Home

Errors in the Schedule -- Post Patch#3

This is a discussion on Errors in the Schedule -- Post Patch#3 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Errors in the Schedule -- Post Patch#3

In one of the threads concerning Patch #3, there was a discussion about errors in the schedules. After briefly looking over some of the main conferences (ACC, Big10, Big12, SEC, Pac12, and BigEast), I can confirm that unbelievably there still are errors in each conference schedule.

Within these conferences, I noticed that 3 games were missing. West Virginia (UNLV), Wisconsin (San Jose State), and USC (Hawaii). All can be added (with some adjustments made to the schedule) except for USC-Hawaii (I think). Reason being that you can adjust only non-conference games and USC already has 12 accurate opponents. In other words, IF I remember correctly, you can add the Hawaii game, but will have to drop another real non-conference game (ex. Virginia this week). Plus, I think you have to control Hawaii so that you can drop one of their games and add USC. The game DOES NOT allow a 13 game schedule.

Additionally, all conferences have scheduling errors regarding home/away. On average, there are about 3-4 h/a errors per conference. Unfortunately, most cannot be changed because they're conference opponents, but some (like Mich St. v. ND, Miami v. Pitt, etc.) may be addressed.

I do not play multiple dynasty years, so I have no idea if these errors affect future home/away games, etc.

Last edited by bojo4444; 09-08-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Errors in the Schedule -- Post Patch#3

The problem exists because there is a rule in the NCAA that if you play AT Hawaii you are allowed to have 13 games.

However NCAA 11, does not have that exception built in so they had to take games away to make it so every team has 12 games.

If you check the 2010 schedule for USC, Hawaii, UNLV, and San Jose State, they all play 13 games this year.

They cannot however remove the extra Hawaii game from UNLV and San Jose State, as Hawaii would only have 10 games then.

So they removed the USC Hawaii game to give both of those teams 12 games, and then one from UNLV and San Jose State (the ones you listed).

Yes the schedules are wrong, but they are as good as they can be given the fact that NCAA 11 does not allow 13 games.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Unfreakingbelievable.

They got so much right with this game and mess up a seemingly easy, basic thing like schedules.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

meh. Probably an error in a line of code somewhere that doesn't let the 13th game get in. Still its kind of upsetting that its that way. Personally it isn't a big deal for me.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Rookie

SJag84 - Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I agree with Spanky that this is such a simple thing to address pre or post patch. For such a great game, I don't know why they can't do this right. But at least now I know why some of these particular errors exist. Still no excuse for home/away errors though!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

You can't add USC to Hawaii's schedule without taking away Virginia, Minnesota or Notre Dame from USC's. UNLV also has 13 1-A opponents, so you can't take away a game without messing it up for someone else. Many years all the teams who play 13 had a 1-AA opponent so you could just take those games out and it was survivable, but years like this really show how much the 13th game is needed. I could schedule 13 on NCAA 04, but you can't do it on 11. Think about that.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojo4444
SJag84 - Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I agree with Spanky that this is such a simple thing to address pre or post patch. For such a great game, I don't know why they can't do this right. But at least now I know why some of these particular errors exist. Still no excuse for home/away errors though!
It was probably an oversight that some teams have 13 games this year, and I doubt (speaking as a software developer) that is is an easy fix, or even if it is an easy fix, that it is easy to test.

I mean, imagine if they patch the game to allow 13 games for those who play at hawaii. All of the sudden a whole host of things could break that you dont consider. The algorithms used to calculate things in the game like ranking (its easy in real life to account for a 13th game, but it can mess up all kinds of AI logic), the system they use for determine whats televised, I dunno, im sure i could keep thinkin of things.

But i doubt its trivial and now that they've overlooked it for this year, it will have to wait till next year. For now, they patched the schedules to make all teams have the right number of conference games at the expense of playing a non-conf game that they legitimately play, because i bet before the patch, all teams that were missing a conf game were missing one in every season.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11

This is why next year's game needs some sort of universal schedule/conference editor. If it's this bad right now, imagine how messy it'll get when teams start moving around.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »