Home

Most unique playbook in NCAA?

This is a discussion on Most unique playbook in NCAA? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Most unique playbook in NCAA?

I was wondering what all of you think the most UNIQUE playbook is in NCAA? Whether it has the most unique formations or set of plays. I want to find something that is just flat out different from your standard playbooks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
The most unique playbook is obviously the one you create for yourself.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Rookie

Mules50's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Most unique playbook in NCAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
The most unique playbook is obviously the one you create for yourself.
What this guy said. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent in playbook creation fine tuning my playbook. I have finally gotten down a playbook that is very small, unique, and fits my play style perfect.

If you are going to go the created playbook route, I would do the following:
1) Pick the type of offense you want to run (spread, pro style, read option, etc.) I have not had any luck with trying to fill a playbook with multiple different types of offenses, just too hectic.
2) Don't put all the plays from a formation in your playbook. One, its just too much to sift through when on the playcalling screen, and two you can really hone a formation to a specific offense by picking plays that support you gameplan.
3) Organize the order of you plays in your formation. This has to be my favorite part of custom playbooks, the ability to set the order of you plays. I have abused this feature so much that I don't even need to look at my playbook, I have memorized the location of most of my plays. For example, if I want to run my favorite passing play (Shotgun Spread-Slot Outs) I know is: down twice, then A. Makes calling plays so much easier.
4) When it all boils down to it, follow the KISS method: Keep It Simple Stupid.

It has increased my enjoyment in this game 10-fold. Take the time to do this and it will reward you.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

To elaborate on my first post and add to what Mules said, CPBs are one of the greatest additions to this game in quite a while. My offensive CPB is straight up spread option and it's jam packed. It has 1 I-form (although I don't even use the formation twice per year), 2 goal lines, 4 different wildcats, 4 pistols, and 25 SG formations. I call about 95% of my plays from SG and I have tons of different looks for that. I've got a bunch of power running formations/plays, all the way through 3 empty sets. I have 6 4 WR/1HB sets with 3 of them being more effective for passing and 3 being great spread option/power running sets. With the ability to pick and choose what formations you want and the ability to pick and choose the plays for each from every available play of that formation allows you to tailor your pb anyway you want.

I'll reiterate Mules' 3rd point as it's also my favorite as well. The ability to sort all of your formations per set is huge. While you can't change the left/right order of the sets (IE. ACE <-> SG <-> Flexbone) you can change the order of the formations per set. This means that for my SG formations they go, from top to bottom, from 2TE -> 3WR -> 4WR -> empty. I even have all of my 3WR power running sets grouped together. For running the no huddle (which I do) this is huge as all of the sets that are similar to the one I called in the huddle are grouped together. Beyond this, however, the ability to order all of your plays per formation is beyond huge. It makes it very, very easy to find the plays that you want. On offense, every single on of the 36 formations in my CPB are ordered like this from left to right, top to bottom:
  • HB runs
  • QB runs
  • WR runs
  • options
  • PA passes
  • screen passes
  • short passes
  • medium passes
  • deep passes
On defense, every single formation is ordered like this:
  • 2 deep zone blitzes
  • 3 deep zone blitzes
  • cover 2 through cover 6 zones
  • 2 deep man
  • cover 1 man
  • cover 0 man blitzes
  • cover 1 man blitzes
  • cover 2 man blitzes
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

How do you organize formations per set? I must have missed this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I dont think you can organize the formations yourself. The formations are set in the order that you add them to the playbook. What I did was choose my playbook I wanted to work from, strip it down to almost nothing, and went on to add the formations I wanted, starting with the heavy sets (Jumbo sets, 2 TE sets) moving down to the more wide open sets (spread, 4wr, 5wr) in all my formations.

I think that makes it easier to get your personnel right when you run the no huddle so you dont have to scroll through 5 or 6 different formations so that you have your FB or TE lined up where they should be and arent getting any WRs lined up where the FB should be. Hope that makes sense

btw, my first post

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »