Home

Heisman difficulty level.

This is a discussion on Heisman difficulty level. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #41
stewaat

OVR:
Re: Heisman difficulty level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofSTL
I don't know if it's just me, but does the Heisman difficulty level cheat? I am asking because I played the demo and fumbled very easily. *Can't decipher last sentence*
I think there is a ratings boost on Heisman for the CPU.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #42
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

I used PM's varsity sliders last year and they made the game for me. I have always played on heisman or AA but took pm's advice and never looked back. Hopefully we can get a good base varsity set going that can be challenging like last year.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #43
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13

Deegeezy...

I'm with you man. I only play on Heisman, too. I'm currently in two online dynasties and we use Heisman DEFAULT settings for both with 6 Minute Quarters. In the BCS dynasty we use Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech and Penn State. The first four teams were all in the top four in rush defense allowing less than 50 RUSH yards per game. All four were also in the top 10 in PASS defense, too. The Penn State owner struggles at times but has become a lot more successful as he has upgraded his roster with recruiting.

While the CPU offense does have some games where they light you up passing the CPU averaged 65.7% completions in the first six seasons. On the other hand... we had members that would pass for 72, 75 and 81% for the season on Heisman level. We are currently in year fourteen of our BCS dynasty and we bumped up the CPU RB settings after year six so that the computer will have more success running the ball against our defenses and "maybe" make the games more competitive. But we are still beating the teams 114-28, 70-3, etc. Now.... I know everyone is going to say well, you're playing with "STACKED" teams. Well.... we were having these similar type scores in season ONE with the DEFAULT rosters. In the fourteen seasons of dynasty the top FOUR members have lost to a CPU controlled team a grand total of FIVE times.

We actually have a ONE-STAR dynasty with Temple, San Jose State, FIU and SMU. We are in year Five. I have lost three games in five years on Heisman with San Jose State. Two of the losses were to HUMAN opponents. I have beat the likes of Boise State, Maryland, USC, Oregon State, Texas, LSU, UCLA, Louisville, Auburn with San Jose State. With the default rosters I beat USC on Heisman in year ONE by 35 at the Colisseum with a terrible, terrible Spartans team. Unfortunately, there were three undefeated teams in year one and I did not get a shot at a National Championship. Instead, I beat Maryland in the Orange Bowl and finished #2 in the country.

I will say that we have members in our league that do have ABOVE-AVERAGE stick skills and we do have some guys that are legit hardcore NCAA players. I mean... we are still currently involved with two dynasties in late-June and trying to finish 2 more seasons before NCAA '11 drops if that helps you understand how much we love this game.

Anyway, I do not limit my play-calling and I use my full arsenal of plays in my playbook. I have had 2,500 yard rushers in a season. I also had one season where my stud WR had 150 receptions, 50 Touchdowns and 3,000+ yards receiving. My 2nd best receiver had over 90+ receptions and 1,500 yards. I use my strengths on offense to my advantage. If I have a stud quarterback and good receivers I will use them heavily in my offense and play to my strengths. If I have a great offensive line and good runningbacks I will grind it out.

I use slants, posts, outs, WR screens, square-ins, curls, corner routes, fades, drags, whatever... If I need to run the ball I run FB Dives, HB Dives, slams, counters, tosses, powers, speed option and DRAWS. I have found that running the Draw to the opposite side of the QB's throwing hand is the most successful way to run it from under center. I routinely run the draw for 7 OR MORE yards per carry. My starting running back usually averages 1,600 yards per season and 9.0 yards per carry on Heisman level. My back-up averages about 900 yards per season.

In my current ALABAMA dynasty my leading rusher is a FB with 83 speed. He is the leading rusher in the NCAA after eight games with 1,000+ yards rushing and 18 TDs. He has 32 Broken Tackles for the season and routinely runs over anyone trying to tackle him in the open field. I have only seen him get caught from behind one time. Everyone wants to complain about a speed cheat for the defense but I just don't see it. Like I said... my leading rusher this season only has 83 speed and 82 acceleration and he NEVER gets caught from behind. If I ever see a safety or cornerback tracking me down across the field i continue in my line, drop my shoulder and run through their tackle. I probably break those tackles or just run through the tackle 3 out of 4 times.

Now... does the CPU seem to know what plays you are calling at times. Maybe. But that is why I am familiar with my FORMATION audibles. First of all.... if you are calling a run play from a 4 WR set and the defense comes out in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense with 7 defenders in the BOX against my FIVE blockers (as if the defense is PSYCHIC):

As an offensive coordinator it is my duty to change the play from the sideline OR to teach my quarterback to make changes at the LOS and AUDIBLE to a better play. That is when I may AUDIBLE to a pass play. Usually I'm familiar with my FORMATION audibles and I run one of my TEXAS concepts. I may have someone run a FADE, SQUARE-IN, Drag concept OR one of my other passing concepts. It's just a chess match.

Another thing is that I call my offensive plays very fast. This allows me to get to the line of scrimmage fast and make any changes that are needed; either audibles, hot routes, motion, etc.

I know people want to say that Heisman isn't real football or whatever.... but I will say this and I'm not lying. I played in a dynasty when NCAA '10 was first released and my best friend ran for 1,000 yards in a SINGLE game with ONE running back on All-American level. It was the MOST ridiculous thing I have ever seen in the history of video games. He just tore through the defense as if they were not even on the field. And it wasn't even a major team. He was using UConn in a Big East game. I played four games on All-American and scored 100+ points in all four games before I quit the dynasty because the COMMISH would not bump up the settings to Heisman which would be more of a challenge. Of course, they wouldn't bump up the settings because they were struggling on All-American with their tired, lame play-calling.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #44
MVP

jclentzthadon's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Well I think it all depends on your preference.....

For example Deegeezy can't play on Varsity level because to him it will feel like he's cheating the CPU. I can't say that he's right or wrong because that's his preference and to him the way heisman level provides the ultimate competition is realistic and sim style....

My beliefe is different.....I believe that with tweaked sliders varsity level can be modified to play just as equal but with a sense of fairness in regards to player "A" being better than player "B" and you can see it and feel it on the field.

I want to feel seperation amongst the teams and players and that is what Varsity level did last year.......

Now Deegeezy also said he has to really focus on play calling on heisman level...well I agree with that but I disagree a team with a C or D rated defense should be able to put the clamps down on Texas even if the Longhorns aren't having their best play calling day.

Just because it's heisman level you shouldn't have to be so tensed when calling plays because the defense is going to always know what play your running.....regardless if their players have poor PLAY RECOGNITION RATINGS or high ratings.

That is the KEY for me.....on Varsity level I was able to run trick plays and utilize my entire playbook not 6-8 plays just to get by from game to game. I don't get a sense on Varsity level even with CPU PASS COVERAGE at 100 last year that they knew every play i was running ahead of time. I could throw deep and complete passes if my WR was in Man coverage and got a step on the DB without safety help over the top.

On Heisman level based on my experience that deep route is open very rarely takes the big plays out of the game because the DB's on Heisman don't bite on anything and the Safety is always going to be where he is suppose to be 99% of the time on Heisman

Now again yes it's challenging but I don't want that type of challenge in all my games using Texas. I want to blow people out and I want to run my entire playbook....it doesn't mean every play is going to work but on Varsity level last year there were opportunities from week to week depending on the defense you faced and how they were rated you could get away with plays that most people abandon on Heisman level.

It's kinda hard to explain if you didn't play on Varsity level last year.....but I have a huge slider thread and most of the post you read will tell you the type of game play expierence that witnessed last year. Now there were few a posters who HATED the sliders but the majority I think mostly because they went in with open mind to the level started to really enjoy the flexibility in the game from matchup to matchup.....

If i want intense matchups every week where i have to play my best ball than I'll play Madden 11 this year because I expect that from Pro teams....not from every college matchup week to week

Now having said all that keep in mind this year we are being intruduced to the new Game Speed level.....now that addition along with the New Game Tuners could actually be ground breaking and make Heisman level more manageable than it was in years past. Those two additions alone could actually once and for all take away the speed cheats we've seen over the years on Heisman level.

Thank you for getting back so quickly. Yeah I'm looking fwd to trying out this varsity stuff once the games hits the market.

I too am all about ratings. I want them to matter, simple as that. We always played all madden head to head because it was harder but the thing is I see the cpu just making incredible plays. I have been running away and having guys warp into my player when they are not close enough to tackle me, yet they do. The speed burst is crazy with DE's running down RB's.

I'm not knocking one level or the other, so I hope I am not offending anyone but I want to be able to see an elite WR be a tough cover for a lower rated CB whether it be my player or the CPU's player.

I want to beat weaker teams easily (and I do on AA) BUT I want a realistic challenge from elite teams, not blow outs for them also. To many times I play the CPU on AA or Heisman and you catch yourself just running what works and destroying the CPU. I want those ratings to mean something and this sounds like it runs true from what you are saying.

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
And what's exactly wrong with the CPU lighting you up? Sometimes even bad teams bring their A game.

I feel like people just have to train themselves to play on Heisman. On the other levels, I feel like I can call any play at any time; On Heisman, I feel like I am involved in more of a strategic chess match. Every play matters and I take care with every play call I make, both offensively and defensively.
You can say the same thing with All American and some good sliders. I mean yes, Heisman is challenging (it's all I played on last gen), but it doesn't really do it for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #46
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Here's the thing though...Yes the CPU players become a little more juiced however I don't think it is to the point where I just get absolutely lit up. I still blowout the inferior teams, I still play close games against teams similar to me, and I still will get blown out by the elite teams if I don't bring my A game.

Heisman just personally gives me the best challenge.

I really think a lot of you guys are having some great conversation and making some great points.

I'm hearing there are guys that can still dominate on Heisman and others that wouldn't touch it.

I think what I'm hearing in the discussion are two different sets up priorities when it comes to video games.

This isn't a Heisman vs. AA vs. Varsity argument.

The real issue here is whether your main concern is "Winning the game" or "Winning the details within the game, to win the game".

The more "as real as real life gets" option is the latter, which would mean playing on Varsity or All-American.

I think I stand more on the side of wanting to feel like I'm winning all the little details. Winning on Heisman is still winning the game, but the intricacies within that game aren't accurate representations.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #47
Rookie

nolesfan69's Arena

OVR: 3

I have to admit I used to be a big Heisman player. But since I really like Playmakers sliders I have never looked back.

3 time ACC Champs- 2011, 2012 and 2015
1 time Orange Bowl Champs- 2011
National Champions - 2012
Bowl Games 5-2
Old 06-27-2010, 12:57 AM   #48

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Winning on Heisman is still winning the game, but the intricacies within that game aren't accurate representations.
I just can't agree with this statement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »