Home

Why Not Having 85 Man Rosters Severely Hinders the Realism of NCAA Football

This is a discussion on Why Not Having 85 Man Rosters Severely Hinders the Realism of NCAA Football within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How Important are 85 Man Rosters to the Realism of NCAA Football?
Extremely Important 90 58.44%
Somewhat Important 40 25.97%
Undecided 3 1.95%
Somewhat Unimportant 13 8.44%
Extremely Unimportant 8 5.19%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
Banned

mackattack14's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Why Not Having 85 Man Rosters Severely Hinders the Realism of NCAA Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarato
Wow at that logic , wow.
Well, we only had 30 players on my team in high school. So what's the difference? Wow at YOUR logic
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13

I think what these guys are trying to say is having 85 man rosters makes the recruiting better, you dont have to cut guys if you sign too big of class. I guess they could not let you over sign players during recruiting. Nick Saban would be pissed.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2

Give us 85 + 5 walkons, how hard would that be?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackattack14
Well, we only had 30 players on my team in high school. So what's the difference? Wow at YOUR logic
I'm not sure you 100% understand the argument that's being presented. Its not about the number of players you use during a game. Its about developing those bench warmers on the lower prestige schools and once they're no long riding the pine developing the next crop of starters.

Do we need 85? Meh, idk but certainly 75-80 scholarship spots
Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
Pro

Special27K's Arena

Also regarding the set up now, those "cut" players just disappear forever. Its not like being sent to a gas chamber and never playing the game of football again or disappearing off the face of the earth. I would like to see them transfer, at least some of them as some do go to FCS or D2 schools.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
By the time those frosh would develop into someone worth playing i have new recruits i can use.
This is my point, if you're playing as a 4-6 star school you just bring in a new 4/5 star recruit and he comes in ready to play. No issue. If you're a 1-3 star school though you're bringing in lower rated recruits who have to redshirt and develop before they're ready to play.

Smaller schools HAVE to care about their 3rd string FS and 8th string WR because they aren't bringing in game-ready recruits next season. A lot of times those guys are going to be starters or at least in the two-deep next season.

For those schools to be competitive they have to stash players away to develop even if they won't sniff the field for 2-3 years and increasing the roster sizes to a realistic size would allow you to reflect that.

At the end of the day, it's about realism. There are 85 scholarship players allowed in NCAA Football, we're basically just asking for the roster size to be realistic.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
Pro

The size of the roster in the end can't make up for lack of realism in the game itself. Sure a fat roster would be more, "realistic", but come on really. The game needs more AI to feel more organic or real, not an 85 man roster.

Yet, I see your technical point about the roster.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

If they want to fix progression and not make it random than sure.

The way it is though, it's really irrelevant at the moment. It may not be realistic but I barely ever have to cut someone and be upset about it.

If they make it so we can actually develop players so things like a physical player that may not be very football smart / technically adverse so he is a low OVR initially and we can have him focus his training on a specific category of his game, than sure.

EA won't add that feature any time soon, so I won't be too concerned about it, they have a long line of things to fix, if they don't fix progression than expanding rosters is really just going to cause more issues with higher schools stockpiling talent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »