Home

CPU option defense

This is a discussion on CPU option defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: CPU option defense

I run the triple option with Air Force and I'm pretty sure there's no issues that I've seen with the CPU option defense. Actually, I'm noticing more that when the DE crashes down to give me the "keep" read, he then peels off when I keep and tackles my QB before I can pitch the ball to the 3rd option. Almost every play that the DE crashes this happens.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman
Last night I played a game where I ran nothing but option plays with both teams. If I turned the ball over I just switched teams and did it again. Everytime something fishy happened I went to straight to the replays and checked.

This is a non issue. I started feeling that way after the last few days since it has only been small minority of people on here even talking about it. There are some instances with the CPU does some crazy stupid in videos that people have posted but I don't think that has anything to do with the option plays, I think that has more to do with EA needed to correct awareness issues on the defensive side of the ball.

My OD will be running option plays.
I agree. First let me say I noticed the things people are saying before this patch. Every so often a defensive player would go into a standby mode where it was clear he was "stuck" in "watch" mode but would never go for the tackle. It would happen for the CPU and for me.

But it was rare and didn't make the option cheesy or easy. I don't see it any more prevalent post patch. I think people see something that is messed up and instantly declare it's broken and somehow intimate it happens every play every time. This simply isn't true. The game has many AI flaws that crop up in various situations. If that's your criteria for it being broken then the whole game is broken (some probably would say it is). A couple of videos showing a bad defense against the option does not by any means prove it happens every single time or any more than any other glitch. From my experience it doesn't.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Last night I played a game where I ran nothing but option plays with both teams. If I turned the ball over I just switched teams and did it again. Everytime something fishy happened I went to straight to the replays and checked.

This is a non issue. I started feeling that way after the last few days since it has only been small minority of people on here even talking about it. There are some instances with the CPU does some crazy stupid in videos that people have posted but I don't think that has anything to do with the option plays, I think that has more to do with EA needed to correct awareness issues on the defensive side of the ball.

I haven't done a lot of testing, but from the replays, it seems to happen when the CPU is in cover 3. It is A problem, because it makes cover 3 exploitable against option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
I agree. First let me say I noticed the things people are saying before this patch. Every so often a defensive player would go into a standby mode where it was clear he was "stuck" in "watch" mode but would never go for the tackle. It would happen for the CPU and for me.

But it was rare and didn't make the option cheesy or easy. I don't see it any more prevalent post patch. I think people see something that is messed up and instantly declare it's broken and somehow intimate it happens every play every time. This simply isn't true. The game has many AI flaws that crop up in various situations. If that's your criteria for it being broken then the whole game is broken (some probably would say it is). A couple of videos showing a bad defense against the option does not by any means prove it happens every single time or any more than any other glitch. From my experience it doesn't.
For me it is happening 2-3 times a game. I could post dozens of videos (some instances where 2 defensive players look like they have stared directly into the eyes of Medusa and don't even twitch towards the runner). I don't know if it happens on every option play called but it happens enough to notice and become an annoyance. With me primarily playing this game in coach mode it can become pretty irritating to watch me or cpu give up a game winning or go ahead td in such a fashion. Don't know if it's slider related, ratings related, or some bandaid by EA to open up the option play post patch.

P.S. I still this game.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:

EA needs to fix the AWR of all players. The AWR settings are far too low, which causes DUMB things to occur (such as throwing into quadruple coverage, throwing the ball out of bounds on a slant before the WR's break...QB's not running the option right).
Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think the "run only" option defense is fine. The problem occurs when the offense runs out of a play that has passing as an option. The DBs think it is a pass, and don't realize it is a run until the RB is 10 yards downfield. It isn't this way with all pass/run option plays, but some.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »