Home

Despite Industry Decline, NCAA Still Leads The Pack

This is a discussion on Despite Industry Decline, NCAA Still Leads The Pack within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Despite Industry Decline, NCAA Still Leads The Pack

Very good news for sports gamers.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 10

Well...when you are the only college game out there...who you think would be #1. Every other game on the list has some type of competition.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I think this year is the last year they have the contract anyways and they said they won't be renewing it. With that being said though, from all that I've read if EA doesn't do a game, we simply won't have one. And I know some people here don't much care for a lot of things about the game but still play it and would not like to see us have ZERO option..

I myself love the game, although I agree it's not as advanced as it should be at this point.
This is the last year of the exclusive contract. That does not mean they will not continue to make the game. It simply means another competitor could pop up and compete (highly unlikely).

EA agreed to give up exclusive rights to NCAA as part of an anti-trust lawsuit file against them. Here is the article:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-agre...sivity-6388207

The speculation that EA would discontinue the game is unfounded. True, if sales numbers continue to decline, we could see that sometime in the future. However, I believe the new Infinity Engine and potentially a shift to a next gen of systems in a year or two could breathe life back into the franchise.

I think we are all safe for a few years, minimum.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyShawn
ODogg

Do you have a link to that information? Also to add to this post if they decide to drop the game I would be sad for a short time, but at the end of the day I have other choices on what to do with my money and being I only buy 2-3 games a year now these days. I could spend that money on something else not related to gaming. As it stands now I have not picked up this years NCAA with is a firth for me since the original Xbox days.
Yeah, here's the link to the NCAA license going public..

http://entertainment.topnewstoday.or...ticle/2860145/

Although I like and play EA's game to death..and don't hate the hell out of it and find myself constantly defending it on here I do hope beyond hope that they do get some real competition from someone as that is when EA is at their best, when they have real competition (baseball, hockey anyone??). And besides, it'll be nice for people to have a choice so we can all quit hearing the constant whining of "but it's the only choice" LOL

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95
This is the last year of the exclusive contract. That does not mean they will not continue to make the game. It simply means another competitor could pop up and compete (highly unlikely).

EA agreed to give up exclusive rights to NCAA as part of an anti-trust lawsuit file against them. Here is the article:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-agre...sivity-6388207

The speculation that EA would discontinue the game is unfounded. True, if sales numbers continue to decline, we could see that sometime in the future. However, I believe the new Infinity Engine and potentially a shift to a next gen of systems in a year or two could breathe life back into the franchise.

I think we are all safe for a few years, minimum.
I apologize if I made it sound as if they'd quit making the game due to the license expiring, I was just speaking to two issues and didn't mean they related to one another. I've heard the reason they may quit making it is all the lawsuits about the names and likenesses and also the fact its not near as profitable as games like Madden. I don't hold a LOT of truth to that, I don't think they will quit making it but then again they did quit making college basketball and I didn't think they'd quit making that one either so I dunno..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 08-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplepower_NC
Well...when you are the only college game out there...who you think would be #1. Every other game on the list has some type of competition.
NCAA has competition as well, there are tons of other sports games out there.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #15
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

Leading sales in July isn't really a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. The summer months are notorious for not having too many major releases and being low-selling all together. Come November and the holiday season is when companies put their big numbers out. EA is probably comparing sales of NCAA with their sales of Madden, not against the rest of the industry. If Madden does really well it might mean bad things for NCAA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

I would pay $100 for NCAA 14 if they could get it right!!! Raise the price and fix it!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »