Home

Run Defense

This is a discussion on Run Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Run Defense

I need help. Im in an online dynasty with 4 other friends. We are using the SEC, and I am Arkansas. We are 3 years in and my D is now rated a B(it has gone down every year). We play on Heisman level with default sliders. When I play the computer I have no trouble stopping the run, I am constantly ranked in the top 5 against the run against the computer. When I play the other guys its like Im playing with a D- defense against the run. They average around 8 yds a carry. They end up running it non stop because it works so well. They dont cheese and run goal line everyplay either. We are real legit players. I need some advice on what defense to use to help slow this down. It has killed my seasons. I have tried 4-2-5,3-4,3-3-5,dime,nickel,5-2. I just dont know what to do. Any advice would be helpful and I will try it out. Im tired of the trash talk Im receiving. Also no one is Alabama so its not that.

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Run Defense

My favorite play to stop the run is actually a Cover 3, because it brings down the safety into an insert zone. Cover 3 can obviously be run in any front, but your best bet to stop the run is the 4-3 Under. Out of the 4-3 Under, you're going to want to stick to the under front against a single tight end set(with your outside linebacker heads up on the tight end) , go to nickel (specifically a 4-2 nickel, or "nickel normal", keep your big hefties on the field) against three or even 4 wide, and Dime for four or five wide receivers on the field.

When facing a two tight end set, if there is one tight on each side of the line, switch to a 4-3 Normal. If the offense is under-center, "pinch" your linebackers closer to eachother, chances are that the offense is going inside. However, if the offense is in shotgun, just leave the linebackers alone. Also, if the offense has both tight ends on one side of the line, your best bet is to audible to the 46 Bear (specifically 2 Man Under, because then your two outside linebackers will be head up on the tight ends in man coverage, but you will still have help over the top if anyone gets beat).

Lastly, stunt your D-Line! I cannot stress how important this is. If you're going to take anything from this, your D-line is paramount to stopping the run (and the pass, really). This can be accomplished by pressing RB and then pressing the right stick in the direction that you want to stunt towards, or the equivalent on the PS3. Left is stunt left, right is stunt right, down is pinch, and up is contain QB (although this last one is probably better for rushing the QB than containing him). Now, I find that in shotgun, it is best to stunt your line away from the running back because of the backside pursuit (if the RB is on your right, stunt to your left). Also, it's typically a good idea to slant away from power running games. You will get a feel with your D-Line and stunting the more you use it though.

By the way, the Cover 3 can also mask different coverages. If you are still having trouble with the run even after all that^, you may want to throw in some blitzes. There are many plays that have the same exact look as the basic Cover 3, but are actually sending the safety, linebackers, or a combination on a blitz. Cover 1 looks quite a bit like Cover 3 as well. Be careful against trips (three eligible receivers to one side of the line) however, because that will tear up Cover 3. So in most trips situations, you're going to want to audible to a Cover 6, with the two deep quarter coverage (they will be the smaller blue zones) to the trips side. Keep a Cover 6 audible handy for your 4-3 Under and your Nickel Normal, you will use it often.

Hope that helps a bit, feel free to ask any questions. I'm pretty good with a 3-4 defense as well, if that's what you want to run instead.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
4-4 and 4-3 will be your best friend.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12

Aggressive zone d setting also helps.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I agree with the cover 3 suggestion. Cover 3 is a HUGE part of my defensive scheme. If I'm not bringing pressure or in man, you can bet I'm probably in cover 3.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I agree with the cover 3 suggestion. Cover 3 is a HUGE part of my defensive scheme. If I'm not bringing pressure or in man, you can bet I'm probably in cover 3.
I third cover 3 as a good all-around play. Not the best per any situation really, but it never leaves you exposed like say 1-5-5 Nickle

I also like the 4-2-5 Bullets Dbl A play. I dunno why but I get really good results against the run. Pass, not so much
Setting zone depth to aggressive also helps.

I like to spread my linemen, it seems counter intuitive but it spreads out the offensive line just a shred, and while it creates gaps for the offense, it allows you to smoke them with a LB. You might give up 4 yards a carry for awhile, but once you get your opponents strategies down you can switch to a different play in 4-2-5 (cover 3, SS Eagle Zone, etc).
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Rookie

bradchadford's Arena

OVR: 3

4-3 formation= thunder smoke or lb dogs...pinch the d-line in and spread the lb's to set the edge. Don't over pursue with bull rush moves..wait to see the runners intentions then make a move.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Rookie

Juce734's Arena

OVR: 2

These are all helpful tips! We should do a thread like this for pass defense.

I have a really hard time on pass defense against my friends. They shred me in h2h online play.

Currently playing NCAA 2014
PSN: Juce734 website http://www.rpgjuce.com/

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »