Home

No Need for a Player OVR rating

This is a discussion on No Need for a Player OVR rating within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 19
Icon2 No Need for a Player OVR rating

This is a springboard thought from my "Tone down Player Ratings" Thread.
The thought came to me while I was driving home from work.

This is pertaining to College Football, NOT Madden!!!

HERE IT IS:
The OVR Player Rating is killing Player Variance and Dynasty Progression when it's really not needed.

What's the purpose of the OVR Player Rating?
-To rank players on the 100 scale of how good/talented they are.

What's wrong with the current ranking system?
- You have to inflate attributes tied into calculating the OVR
Ex. - A 5'9" WR needs his STR/Jump/BRK Tackle etc... to have a high OVR
- Positional attributes must have a "Crazy" rating to make OVR lower
Ex. - A QB with 55 Throw Power
- A 6' 230 lb RB with 30 Break Tackle

Remedy that will help Player Variance, Player Progression and breathe life into the "COACHING" aspect of the game.
- Use 1-100 scale for positional attributes and remove the OVR player rating
that's stamped on players
> No OVR calculation needed, just Remove
- Utilize the Rating System in real college football (say what?)
> Coaches rate their players by their position on the depth chart
(Starter/1st, 2nd, 3rd team etc...)
> Conferenes rate players with "In-Conference" awards
(1st/2nd Team All-SEC)
> Division I rate players with "National" awards
(1st/2nd Team All-American)
-The the top player at for each position is selected from the group of
All-Americans

So we can see how a player's Overall Rating is represented in this "Three Tier System" utilized by College Football.

Bring it to the Game
- Player's positional attributes based off of 1-100 scale
- Player's OVR on "Team" is represented by position on depth chart based off
of performance
> CPU will use a combination of player AWR & Pos Attributes (which will
fluctuate depending on performance) to drive depth charts
-Upper-Classmen can have higher AWR
- Player's OVR in their Conference are represented by All-Conf awards
received for In-Conf performance
- Player's OVR in the country are represented by All-American awards
received for performance Nationally

1st) The theme here is that a player's OVR is Performancedriven.
- Something we have been crying for for a long time.
- Positional Attributes will matter because they will fluctuate depending on
"Performance"

2nd) The Coaching aspect comes to life because we will have to look at how a player's Positional Attributes will fit into our system/scheme.
- By not having a numbered OVR, gamers will be forced to be a Coach
Ex. yes you have "Blazer", but he keeps fumbling or has "Skillet-Hands",
you must make a coaching decision.
Ex. your SR starting QB is injured. Next in line is a True Freshman. He makes
plays during a 3 game stint causing his AWR and Accuracy to increase.
Then your SR returns. What do you do knowing your SR can give you
more wins, but not con't with the Freshman could make him transfer
and hurt your recruiting Rep?

3rd) Just like in real life, the attributes do not always translate onto the field which gives us Player Variance

4th) Up/Down Progression of Positional Attributes will be based off of performance vs an automatic increase for no reason.

In a nutshell, Performance will dictate a player's OVR on the Team, in the Conference and Nationally as it is in real life and should be in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: No Need for a Player OVR rating

Dude you already have a rating topic up you made. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...gs-please.html Try using this instead for your ideas bro. Help to control the forums from having to many threads in it.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Strategy

OVR: 36

I appreciate the well-thought logic. However, I think having an overall rating helps provide a quick snap shot of a players abilities based on their position.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Rookie

Morning Thunder's Arena

OVR: 2

I agree with the op
Old 05-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

great post. dont listen to legend killer. this is something everyone should see. very good man. but they still need a overall for guys that arent that serious about the game. they do need a snapshot. I know as do you and alot of guys that play this game that the overalls mean nothing. i constantly have guys that are 5 to 10 points below another guy starting and playing much better. now with locomotion it will be even a bigger deal. sucks that the cpu's depth chart logic is based off of overalls because the overalls are so off and wrong especially for college football where most systems have skill sets they need to run the O and D effectively. i don't know how much performance based will work by itself when thinking of programming because it would have to use stats not performance. we all know from fantasy football that stats don't mean that much when it comes to winning and losing. but pretty good op anyway. i think performance or stats should be a third of the formula with Potential/Will or Heart as another 3rd and System/Coaching as the other 3rd. but we are along way from that as that would create alot more formulas to test and get right. i say these three because im a highschool scout and these are the things we look at evenly. but performance is that last one of the three so i feel that no way should stats control more than a 3rd of equation. here is a priority list for scouting, some would be irrelevant for a video game.

Potential
Maturity(grades, personality, so forth)uneeded for a game since disipline has been removed
Family/Background/Home life
Will/Heart/Competiviness (this one can trump all others)
Tape(looking at 100% of plays example. plays when the ball isn't in their hands for a RB)
Coaching background(the kind of coaches they have been around and learned from and the coaches input) i find that alot of highschool level coaches kiss top level players asses. looking for guys that embrace disipline is key.
Performance and System

look what is last. these two things can change from year to year based on coach changes and system changes. doesnt make the player worse or better but it can showcase skill sets or hide skill sets. I do like the op's thinking just should be only a 3rd of equation at most.

so to note on the list. you might say tape would be first and your right. normally after a live game or tape you would start inspecting the player more then go back to tape if you like what your seeing with other things. then you really pick them apart.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17

I like your points, but I still think there should be an overall rating. Just to get a quick glimpse of everything.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

I'm just wondering how can a freshman be given an OVR rating? What/how can you gage it?

I like how FIFA 10 gives new players a range for each attribute. This is something that might work great with college football, becasue you just do not know what your getting no matter how successful they were in highschool.

All colleges use the format in OP to establish a players OVR, I'm just wondering why not do the same in the game?

But I understand why some still would need an OVR number.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
I like how FIFA 10 gives new players a range for each attribute. This is something that might work great with college football, becasue you just do not know what your getting no matter how successful they were in highschool.
The NCAA football game already does this. The recruits have letter grades. With the exception of a couple of things that are hard measured (40 times translate directly into a number) the letter grades have a range. A QB with B+ THP could have an arm of roughly 87-90. It isn't until you get him on campus and have him go through spring/fall training that you find out that his B+ THP is actually an 88 for IE.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »