Home

Does anyone just not play defense?

This is a discussion on Does anyone just not play defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 AM   #41
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Does anyone just not play defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliam
SEC stills plays defense, this was a good year for qbs in the SEC.

The SEC has a good number of senior qbs, and Manziel and Marshall running the no huddle. Watch the number of qbs from the SEC get drafted.

SEC plays more defense compared to other conferences. I will agree that Stanford and Mich State play some good D, but not FSU.
How in the world can you say FSU doesn't play good D? What in the world?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 6

I play only in Coach Mode. But, from a controller-player's perspective, I should think that the difference in difficulty in playing defense versus playing offense should be obvious. I presume that the vast majority of controller players control the OB on offense, thereby controlling the overwhelmingly key player on offense. Contrast that situation with controlling only one of eleven essentially equally important defensive players.

You can test my theory by not controlling the OB on offense, but rather pick a wide receiver or a lineman to control. Then, see how the game goes.

I play on Coach Mode and I see a lot of defense - especially with the editor-modified Yukon46 Roster I'm using, with no QB having a throwing accuracy (PTHA) less than 50 or more than 65. The other night, I played as Alabama against Michigan State in the Rose Bowl and the score at the end of regulation was 3-3. MSU scored a TD in OT to win the game 10-3. Just this afternoon, playing as Alabama, I lost 20-3 at home against Baylor. I play on AA difficulties, with 10-minute quarters, and with all sliders at default, except for reduced Rush Defense for both CPU and User.

Finding a balance in this game requires that you understand how you want to play and how your play style is impacted by the game's strengths and weaknesses.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 1

I rarely play any defense, only during close games and overtime, really. Games would be impossibly long if I were to play every snap.

I wish the supersim was better though. When I rebuild a team I concentrate on the offense and let the defense have lower ranked players in a effort to have closer games or lose, but it still doesn't happen.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 0

I'm not too good at running a 4-3 or 3-4. I prefer the multiple defense with the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5. Throw me some 5-2 in there as well. With a peak team, I'm always #1 in rush defense and mostly top 1-5 in pass defense. I couldn't imagine this success running a 4-3 or 3-4.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #45
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftball11
I agree, the CPU passes way too much. What I have done with my sliders is to try and coax the AI into running more by setting my Run D and Tackling Sliders really low.

...and it seemed to work over the course of the season.
Update on my previous post (quoted above), I am in the middle of my 2nd season and I am gradually seeing teams run on me more. In Game 8, which I just played, Nevada torched me on the ground - 49 rushes for 271 yds and 3 TDs. I know N. Illinois slammed me, in Game 5, with over 50 rushes for 300+ yds and 4 TDs.

The AI was really pass happy during the first 3 games of the year, say 15-20 rushes per game. But in games 4-8, I am seeing (on average) 41.2 rushes a game. I don't know if it is linked to the team's coaching philosophy or if the AI just figured out my Rush D is weak.

I am also curious to know just how much affect the coaching skills of the DCs has on game play. I wish I could max out my DC, who is only a Level 7, to see how that affects the game, but since good coordinators don't hang around long I may never find out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #46
Pro

OVR: 6

It is also possible that the CPU AI reacts to major player-ratings changes. I have used the editor to lower the PKAC (Kicking Accuracy) by 30 points for all Kickers in my active roster. I have left the Kick Accuracy Slider at 50. Now, when I play single games against the CPU in Coach Mode, the CPU does not attempt field goals unless the ball is inside the 30 yard line.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #47
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftball11
Update on my previous post (quoted above), I am in the middle of my 2nd season and I am gradually seeing teams run on me more. In Game 8, which I just played, Nevada torched me on the ground - 49 rushes for 271 yds and 3 TDs. I know N. Illinois slammed me, in Game 5, with over 50 rushes for 300+ yds and 4 TDs.

The AI was really pass happy during the first 3 games of the year, say 15-20 rushes per game. But in games 4-8, I am seeing (on average) 41.2 rushes a game. I don't know if it is linked to the team's coaching philosophy or if the AI just figured out my Rush D is weak.

I am also curious to know just how much affect the coaching skills of the DCs has on game play. I wish I could max out my DC, who is only a Level 7, to see how that affects the game, but since good coordinators don't hang around long I may never find out.
It's been my experience that run heavy teams (their ratio is set by the HC) run and pass heavy teams pass.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliam
SEC stills plays defense, this was a good year for qbs in the SEC.

The SEC has a good number of senior qbs, and Manziel and Marshall running the no huddle. Watch the number of qbs from the SEC get drafted.

SEC plays more defense compared to other conferences. I will agree that Stanford and Mich State play some good D, but not FSU.
FSU had the 3rd best D in the country but yeah, they don't play defense.

The SEC was a joke defensively this year.

Last edited by stormisbruin; 01-25-2014 at 03:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »