Home

15 Minute Quarters

This is a discussion on 15 Minute Quarters within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Rookie

TDTGodfather's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: 15 Minute Quarters

if the computer waited every single offensive play to snap the ball at :01 on the play clock i might have to light myself on fire like a tibetan monk.
Chicago White Sox
Old 08-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

Its not rocket science. madden implements the feature quite well where the actual game lasts the same as a game of 7 min quarters with total plays around 120 (60 or so per team). I also like 15 min quarters. When was the last time you watched a game on ESPN / ABC / CBS with 7 min quarters? Time of possession is an important in football. Give us the option to play 15 minute quarters with accelerated clock. Heck, Front Page Sports Football back in the early 90s even had this feature..
Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiehm
People who play 15 minute quarters have no kids and no wife.

It's real tough to play 7 minute quarters with a 7 year old and an 8 month old.
This isn't relevant to anything.

NBA 2K11 is introducing a "sim" game mode where 12 min quarters will yield realistic results.

Over there it is being praised and on NCAA it's just a given that hey, 6-9 minutes/quarter are just the "norm".

I'm sure there are some people out there with kids who like an hour and a half a night to unwind and play a true to life football game utilizing the entire play clock and seeing realistic T.O.P.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I can't do 15 minutes...don't care what sport game it is. 8 or 9 minutes is the max I can do. But to each their own, what ever floats your boat.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavar
Because the general rule is whoever has the ball more tends to get more offensive plays thus more chances to score but also more important if you have the ball then the other team doesn't hence they have less time and possessions to score.

This is basic rule of football, a football fan should know this. Look at the stats for when the Giants defeated the Bills in the superbowl. The Bills had a high paced no huddle O that could score quickly and often, the Giants knew this so held the ball for a staggering 40 mins to the Bills 20. Basic football principles.
Yes, in a real football game, it matters. The video game, it really doesn't. It really doesn't matter on the game if your 8 play drive takes longer than the CPU's 8 play drive. Getting the number of plays by each side correct is important for statistical purposes. The time it takes to run them doesn't.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I can't do 15 minutes...don't care what sport game it is. 8 or 9 minutes is the max I can do. But to each their own, what ever floats your boat.
Shoot, I can't even get 9 minutes quarter games in. I just don't see how people do it...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
Rookie

Lavar's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I just legitimately don't understand what the difference is. If Team A gets to run 80 plays while Team B runs 40 plays, I don't see how it matters if it took them controlling the ball for 24 of 32 minutes as opposed to 45 of 60 minutes.
You said you don't understand yet you said yourself if team A has 80 plays and team B 40. It means team A had more plays and took longer on the field giving team B less chance to score because their offense was on the sideline, its that simply. I cannot state it any more clearly than in my last 3 posts.

People who watch football should know how important TOP is, even more so in the NFL where there are less turnovers than in the college game which means less possessions.

Try this, lets say you are playing a 5 min Q online, and you take your time and use up the whole quarter and score, that's 5 mins your opponent hasn't had the ball and no opportunity to score.

Its that simply.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavar
You said you don't understand yet you said yourself if team A has 80 plays and team B 40. It means team A had more plays and took longer on the field giving team B less chance to score because their offense was on the sideline, its that simply. I cannot state it any more clearly than in my last 3 posts.

People who watch football should know how important TOP is, even more so in the NFL where there are less turnovers than in the college game which means less possessions.

Try this, lets say you are playing a 5 min Q online, and you take your time and use up the whole quarter and score, that's 5 mins your opponent hasn't had the ball and no opportunity to score.

Its that simply.
But can you explain how it's different for it to take 45/60 minutes of TOP in the game to get those 80 plays while holding your opponent to only 40 plays instead of it taking 24/32 minutes to get that same 80 plays while holding your opponent to those same 40 plays? That's the part that I don't understand. In the game now, with 8 minutes quarters, you can hold your opponent to only 40 plays while getting 80 plays yourself. I'm not understanding the significance of it taking 45/60 minutes to achieve that ratio as opposed to it taking 24/32 minutes.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »