Home

An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs

This is a discussion on An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #17
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs

Another problem is the playbooks. Ya this year was blah blah blah play as your teams offense but they still dont have it right. Most of the LSU game I saw Newton as the only guy in the backfield with a wing TE/FB behind the guard and tackle and sometimes even 1 or 2 more TEs, acting as if Newton WAS the runningback. There is only 1 formation like that in NCAA excluding the wildcat. Michigans playbook is way off the one they play in real life. The spread playbooks in this game are way too "spread-balanced" as you said.
NCAAB:West Virginia
MLB: Texas Rangers
Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #18
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lccowboys
Another problem is the playbooks. Ya this year was blah blah blah play as your teams offense but they still dont have it right. Most of the LSU game I saw Newton as the only guy in the backfield with a wing TE/FB behind the guard and tackle and sometimes even 1 or 2 more TEs, acting as if Newton WAS the runningback. There is only 1 formation like that in NCAA excluding the wildcat. Michigans playbook is way off the one they play in real life. The spread playbooks in this game are way too "spread-balanced" as you said.
In EA's defense, Michigan's offense this year is vastly different with Robinson @ the helm than it was last year with Forcier as the QB.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
So in order for the game to work properly we should have to go through and edit all the awareness ratings of the default roster and every incoming recruiting class? You're saying there's this magical way to fix the CPU's AI that EA has completely disregarded for no reason?
No, I'm saying there is a way to improve gameplay

Whether people choose to do it or not it's up to them....but my point is this game can be edited just like NBA 2K11 is edited to provide better player tendencies and guys on the 2K boards edit the ratings

Just like people edit the Players in Backbreaker to make it play better

In regards to EA disregarding the ratings what else is new?

They probably don't have time or the right people that sit around and test how some ratings translate to the field....

Hell it's no different from NBA Live 10 tweak the ratings and the game has more more to offer because EA doesn't really put too much into their ratings to effect player tendencies

So it's not anything magical it's more about just paying attention to detail when you tweak the ratings. It doesn't bother me because i have the patience and at the end of the day i get to see overall better gameplay experience.

But hey like I said some people won't know certain things are possible because more than likely they probably assumed what they see out of the box is all there is to the game.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #20
Rookie

kirkdawg's Arena

OVR: 4

The problem I see with QB running is that in dynasty, if you look at the stats, the QB is usually the 2nd leading rusher on the team. This is a major problem for teams with legit pro-style QBs. It also means that #2 RBs get very few carries. I usually see Trent Richardson get 40 or fewer carries for a season, while McElroy gets well over 100.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Here's the thing, a lot of us only play Dynasty mode where you can't edit ratings once the Dynasty has started. So unless Tiburon changes their policy of not allowing ratings editing during an Active Dynasty we are dependent of them getting players to play correctly with the ratings they give them. We want the players that we recruit in years 1 through whatever to play as well as any players who we edit from the default roster. That is the crux of the issue.
That's not my debate....

My debate is you can get the CPU players to do some of the things that have been mentioned.

10 year dynasties are not my thing....i focus on SHORT TERM GAMEPLAY enough to give me 2-3 years of effective gameplay in that type of mode.

So naturally messing with ratings won't help you if you play those 4-10 years dynasties. But messing with ratings will benefit the guy like myself who's not interested in playing long dynasties and wants the best possible gameplay for the short term.

But then again when you download rosters from the forums do you worry about the ratings that were edited by those rosters lasting beyond 2-3 years?

I'm pretty sure most people just grab the rosters and enjoy what ever ratings were adjusted by the roster maker at that time.

What i do is no different from any of the default rosters that are edited accept I only spend time doing it by creating Legendary players and get a little more detailed with it overall in order to improve things like Mobile QB logic or RB's style of play Power Runner, Elusive Runner or Balanced type runners.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 10-25-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #22
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I've gone over this 10 times with you Playmakers. I play CPU/CPU and Coach Mode games. I've seen the CPU at its best and worst without User influence.

I've also done roster, slider, and all other kinds of editing. I've made players have 99 in all critical ratings to make them scramble.

Sure there are games where I can get Nesbitt to run for 150 yards. And then the next game he runs for 10 yards on 20 carries. The option is incredibly inconsistent and mostly depends on whether the CPU defense is running in zone/man. I have saved about 50 videos of great option runs or great QB scrambles, but they are isolated events. They aren't a sign that this is how the player performs on a regular basis.

And regardless of what edits you choose to do, there are certain playbooks and players who will not run.

Make Terrelle Pryor 99 in every key rating to create a scrambling QB. Then give the CPU Ohio State's playbook. Tell me how many times he scrambles in that game. Tell me how many rushing yards he'll have. If you can get him to average over 5 carries and 25 yards per game in a CPU/CPU game then you have achieved the impossible because it's not going to happen.

Ratings are not the holy grail so stop the salesman pitch.

There are a lot of things that need to change in the core game engine for QB's to act like their real life counterparts.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #23
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Absolutely, this needs to be better in NCAA '12. This is the "year of the running QB" with guys like Newton, Denard, T Magic and Kaepernick putting up legendary numbers on the ground, so I'd love to see this worked on for next year.

Some of the keys to doing this:

1. Enhancing the spread running games. The spread option was implemented OK this year, but there's so much more they can do with true to life schemes. Get better flow and commit by the defense. Get the H Back involved in the blocking sheme like Michigan and Auburn do regularly. Get the zone blocking to work correctly so the OLine actually moves a little bit instead of just blocking to their right. Auburn's staple is having Newton run the QB keeper up the middle while having their RB take the hand offs outside around the edge. This needs to be duplicated as well.

2. The QB fake animations NEED to be faster. The QB gets stuck in quicksand way too often.

3. The Pistol needs to be a point of emphasis. So many more teams are running versions of the pistol and it's allowing a team like UCLA who has zero passing game and average mobile QBs to really have some great games running.

4. We need a "Ball Handling" Rating. Just like the play action in Madden, this will determine how much the defense is faked out on both option and play action plays. This will help separate the Oregons and Auburns who are always good at deceiving the defense. Their QBs would have a higher ball handling rating to cause more misreads by the defense.

5. When playing the CPU, QBs must play to their strengths better.

Last edited by Palo20; 10-25-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #24
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

This is my #1 wish for next year's game. EA needs to improve the scrambling logic which needs to have scrambling QBs take off a lot more and spread option QBs need to run the spread a lot better. I want more focus on the cpu AI and offline players this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »