Home

Running with the QB...

This is a discussion on Running with the QB... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Rookie

dre1919's Arena

OVR: 2
Running with the QB...

I have a "scrambling" QB with 87 speed and an 81 acceleration, so you wouldn't think that running would be all that hard. However, when I scramble out of a pass play it's a toss up whether he gets yards or gets hammered. Worse yet, on options and QB runs he usually nets about 2.8 yards per carry. What's up with that? I'm playing on a PS3 with the difficulty set at AA. I realize one thing that doesn't help is EA removing the handy "pull the passing icons down" button they used to have, because without it, your QB is running virtually in slow motion until he crosses the LOS. Is there a better way to gain rushing yardage as a QB? I am running my own playbook, a much more efficient (I like to think so anyway) and creative version of Notre Dame's spread. Any thoughts on this subject are appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Running with the QB...

do you use the sprint button?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

It seems like running QBs were nerfed this year. Even burners like Darron Thomas accelerate like they are knee-deep in mud.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

It doesn't help that on passing plays, your qb has to do the exact drop then get set before you can even attempt to run around...so annoying
Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatek99
It doesn't help that on passing plays, your qb has to do the exact drop then get set before you can even attempt to run around...so annoying
This part doesn't bother me until I see a corner blitz and I can't do anything about it.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

It sounds like you aren't using the sprint button. I think it's R2 (havent played the game in months lol).

One annoying thing I never quite figured out was when you crossed the LOS with the QB and he would temporarily slow down (and do this weird truck animation).
Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Rookie

dre1919's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
do you use the sprint button?
Yeah, but it doesn't seem to help all that much. Perhaps it's just the coverage? I mean, I know the "slow mo till past the LOS" doesn't help...but I would think he'd do better. In some cases he'll break free and bust out a 15 yard gain or something...I guess I just figure it would happen a lot more often against the CPU. It definitely isn't like it used to be.

(Back when I could make Carlyle Holiday from Notre Dame the second coming of Mike Vick. LOL.)
Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
Rookie

MathisJones's Arena

OVR: 0

I have a QB who could've switched to WR successfully (best spin move on the team, best agility, good hands, etc) & I have no problem with getting yards with him. He gets sacked a lot because I think I can get out of more than I should, but I averaged like 7 or 8 yards an attempt when he was a back up & about 4 the first year as a starter.

The trick is to not try to outrun defensive ends to the outside. If the pocket breaks, use it to your advantage & run UPFIELD, not side-to-side. Wide Receivers will block for you & you could break some big runs. I had a 90 yarder against LSU in the National Championship game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »