Home

An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs

This is a discussion on An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 34
An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs

Guys like Cam Netwon are a perfect example of what I mean. He's really a Half Back, taking direct snaps, who can throw just well enough.

Instead of rating QBs as Pocket, Balanced, Scrambler...I think it would be more accurate to rate them like:

Pro-Style Passer
Spread-Balanced
Spread-Option.

A Pro Style Passer would be self explanitory

Spread-Balanced would be a guy who can Run well, and Throw, think Colt McCoy

Spread-Option, would be your Cam Newton types.

Their ratings would be closer to a Running Back then a traditional QB.

Right nopw Scrambling QBs, throw waaaaaaaaaaaay too well.

You get the advantage of their speed, but not the disadvantage of them being mediocre passers.

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 10-24-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs

I agree. The lack of true running QB's in the game takes away. I would love to see guys that will make 1 read and take off like in real life. I will say that Cam Newton is a better passer then people think. He doesn't have to throw the ball to win and he does not have the best of receivers.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I agree. The lack of true running QB's in the game takes away. I would love to see guys that will make 1 read and take off like in real life. I will say that Cam Newton is a better passer then people think. He doesn't have to throw the ball to win and he does not have the best of receivers.

Valid point.

Also from a user perspective, the game isnt too friendly to running with the "scrambler" QB, out of the shotgun.

The blocking logic is better, but not where it needs to be in order to run for 700-1000 yards with that kind of QB.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

The AI needs to be improved next year as well because when your playing against a michigan or an auburn you ever see the CPU scramble with there QB when in real life thats almost all Cam Newton and Denard Robinson do.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Ratings are not the problem. There already are plenty of guys who fit the Option QB profile which are generated in each prospect class.

You could rate Newton a 99 in most running ratings and he still won't play like he does in real life if the CPU is controlling Auburn. That's because the game design, AI, and play calling all leave much to be desired.

Only user controlled QB's can perform similar to their real life counterparts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Ratings are not the problem. There already are plenty of guys who fit the Option QB profile which are generated in each prospect class.

You could rate Newton a 99 in most running ratings and he still won't play like he does in real life if the CPU is controlling Auburn. That's because the game design, AI, and play calling all leave much to be desired.

Only user controlled QB's can perform similar to their real life counterparts.
Agreed. This is the issue. There are plenty of guys with the necessary ratings to be a good running QB. The problem is the AI and the blocking logic on spread option plays.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

The problem is also that the scrambling QBs would rather take sacks instead of scramble for yards. Every QB in the game is programmed to behave like a pocket passer, thats the real problem.

― Plato
Old 10-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Guys like Cam Netwon are a perfect example of what I mean. He's really a Half Back, taking direct snaps, who can throw just well enough.

Instead of rating QBs as Pocket, Balanced, Scrambler...I think it would be more accurate to rate them like:

Pro-Style Passer
Spread-Balanced
Spread-Option.

A Pro Style Passer would be self explanitory

Spread-Balanced would be a guy who can Run well, and Throw, think Colt McCoy

Spread-Option, would be your Cam Newton types.

Their ratings would be closer to a Running Back then a traditional QB.

Right nopw Scrambling QBs, throw waaaaaaaaaaaay too well.

You get the advantage of their speed, but not the disadvantage of them being mediocre passers.
Yep. NCAA has to find a way to make dual-threat QB's a reality next year or I might take a break from this series. It is horrible to see a guy like Denard Robinson averaging 2.9 YPC and getting less than 10 carries per game in my dynasty. Same with Cam Newton.

Dual-threat QB's is what separates college from the NFL. Without the distinction, the game just doesn't feel right at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »