Home

The top rushing teams in 2008 and blocking schemes

This is a discussion on The top rushing teams in 2008 and blocking schemes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: The top rushing teams in 2008 and blocking schemes

Stylee, you nailed it man. I agree with you 100% and I would be in college football video game heaven if this became a reality.

EA, make it happen.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Rookie

JuiceIsLoose's Arena

OVR: 2

I think probably the big reason why this type of blocking doesn't work is because the Dline doesn't seem to have any type of inherent logic short of "run to the ball and tackle". So if you run a trap for example the D tackle wouldn't read the pull or anything, he would just run straight upfield and blow the play up. I think it would be amazing if more D line logic got programmed in (for example better contain by ends, following pulls on power-type plays, less motion straight upfield). This would also make running misdirection a lot cooler, especially if you could "set up" players so that they bit on counters or got trapped.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 31

This is why EA football games will always be very weak on real football strategy. It is exactly why I can't get into the fun.

I want a game that actually uses real blocking strategies. A video game company could do this but EA's current structure of line play is so far removed from this that I doubt it will ever happen. They can't even change line splits....

This is why exclusive contracts and a lack of competition kills us gamers. It would be nice if there were a game geared towards football strategists/coaches/simheads. But instead we have one game trying to fulfill a wide variety of different types of football fans and video game fans.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceIsLoose
I think probably the big reason why this type of blocking doesn't work is because the Dline doesn't seem to have any type of inherent logic short of "run to the ball and tackle". So if you run a trap for example the D tackle wouldn't read the pull or anything, he would just run straight upfield and blow the play up. I think it would be amazing if more D line logic got programmed in (for example better contain by ends, following pulls on power-type plays, less motion straight upfield). This would also make running misdirection a lot cooler, especially if you could "set up" players so that they bit on counters or got trapped.

Wow. That's pretty great.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceIsLoose
Agreed +1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
This is why EA football games will always be very weak on real football strategy. It is exactly why I can't get into the fun.

I want a game that actually uses real blocking strategies. A video game company could do this but EA's current structure of line play is so far removed from this that I doubt it will ever happen. They can't even change line splits....

This is why exclusive contracts and a lack of competition kills us gamers. It would be nice if there were a game geared towards football strategists/coaches/simheads. But instead we have one game trying to fulfill a wide variety of different types of football fans and video game fans.
Fantastic post. It seems to me if they would spend the extra time with OL/DL AI and blocking strategies it would make the whole game better even for the casual fan who doesn't care about line interaction.

I didn't play madden last year but HC 09 actually does a decent job with the zone blocking plays. You get a quick double team on the down linemen and depending on the DL path the other man goes up to the 2nd level to block the LB. Of course counters, traps, option plays are all disasters (blocking wise) but when I see the line block the zone I can see the possibilities of what would be great gameplay if the time was spent on it.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Rookie

There was a video blog from madden10 detailing some run blocking improvements that looked very impressive to my eyes...I'll see if I can find it.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rNq-BoksAY

7:43 - Midline option from shotgun?

The 3-Tech defensive tackle is unblocked and it appears Tebow reads his reaction. It winds up moving further backside because it's in shotgun.

1:47 - Speed option.

Defensive end goes unblocked as the LT works upfield and blows up an LB. The DE plays Tebow but tries to change his mind at the last minute. TE works downfield, not blocking anyone at the LOS.

3:15 - Zone Read. DE unblocked. He pinches down, Tebow keeps.

3:47 - Speed option again. #49, DE Kirston Pittman is unblocked. TD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29OBPwRjaY

1:06 - the dreaded bubble read?

more to come on that one - boss coming in.

If it's in the game...and it involves blocking...it's in the..

wait, no, ignore it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #16
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

Great stuff Stylee. I could watch option football all day. Coaches like Rich Rod, Urban Meyer and Paul Johnson have done a great job taking old school option philosophies from the wishbone, I and split back veer and implemented them into today's spread offenses. As you point out the one thing that remains consistent is the blocking strategies of leaving men unblocked creating great double teams and O Lineman moving up to the 2nd and 3rd level.

If it's in the game........................maybe one day it will be in the game.

Oh and Tim Tebow is a great "option" quarterback.
Pat White might go down as one of the best option qb's in college football history with the great Tommie Frazier form Nebraska.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »