Home

How intelligent actually is the CPU?

This is a discussion on How intelligent actually is the CPU? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
How intelligent actually is the CPU?

Basically, what I'm wondering is if the CPU actually learns or takes into account what you do in a game.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that if you run on the first down, then use a play-action pass on the second down, the CPU D are more likely to be fooled by the play-action and will become more out of position.

But for example, if you always pass the ball on almost every down in a game, will they select the majority of their plays specifically to counter the pass, and therefore in effect pretty much forget about worrying about stopping a run?

And also, when you set up your D play, will the good QB's (ones with high awareness I'm guessing) try to read your D and make appropriate audibles of hot routes to counter this?

And if you, for example, try to blitz every play for most of the game, will they change their play calling to get the ball away asap or keep some extra men to block?

Last edited by Chivs; 09-12-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: How intelligent actually is the CPU?

In terms of play calling, they are psychic. You can run a spread set all game long, call your first running play all game in the 3rd quarter and they randomly come out in a 4-3 knowing you are about to run it. Same thing for passing the ball. If you have ran the ball 15 times on all 15 first downs, then on that 16th first down you come out and run play action, the CPU will not bite on it and will more than likely tackle you instead of the running back before you have a chance to throw the ball.

The play calling system needs to be completely reworked as does most the CPU's actions.

― Plato
Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Ahh this is what I hoped I wouldn't hear. Pretty much takes out any intelligent or strategical play calling as you go throughout the game, and its basically pot luck whether your play comes off or not then. :/

I mean, I wouldn't even care if it was in there but they just weren't very good at doing it. The fact that they were at least actually trying to do something would be enough for me.

Last edited by Chivs; 09-12-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
In terms of play calling, they are psychic. You can run a spread set all game long, call your first running play all game in the 3rd quarter and they randomly come out in a 4-3 knowing you are about to run it. Same thing for passing the ball. If you have ran the ball 15 times on all 15 first downs, then on that 16th first down you come out and run play action, the CPU will not bite on it and will more than likely tackle you instead of the running back before you have a chance to throw the ball.

The play calling system needs to be completely reworked as does most the CPU's actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivs
Ahh this is what I hoped I wouldn't hear. Pretty much takes out any intelligent or strategical play calling as you go throughout the game, and its basically pot luck whether your play comes off or not then. :/
I disagree with this. The CPU playcalling is woefully inadequate, but I strongly disagree that they are "psychic". I personally feel that they don't "learn" at all really. This is why you may see them have a good play call when you run the ball after passing 15 straight times because they don't learn to play the pass. They will stay mixing it up that whole time with run and pass defenses. It's extremely easy to pass downfield through the middle on the CPU as they sit in zones all the time. It doesn't matter if you do it five times in a row they don't learn or call a play that can stop it. They also call engage eight and corner blitzes way too often resulting in big gains or even touchdowns if you have a tight end or slot receiver going down the middle.

Essentially, there is no "psychic" playcalling by the CPU, there really isn't any visible adjustments made by the CPU to your playcalling. The only noticable thing the CPU "learns" that I have noticed, is that if you don't mix up your snap count, they will jump it all the time.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

NCAA 09: Adaptive AI

EA, where is it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

The computer basically is as smart and adaptive as a sponge. All I do is play around with them until I catch them in a jailbreak blitz and hit a big pass or run play for a td. Some people on here will argue that adaptive ai is in play you must be a smart playcaller blah blah blah. Nothing is further from the truth. This game is easy not really because it's setup that way but because it's so easy to exploit the inadequacies of the CPU. If I really want to beat the CPU in a game I can. Even Fist stated in the slider section that no sliders can overcome these exploits. As for myself I'm going to eBay it while the values decent. It's a shame too because it's so close to being a really great game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »