Home

Coach Skills & It's Direct Impact On AI

This is a discussion on Coach Skills & It's Direct Impact On AI within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Coach Skills & It's Direct Impact On AI

I thought I had a grasp of this, but apparently not...

To be more aggressive, do you set yourself at 70 or 30?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #18
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

For you guys who like to tinker with ratings, here is a treat for you.

The type of trajectory a CPU QB will throw is based on strength, awareness and throw power. Strength is the KEY factor in trajectory. Without a good amount of strength, it won't matter how high you have throw power or throw accuracy, you will not get the proper trajectory.

So I will quickly breakdown how it all ties together.

1. Strength - opens up the different types of trajectories, which there are quite a lot of and it depends on the distance of the target area. This is the key physical rating for QBs and how their AI performs.

2. Awareness - Decides what is the best way to get the ball to the target area. However the decision is limited to the amount of strength that QB has. So even though their decision might want to throw it a certain way, if they don't have the strength to pull it off, you will end up with one of those funky looking arcs on the ball that doesn't fit the situation.

3. Throw Power - Despite the name POWER in the words Throw Power, this rating doesn't control the power of the ball at all. What is really controls is the speed of the throw. In reality in this game, you can give a QB 40 throw power and they can still throw the ball 65 yards down the field. Only difference is the ball will take longer to get there.

4. Throw Accuracy - Does what it says to a degree. It gets the ball in the general area of your intended target. However, accuracy is heavily dependent on strength because strength determines the types of trajectories that can be thrown.

In a nutshell of how QB AI logic works on pass plays:

Awareness rating sees what is happening around the QB. Sees a WR open, uses awareness to determine what is the best way to get the ball to the WR. AI checks strength rating to see if they can pull off what they want to do. If not enough strength, they will choose the next best trajectory that they can actually pull off or they will choose a closer more wide open target that is safer to throw to.

What you will see happening more on a consistent basis are QBs hitting WRs in stride, more throws with just enough arc to go over a defender's head. Just way more variety in trajectories and more pass attempts in tighter areas and not just throws to a guy that is wide open.

So high how of a strength does a QB need ?

To unlock all the type of trajectories possibilities between up 60s to low 80s. KEYWORD being possibility. Because a QB would also need high awareness to even reach the decision to use it.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Love the data you provided there Skillz....

In regards to awareness for the QB's I refuse to rate any QB's below 60 for awareness because going all the way back to NCAA 07 i noticed the gameplay is just simply better overall when the QB's have enough decent awareness to operate.

I was not aware that strength ties into the velocity of the ball for QB's so I will have to start making sure that my created big strong pocket QB's like a Dan Marino or Troy Aikman are increased into the high 70's for strength rating.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Love the data you provided there Skillz....

In regards to awareness for the QB's I refuse to rate any QB's below 60 for awareness because going all the way back to NCAA 07 i noticed the gameplay is just simply better overall when the QB's have enough decent awareness to operate.

I was not aware that strength ties into the velocity of the ball for QB's so I will have to start making sure that my created big strong pocket QB's like a Dan Marino or Troy Aikman are increased into the high 70's for strength rating.
I think the strongest QB i ever had was Tebow. I think I gave him a 90 strength. He's the exception to the rule. With rare players like Tebow, I'll go above and beyond with the strength rating because it gives him an intangible compared to other QBs on the file. Plus he was very strong. What sucks with this game is the inability to change QBs throwing motion. Having QBs with varying throwing motions would take some of the staleness out of the game. I also wish they had tendencies like Madden has. The ones like confidence, clutch, makes big hits and so on.

I usually rate QB strength any where from 50-75. 67 would probably be the average.

Last edited by tommycoa; 07-30-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Interesting tommycoa on Tebow's strength rating...

I think he was in the 70's on my file. I will bump him to around 80 but if strength effects ball velocity i don't want Tebow turning into Marino or Elway in terms of being able to connect deep with accuracy LOL!

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Interesting tommycoa on Tebow's strength rating...

I think he was in the 70's on my file. I will bump him to around 80 but if strength effects ball velocity i don't want Tebow turning into Marino or Elway in terms of being able to connect deep with accuracy LOL!
He won't if his Throw accuracy is low. He will over throw them more often then not.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
He won't if his Throw accuracy is low. He will over throw them more often then not.
I think he had low 80s accuracy. Ill have to play a game with him and watch for his passing. I only noticed he was tough to bring down. Really glad you revealed this about the strength rating.

What other weird combos have you found?

When I read that an offensive lineman has a high motor, i jack up their hit power and trucking. Probably doesn't do anything, it's just hard to put those kinds of intangibles into the game. Like I said, I wish we had the detailed Tendency system Madden has to work with.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
MVP

brent3419's Arena

wow! i never knew strength will tie to passing trajectories, brilliant info, gonna look at my qbs when i get home

Sent from the landmass between new orleans and mobile on Tapatalk
MLB: Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves
MLS: Seattle Sounders
NCAAFB: Miami (FL), Mississippi State, Arkansas
International Soccer: AC Milan, PSG, US National Soccer, German National Soccer

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »