Home

A letter to the powers to be of ncaa football!!

This is a discussion on A letter to the powers to be of ncaa football!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: A letter to the powers to be of ncaa football!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
but if they truly had no competition than that wouldn't matter, would it?
It definitely matters. There are a lot of people out there who would rather go without a football game at all than with a piece of garbage.

Madden is competition to NCAA in the way that some people might buy one or the other, but it's not the type of competition that is going to drive the franchise forward. Another company needs to be making football games and coming up with new ideas and MORE COMPETITIVE PRICES (Madden 05 cut their price by like 20 bucks because 2k5 was so cheap) to be the type of competition that people are always bringing up. Madden and NCAA work together and share many of the same technologies. Its the same company making profit off of both games. Ex: the Big Mac's competition is the Whopper, not the McChicken.

Last edited by steelers1; 07-02-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #18
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1
It definitely matters. There are a lot of people out there who would rather go without a football game at all than with a piece of garbage.

Madden is competition to NCAA in the way that some people might buy one or the other, but it's not the type of competition that is going to drive the franchise forward. Another company needs to be making football games and coming up with new ideas and MORE COMPETITIVE PRICES (Madden 05 cut their price by like 20 bucks because 2k5 was so cheap) to be the type of competition that people are always bringing up. Madden and NCAA work together and share many of the same technologies. Its the same company making profit off of both games. Ex: the Big Mac's competition is the Whopper, not the McChicken.
Wow. Burn those people who like the game....

You would rather EA burn down than let other people enjoy the game for what it is.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #19
Rookie

FutureVol's Arena

OVR: 6

"Wow. Burn those people who like the game....

You would rather EA burn down than let other people enjoy the game for what it is."

First of all dude you need to chill....

I dont think we want EA to burn...i just believe that we as consumers demand the most amount of bang for our buck its like getting you son or daughter a big wheel... but the left rear wheel is missing....i mean its still a big wheel but thats only because you have the big wheel on there..but what would any kid say to their parents if they said "well son i know its missing a wheel but you may just have to enjoy it for what it is.."....Same goes with NCAA....if im shelling out 60 bucks for a game...it better be Darn good with as few problems or missteps as possible.. because come next March i still want to be playing that game. I mean the whole roster thing is ridiculous....i am very aware of the fact that a fix is all but finished and will more than likely be available on release day Kudos to Adam and Russ for being on to of that and giving us updates on that...but the fact that there even is a patch needed speaks volumes on the fact that the game WAS NOT FINISHED because for those of you who dont know...a patch in its basic form is used to cover a HOLE... no need to release a patch on a game if the job is done right the first time...bottom line i want my 60 bucks worth and missing rosters and sliders is not done right.....ESPECIALLY when the exact same areas were problems right out of the box last year...i will end up getting it used but something has got to be done to eliminate these problems..or as someone in a earlier Post said.. the game will eventually be trashed all together....
Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #20
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

*YAWN* Here we go again. It is not a monopoly because the NCAA is only allowing one company to make a NCAA football game.
Madden is not a monopoly because the NFL is only allowing one company to make an NFL football game.
NASCAR was not a monopoly either but for some reason EA just let that one go (or got outbid) so you wishers have some hope. What if EA quit. Do you guys think 2k would live up to the NFL 2k5 lovers dreams or in the world of current gen games with graphics galore and no content would they also fail to meet your dreams? Who knows, who cares. I am content with what I am getting and honestly. EA makes a game I have fun playing so I hope they keep making it forever.
I know the 2k fanatics will always be sour but again, who really cares lol
Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 33

This thread is going downhill, fast. Where oh where are the mods....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #22
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

you guys have to remember it was the ncaa that wanted only one game maker. they all got to bid on the the ncaa and pro license. ea won. 2k's college football game was garbage. APF came out and could of given them a run but it wasnt so great. so who can come and make a game this far behind the curve that will come close? remember it was the NCAA that wants this.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Wow. Burn those people who like the game....

You would rather EA burn down than let other people enjoy the game for what it is.
That's not what I'm saying, or at least not what I meant. The other poster said that if there was no competition, sales for the NCAA game would not drop, which didn't make sense. He was implying that with no competition, NCAA could put out a poor product and still sell the same the amount every year because the game doesn't have a competitor and the people wouldn't have a choice but to buy the game.

The thing is though, is that football game isn't something that people actually need (most people, anyway), so if most people don't feel like the game is up to par, they won't buy it. In fact, it's pretty much just those hardcore college fans that will buy a game that they don't think will be great.

A lot of people do like the game, they will buy it, and that's fine. I wish I felt the same way, but I just absolutely hate the twitchy feel of next gen football, and NCAA hasn't changed enough to warrant me spending 60 bucks.

I wasn't putting down all the people who do like the game. It just seems like all the people who do like the game are extremely sensitive and defensive due to the majority of the people who don't (granted, there has been quite a bit of bashing instead of constructive criticism, but come on).
Old 07-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #24
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

If someone made a game with great gameplay, decent presentation with a good representation of the college atmosphere without the college license it would sell some, maybe even take away some sold units of NCAA. However, such a game would have to have the above with numerous customization options and the anouncers would have to say the team names.

One fictitious example: Joe Gamer is a die hard Michigan Wolverine fan and isn't crazy about the direction of the EA's NCAA franchise. There is this new game out there - College Football 2010 by Acme Gaming Corp. For Joe to pass on EA's game, Acme would have to have multitudes of customization options as far as rosters, team creation, stadium creation and maybe even coach/play creation. On top of that, the spoken surname database would have to be really broad (like EA's) and the announcing team would have to be able to say both Michigan and Wolverine for Joe Gamer to buy it. Before you say that would be copyright infringement, Michigan is a state and a Wolverine is an animal and there is no copyright on those that I am aware of. Michigan would have to be a separate file from Wolverine on the disk under (random example) 'team name' and Wolverine would have to be under a file of 'mascot names (once again a random file name example). If Joe wanted, he could make the Michigan Razorbacks or the Michigan Canucks because they are separate files, not one phrase.

It would have to come with all of the above on disc, except for the logos. Outside or licensed logos would have to be loaded from an internet based site if this was a console game and the team wouldn't be saved on a server. It would have to immediately be saved to someone's profile (gamertag or PSN) and never on someone's server. Unless I am clueless, that is the way around that.

If you do that and have a faithful enough online community, such a game would work. Especially if it is constantly updated by Acme (small tweaks, response to community feedback, etc.) and the game creation process is done throughout the year with a small fee ($3). They could sell the original disc for $40 with most of the features already intact and yearly sell it again for the same price with all of the updates for those that don't have the internet. Acme would have a year round business and EA would have competition. I know some people believe charging for small updates is asinine, but when the original price is $30 or $40 it makes it easier to swallow and if Joe has the internet he always has a choice on what he wants to update and what he doesn't. If he doesn't, well $30-40 yearly for the game plus updates is much easier to swallow than $60 and with the fact the updates were made throughout the year Joe will know before it is released how it all worked instead of buying NCAA and knowing he got bamboozled because he bought it on release day.

I am not railing against EA or the devs, but that is what it would take to compete with EA's NCAA franchise. Were I knowledgeable enough I would create the game myself, but someone out there is.

What do you guys think of the 'Acme' business model?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »