Home

NCAA Football 12 literally unplayable

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 12 literally unplayable within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: NCAA Football 12 literally unplayable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan
You aren't reading much then, it's a widespread issue if you look at the bugs thread stickied. The freezes come at all sorts of points, too. In my case (360) I had a one person OD permanently freeze to where the OD is unloadable, in the second season. Could be because I was using a Teambuilder team, or changed conferences in the off-season. My 2nd OD I avoided using Teambuilder or conference changes, and I've made it all the way to season 5. HOWEVER, after every week's game, I have to exit then re-enter the OD or it freezes. I can't play two week's games one after the other or the screen goes black and the 360 freezes. 100% of the time.
That's horrible.

Hopefully EA is aware and the patch(es) addresses this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #26
Banned

I guess I haven't been reading the forums much and I definitely haven't been playing the game too much, either.

It's insane that these types of things can make it through testing. I mean, I can see a few bugs slipping through the cracks but constant freezing issues should at the very least delay the release date. I wholeheartedly believe that EA knew about the problem and released the game anyway. They always fall back on patches, which isn't always a bad thing, but this is pretty terrible, especially if it's as widespread as it seems.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #27
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
It's insane that these types of things can make it through testing. I mean, I can see a few bugs slipping through the cracks but constant freezing issues should at the very least delay the release date. I wholeheartedly believe that EA knew about the problem and released the game anyway. They always fall back on patches, which isn't always a bad thing, but this is pretty terrible, especially if it's as widespread as it seems.
I don't think it's insane at all. Disappointing? Sure, but definitely not farfetched and/or inconceivable.

Here's the thing: EA Tiburon probably has some sort of strict development timeline they have to stick to to meet some mandated deadline set by the suits. Given (A) the cost to make a AAA video game, and (B) the cost of the exclusivity license for NCAA properties, a delay to fix bugs isn't an option from a financial standpoint.

To that end, I'd surmise that much of the stability fixing towards the end of the development cycle probably focuses on the most common issues; perhaps there were simply an overwhelming number of bugs in the process of making this year's game?

By no means does any of that excuse the practice of releasing a wholly buggy game (admittedly I have only seen the invisible formations in custom playbooks bug and exactly one game freeze), but it's the cold (likely) reality of the situation regarding producing video games today. The economics demand a product.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
I don't think it's insane at all. Disappointing? Sure, but definitely not farfetched and/or inconceivable.

Here's the thing: EA Tiburon probably has some sort of strict development timeline they have to stick to to meet some mandated deadline set by the suits. Given (A) the cost to make a AAA video game, and (B) the cost of the exclusivity license for NCAA properties, a delay to fix bugs isn't an option from a financial standpoint.

To that end, I'd surmise that much of the stability fixing towards the end of the development cycle probably focuses on the most common issues; perhaps there were simply an overwhelming number of bugs in the process of making this year's game?

By no means does any of that excuse the practice of releasing a wholly buggy game (admittedly I have only seen the invisible formations in custom playbooks bug and exactly one game freeze), but it's the cold (likely) reality of the situation regarding producing video games today. The economics demand a product.
I see your point, but widespread, routine freezing goes beyond the realm of a "bug." Usually when I read threads that have the word "unplayable" in it, I roll my eyes, but this thread has some respected posters saying that it's a definite problem.

Bugs happen and we all know that and mostly accept it, but freezing attacks the very core and playability of the game. I understand your points and deadlines and all that; it just doesn't make sense to me that a respected company would put their stamp of approval on a product that can often times be unplayable for a vast majority of their consumers.

I know it'll never happen but these types of things are perfect examples on why I wish some titles only released every two years. If a development cycle and deadlines are too tough, maybe releasing the product every year needs to stop. I realize this is not economically feasible, but in a perfect world I wish it was.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #29
Left side, strong side

C the Lyte's Arena

OVR: 18

Freezing has been an issue for this game. Too many people have complained about it and it is going to be patched.

Me personally, I haven't had much of an issue with freezes (360). I did have one last nyte that pissed me off royally. Mid way through 3rd qtr in a 7-3 ball game with Neb @ Mich. Best game I have had to date, and bam...a DJ Kool song busts out all of a sudden.

Issue is out there though.

I have noticed a trend. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to download PS3 games to the harddrive before you can play them, right?

And, 360 owners that have DL'ed the game to their HD also claim to have no freezing issues, right? If that's the case, that's the solution.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #30
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by C the Lyte
Freezing has been an issue for this game. Too many people have complained about it and it is going to be patched.

Me personally, I haven't had much of an issue with freezes (360). I did have one last nyte that pissed me off royally. Mid way through 3rd qtr in a 7-3 ball game with Neb @ Mich. Best game I have had to date, and bam...a DJ Kool song busts out all of a sudden.

Issue is out there though.

I have noticed a trend. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to download PS3 games to the harddrive before you can play them, right?

And, 360 owners that have DL'ed the game to their HD also claim to have no freezing issues, right? If that's the case, that's the solution.
I have downloaded the game to my 360 HD and still had some freezing. On PS3 you cannot download the game to your HD period.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #31
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
I have downloaded the game to my 360 HD and still had some freezing. On PS3 you cannot download the game to your HD period.
I don't believe that is correct; in fact IIRC some games (looking at Metal Gear Solid 4 and Gran Turismo 5) have mandatory installs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #32
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
I have downloaded the game to my 360 HD and still had some freezing.

Ditto, me too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »