.

4. Absolutely no play along the boards or battling for the puck. Once again quite common in the NHL.

5. Why is it possible for me to make the same dekes with Kirk Maltby as I can make with a highly skilled player like Pavel Datsyuk? Player differentiation is really lacking

6. The gameplay overall is just way too clean. People who watch the NHL on a regular basis know what I mean by this.

7. Defensive ai is severly lacking

Those are big things that are present in the real NHL game. So please do not call NHL 09 a great representation of the NHL game, it's not. Maybe an All Star game but not a regular season or playoff NHL game.

The bottom line is NHL 09 is not a better sim than NCAA 09. The controls are good but the core gameplay is definintely not a sim. Both games are very far from representing the real thing. I think a couple of others were spot on when they said Nhl 09 is not being held to the same standard as NCAA Football.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 05-31-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #46
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I went into the football forum and a hockey game broke out! LOL

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
I still have to laugh at people who think NHL 09 is a great representation of the NHL game. If you think that watch a little more hockey. There are so many things missing or broken in that game that do not represent the NHL game all.

1. Every pass is tape to tape other than interceptions, watch a hockey game and you will see a ton of bad passes.

2. There is a absolutely no neutral zone play, the NHL game is not a constant powerplay at both ends of the ice.

3. Way too easy to enter the offensive zone due mainly because of the lack of agression of the d-men and backchecking forwards. In the real NHL getting the puck into the zone is difficult and dump ins are needed some time to accomplish this. Dump ins in NHL 09 serve no purpose at all.

4. Absolutely no play along the boards or battling for the puck. Once again quite common in the NHL.

5. Why is it possible for me to make the same dekes with Kirk Maltby as I can make with a highly skilled player like Pavel Datsyuk? Player differentiation is really lacking

6. The gameplay overall is just way too clean. People who watch the NHL on a regular basis know what I mean by this.

7. Defensive ai is severly lacking

Those are big things that are present in the real NHL game. So please do not call NHL 09 a great representation of the NHL game, it's not. Maybe an All Star game but not a regular season or playoff NHL game.

The bottom line is NHL 09 is not a better sim than NCAA 09. The controls are good but the core gameplay is definintely not a sim. Both games are very far from representing the real thing. I think a couple of others were spot on when they said Nhl 09 is not being held to the same standard as NCAA Football.
We must be playing two completely different games.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Are you serious? Football has so many more aspects then soccer. Just OL-DL INA is way more complex then anything in soccer.
This is a false statement. Both sports are extremely complex.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »