Home

Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Rookie

Jim Jones's Arena

OVR: 5
Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun?

I just started a dynasty with West Virginia.. I usually only like to use a pro style offense but decided to try something new and go with WVU. Now keep in mind I'm not used to running out of the shotgun, but is seems kind of.. well, impossible.

At this point I'm just playing on the regular post patch all-american settings and I can't run for crap. It seems like zone read or other designed QB runs are basically completely worthless. The D-Line is in the backfield before you even have a chance to start moving. Same with the other running plays...on a sweep or offtackle an end or linebacker on the opposite side will almost always break through immediately...usually Devine will either get tackled for a loss in the backfield or be quick enough to make it around the corner, but is then just met by 3 linebackers.

Anyone having any success running with the shotgun? Any tips? What am I missing here?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun?

I use the Air Raid playbook, and when I want to run out of shotgun I call a ton of draw plays. They work pretty well because I pass a lot. I haven't had a ton of success with the read plays though. I tend to avoid those.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Rookie

kkman187's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones
I just started a dynasty with West Virginia.. I usually only like to use a pro style offense but decided to try something new and go with WVU. Now keep in mind I'm not used to running out of the shotgun, but is seems kind of.. well, impossible.

At this point I'm just playing on the regular post patch all-american settings and I can't run for crap. It seems like zone read or other designed QB runs are basically completely worthless. The D-Line is in the backfield before you even have a chance to start moving. Same with the other running plays...on a sweep or offtackle an end or linebacker on the opposite side will almost always break through immediately...usually Devine will either get tackled for a loss in the backfield or be quick enough to make it around the corner, but is then just met by 3 linebackers.

Anyone having any success running with the shotgun? Any tips? What am I missing here?
The zone blocking schemes aren't correctly done by Ea. Also, suggest you find a good slider set and start tweaking to find what you are looking for. This is probably the only way to fix it.
"There are enough flaws with this game (NCAA 10) as it is w/o people believing that the game will rape your girlfriend, knock up your mom and steal your identity before jumping out the window screaming..."Season Showdown Rules, Bitchesssssssss!"
- DonohoFlnkr
Old 09-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Running out of the SG is fine with the right playbook (Miss. St, Oregon, Florida, Louisiville, ULM, Tulsa, Auburn, kinda sorta Michigan or WVU) and very difficult with the wrong playbook.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Its because the cpu always comes out in a 4-3 with 6 guys in the box anytime you call a run. Since shotgun runs typically have fewer blockers, this gives a huge and unfair advantage to the cpu.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Uber Blazer/Beaver Fan

blazer003's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't run the shotgun spreads very much, but it's fun with Oregon online because the other person doesn't know if you're running or passing, but against the CPU when I've tried it, I don't get much success. Only when I come out with a pass play and then audible to a run so their package sometimes actually represents a pass.

I'm really hoping they continue to improve the spread next year with some better blocking and biting by the defense so that the zone read is actually as effective as it is when Oregon runs it.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

I am seeing a lot less of the physic CPU playcalling since patch three. I can run the read with a lot more success now.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Banned

1GATOR FAN's Arena

OVR: 9

Ya don't believe the playbook stuff people are saying. If you're playing the CPU an it's on Heisman forget it! They stack the line everytime because they know you're play an even if you select a pass an the audible to a run the CPU almost always runs there base Defense... I hate that I have to pass almost every play because I use Florida and like to run there Playbook, but all there runs are out of shotgun an it just does not work.

I wish the CPU just came out in a D formation that fitted what you were running on offense. Because the spread is meant to creat running lanes by spreading people out but the CPU just refuses to even play anything close to real football

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »