Home

2 man under defense too powerful?

This is a discussion on 2 man under defense too powerful? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
2 man under defense too powerful?

Its primarily on the 2 man under defense. The new inside trail technique allows the DB to always assume the WR is running a cross or slant or square in. These are the times the MCV rating doesnt apply based off of the technique of the DB. That is why outs are open because it turns their hips on the cut and curls or any route coming back to the corner is open. 2 man under is a deadly defense and no fun if played all game long. Even if you reduce the PRC slider to 0 the technique and strategy of the play will still have the DB in front of the crossing route all night long.

On heisman due to this defense I have grabbed 3 ints in a half going against Matt Barkley(USC) with USF as my defense. The technique and strategy is sound however talent should always overcome this. If I have a faster WR than the DB even though the DB sees the drag I should still be able to pass him with my speed and thats the problem with this game.....SPEED!!!

On heisman I can take a DE with 62 spd 38 MCV against a WR with 92SPD and 77 RTE and the DE will win on crossing routes ran by the receiver 80% of the time because of the inside trail technique by the DE (I had him playing the LOLB against a 3WR set; threshold at 50). Ridiculous!!!

The only way around this that I have seen separation on those inside routes against 2 man under is by moving the speed threshold to between 0-25. I can take a DE with 62 spd 38 MCV against a WR with 92SPD and 77 RTE and the WR will win on crossing routes ran by the receiver 90% of the time. However, I can take a CB with 90 spd 70 MCV against a WR with 92SPD and 77 RTE and the CB will win on crossing routes ran by the receiver 80% of the time.

Therefore, what is left to do is to lower the speeds of the DBs. What I used is the AWR rating to adjust the speed of my DBs. For example, if my DB has a SPD of 90 and AWR of 80, I take the difference btw the two numbers (10) and divide by 2 (10/2 = 5) and add that number to the lowest number (80 + 5 = 85) for his new speed. That way you can have more separation for top flight receivers.

The other option is to bring down the INT slider to 10 to keep drives alive for the CPU offense. Because 2 man Under can really hirt very good CPU drives in heisman.

So to recap: 1) Lower speed threshold to less than 25
2) Ratings adjust speed based on AWR
3) Or lower INT slider to 10 or less

or

1) Or lower INT slider to 10 or less and lower spd threshold

or

1) Or match ACC with AWR and lower spd threshold

Thoughts?

Last edited by kzdwfy; 07-29-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: 2 man under defense too powerful?

i know a guy who run this out the nickel 245 an its mad annoying..it can just about stop anything
Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

It is tough, but I find double moves break it. Whips, HB Wheel, etc.
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 07-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
It is tough, but I find double moves break it. Whips, HB Wheel, etc.
Very true, double moves work as well, outs, curls and comebacks work too depending on RTE vs. MCV. Unfortunately the SPD of your WR should also be able to break it but that is not always the case
Old 07-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

EA actually has right knowledge about cover 2 man, but it is implemented incorrectly.

Most db coaches will have their db's play inside technque in man coverage because: outside throws are harder on all levels of football, out of bounds can be used as a defender.

The quickest way to anywhere is a straightline and you will rarely see db's play outside technique unless one the lb's or safties is zoning the middle.

Now with the problems of EA implementation, in inside techniques db's are supposed to stay on the inside hip of wr within arms length which forces to qb's to make perfect throws on inside routes or risk a interception. The game just has the db running the route stride for stride or slightly in front of the wr which is not realist at all.

EA games have always made slant routes too strong, which in real life the most common and hardest route to defend is the curl route. Next time you watch a football watch how passing teams move the ball down field by using primarily curl routes.

Normally a simple cover 2 would limit the effect of slants but the game makes the lb's drop back too far, if cover 2 was done properly a wr would catch the ball on a slant and get blasted by a lb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Rookie

MacDiiddy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype561
EA games have always made slant routes too strong, which in real life the most common and hardest route to defend is the curl route. Next time you watch a football watch how passing teams move the ball down field by using primarily curl routes.
Just to add to your point and validate you, Half the time those are choice/spacing routes. they will stop in between or underneath zone overages.

two man is a solid pass defense in real life though. Not as ridiculous as EA makes it, but still it is a fundamentally sound pass defense. Have you tried running against it?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

EA knows its slant right is too dominant and to combat the terrible cover 2 zone, they just made the cover 2 man stronger.

The slant route is why the NFL has all those tackling/hit (lame) rules now because wr's coming accross and getting blasted by lbs and safties.

I'm 245 lb's and in good shape, I would love for Desean Jackson to run a slant while I'm playing robber as safety or a lb in zone lol
Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

I agree with everything said. It seems near impossible to get decent separation which gets frustrating. I have been have some decent luck leading my wr low and away from the defender on slants and drag routes.
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »