Home

How to stop the QB run?

This is a discussion on How to stop the QB run? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
MVP

stewart#28's Arena

OVR: 0
How to stop the QB run?

anyone have a suggestion to the best D to run that will stop QB option or running 4/5 WR set, and then running a QB draw?
12' 12-4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: How to stop the QB run?

From the looks of what happened Saturday.....no.

On a more serious note, nickle or dime then have 2 men spying usually stops me pretty will with DRob.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
MVP

stewart#28's Arena

so 2 man spy is geared to stop QB scrambles/options...even though it doesn't specifically mention QB in the D call?
12' 12-4
Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart#28
so 2 man spy is geared to stop QB scrambles/options...even though it doesn't specifically mention QB in the D call?
Firstly, "spy" has an implied "QB" in the title as every single spy (the guy in the solid orange circle) just watches and mirrors the QB. That's his entire job.

Secondly, the guy above you mentioned "2 men spying" which sounds like he's saying they set 2 different players to spy. You mentioned "2 man spy" which is a cover 2 man defense with 1 guy spying the QB.

There may be plays with multiple spies, but you can always hot route any defender to spy the QB.

Also, contains work great against scrambling as well. In those the containing person won't run the QB or drop back in covereage but instead will head a little towards the sideline (whereas a spy will try to stay directly equal east/west with the QB). A play like DE contain has both DEs playing contain on either side of the field and someone (usually a LB) spying the QB. Of course the problem with this is that you've assigned 3 people on defense to stop the QB.

You can also put your DEs in contain by pushing the LB and then pushing up on the right stick.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 09-16-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Pro

xxjgbxx's Arena

OVR: 9

set the DE to DE Contain then user the MLB also set to big hit and strip to balanced if thats all he is doing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
MVP

stewart#28's Arena

thanks guys...i will hit the practice mode to work it out, appreciate it.
12' 12-4
Old 09-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 7

The real answer though is if you have someone who is good at using a running QB and is pretty good at the game its hard to stop. He will just audible to the HB on a run audible to a quick strike, audible to an over the top pass ect....

I once had a guy literally playing me with 5 guys 2 DE's in contain and 3 CB's(I think he was in dime) spying. I couldn't run but I sure could exploit the holes in the throwing game, plus I had a lot of time to throw as well. Then once he didn't have a choice anymore and started to defend the pass I just started burning him with my legs.

Generally with this type of offense the defense doesn't stop you....you stop you.

Last edited by zippz; 09-16-2010 at 01:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »