Home

WR Screens are Useless

This is a discussion on WR Screens are Useless within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 20
WR Screens Seem to be Useless

Anybody else notice this? It has been a problem the last couple of years, and at least from my experience it appears to be a major issue again for both the human player and the CPU. Seems like the only WR screen pass that is even semi-useful is the Middle Screen, and even that is very hit and miss. Bubble screens and regular screens seem to get blown up almost every-time.

It seems like the major culprit causing the issues is the atrocious blocking particularly by the other WR's. Half the time they won't even attempt to block anybody, even if there is a defender right in front of them. Thankfully as a human player you have the option to just not call wr screens, unfortunately that doesn't help the CPU.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 08-07-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Pro

HadlerT's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: WR Screens Seem to be Useless

I've noticed this, too. But HB screens are a money play for me, haha.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Sadly I rarely get decent yards on bubbles, but I have a lot of success with normal WR screens. WR mid screens were crazy effective in '12 so they've been toned down a lot in '13. Between normal, bubble, and mid screens, I have the best success with normal screens.

This is all from the SG as I'm a spread option guy so I've never thrown one from under center so I can't speak to those.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

The WR and Bubble Screens as designed are not really all that effective in the game, but there is a way to combine the two plays and get a lot of use out of the WR/FL Screens.

Using WR/FL Screen as a base play, you can hot route the HB in the backfield to a swing (right stick right or left) and hot route the WR who is supposed to receive the screen to either block, run a slant or run a streak and the end result is effectively a HB Bubble Screen with a couple of linemen/TE/slot receivers out front.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: WR Screens are Useless

I wonder if increasing the blocking ratings of WR's might help this issue, since like I said the lack of blocking seems to be the biggest reason why they aren't very effective. Of course, defenders do react a little too quickly to WR screens as well, but alot of the screens are being blown up simply because the other WR's don't end up blocking anybody.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18

Hmmm...I can get decent results with WR screens but almost always get blown up on HB screens.

The thing you have to remember with WR screens is that they are constraint plays. They are meant to counter what the defense is doing and force them back into a relaxed, base defense.

You will be more effective using screens if you run them vs Cover 3/4 zone or vs a heavy blitz. Running them vs man and Cover 2 is very risky (as in real life)

Timing is also very important. On the Mid Screen, count to three and throw (you may have to manually run your QB back to create time). On the bubble/WR screens you can usually let the CPU auto drop, wait a split second to let your blockers start to get into position and then fire (maybe a count of one).

You have to be willing to audible out of the playcall if you see the DBs on the LOS. Forcing any play is asking for disaster.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Bubble screens get yards, it's a weird play though. Generally you have to wait until your QB turns his body to throw the pass or else the CB covering the WR will go super mode and ignore blocking to break it up or pick it. If your QB has turned to the WR the throw should be there for 3-6 (or more if your WR gets free) yards. If it's not there just throw it away and live with the loss of the down without losing yards or turning it over.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Its a combination of Play Recognition and and poor WR blocking out the box. Try raising all WR and TE blocking ratings to 80 and lower players Play Recognition and you will begin to see some awesome screen plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »