Home

Have you ever seen a BLOCKED FIELD GOAL in this game???

This is a discussion on Have you ever seen a BLOCKED FIELD GOAL in this game??? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #33
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Have you ever seen a BLOCKED FIELD GOAL in this game???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I'd bet dollars to donuts that you don't play on Heisman. The issue that you're replying to, which is a very well known issue, is a Heisman level issue.

On Heisman the CPU is infamous for attempting FGs that they have absolutely no business trying. It's so bad that they'll attempt some where the kick won't even cross the goal line in the air. Not the end line. The goal line.
The following video is from the 1st game that I've played since posting the above. I'm not sure if Art's reply was in response to the posts about Heisman kickers attempting FG they have no business trying, but this problem isn't something that sliders/player edits can fix. In this video FSU's K with only 84 KPW, 83 KAC attempted a 57yd FG while up 7-3 in the 1st. He has no business trying this because he only has 84 KPW. Sliders/player edits can't fix this. Even if you could adjust the sliders so that he could make it, you wouldn't want to because an 84 KPW kicker should not be making 57 yarders and you certainly don't want to edit all kickers so that they can boot 57 yarders.

You can also see my solution to this problem, which is to call FG return and just treat it like a punt. When I control the players I'd run the guy OOB to simulate a punt with a touchback. I play coach mode now so I can't make him run OOB but so far I haven't come close to getting the same free field position that I'd get if I just let him miss the FG.

College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 11-02-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 6

When Heisman Difficulty is set to Defense, the CPU will attempt unreasonably long FGs. My earlier post does not address this issue. So far as I know, there is no edit, slider, or other adjustment which will cause the CPU to avoid attempting these long FGs when in Defense Heisman mode.

My comments in the earlier post are related to my experiments with Kick Power and Kick Accuracy ratings and their impacts on kicker performance. I have not yet discovered any way to cause a blocked FG or PAT, or a blocked punt.

At some future point, I may reload the game and not apply the patch to see if the patch has any impact on blocked punts or kicks.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #35
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art01
When Heisman Difficulty is set to Defense, the CPU will attempt unreasonably long FGs. My earlier post does not address this issue. So far as I know, there is no edit, slider, or other adjustment which will cause the CPU to avoid attempting these long FGs when in Defense Heisman mode.

My comments in the earlier post are related to my experiments with Kick Power and Kick Accuracy ratings and their impacts on kicker performance. I have not yet discovered any way to cause a blocked FG or PAT, or a blocked punt.

At some future point, I may reload the game and not apply the patch to see if the patch has any impact on blocked punts or kicks.
I haven't tried the following, but I'd bet that it works.

As we've said, the stoopid FGAs are caused by Heisman difficulty. When you stop the CPU on 3rd down and they're in range where you know they'll attempt a dumb FG, you could pause the game and set the difficulty to All American. I've seen on AA that the CPU correctly knows the leg strength of their kicker, so with it on AA it should kick when they can make it and punt when they can't.

As long as you change it after you stop them (before the play calling screen comes up) then I'd bet it works.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #36
Rookie

PROTOHYPE's Arena

OVR: 0

A few times, but only against the CPU. Just gotta time it correctly and you can get away with a little bit of offsides and block it
Old 11-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #37
Rookie

Icon4 Re: Have you ever seen a BLOCKED FIELD GOAL in this game???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROTOHYPE
A few times, but only against the CPU. Just gotta time it correctly and you can get away with a little bit of offsides and block it
As the OP of this thread, I thought it'd only be right if I came back to give an update on how my field goal block attempts have been going ( especially since someone sarcastically said "let me know when you block one bro"). I've tried it many many times everyday and every fg attempt the cpu takes. I quoted the last poster because he said something on point. I haven't done it in an actual game with success but I have come VERY VERY close on a few occasions. And with this I've noticed a couple things: like Protohype said, with proper timing, the ref will let you get away with a tiny bit off offsides. The other thing I noticed is the closer I'm getting to blocking the fg, the closer my teammates are getting also! And I pointed out that I haven't done it in an "actual game" because I haven't but did a couple times in practice mode. I'm 99% sure I did it legit buuuuut the problem with that is there's not ref to call offsides in practice unfortunately so I can't say I'm 100% sure. What I do know is I'll keep trying and I will update you the very moment I make it happen...if ever.

P.S.
Be careful about trying this against online opponents. I was attempting to time it against a couple guys online only to be booted from the game by EA because of "excessive game delay". This happened because I was called offsides on 3 straight attempts even though they made their field goals and declined the penalty.

Last edited by Rob Bec; 11-05-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #38
Rookie

TNBassMan10's Arena

Quote:
I've blocked them before one of the patches but I'm 99% sure that it's physically impossible to block one after all of the patches.

This is really obvious on XPs as there's a glitch where the RG will frequently go flying backwards as if he were shot from a cannon and he and the defender will get in the way of the kick. Most of those should be blocked, but thankfully they aren't (because this probably happens roughly 25% of the time, if not more).

I'm almost positive that EA made it impossible to hit the holder (and probably kicker) to combat some online cheese. Prepatches, there was a cheesy online tactic where the cheeser (who was defending the FG/XP) would do this:
  • Walk a defender presnap into the backfield so that he's touching the holder
  • The other guy would snap the ball and kick the FG/XP
  • After the snap, the defender, who was walked into the holder presnap, would touch the holder. Because his knee is on the ground, he's marked as "tackled" even though there's no tackle animation.
  • Despite the penalty and the "tackle" the kick animation completes and the ball most likely goes through the uprights.
  • The offensive guy gets a pop-up window saying that the defense was offsides.
  • If the O guy doesn't bother to read carefully (and it's my understanding that most people didn't) then they'd assume that the choices were: 1) Accept and kick again. 2) Decline and accept the FG/XP (which they just saw fly through the uprights)
  • BUT, those weren't the choices because the holder was "tackled" so the real choices were 1) Accept penalty and rekick, 2)Decline, accept the TFL and give the other team the ball

To prevent cheesers from doing this, EA made it so that the holder can never be "tackled" even if he's touched and I'm 95% sure that a side effect of this is that FGs/XPs can no longer be physically blocked by hitting the holder/kicker. It's possible that the ball can still be blocked without touching the K/holder but I've never seen it post-patches.
Never knew you could do this but if that's the case, that's not the "cheesers" (defending teams fault) but the offense.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #39
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
To prevent cheesers from doing this, EA made it so that the holder can never be "tackled" even if he's touched and I'm 95% sure that a side effect of this is that FGs/XPs can no longer be physically blocked by hitting the holder/kicker.
Classic EA Band-Aid.

The only kicks I ever remember blocking were back on '07 on the original XBox. I believe blocked kicks were actually one of the advertised features that year.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:54 AM   #40
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

After hundreds of games in '14, I randomly blocked a kick, and it wasn't even really me that did it. Out of nowhere, there was a jailbreak just left of the snapper on an extra point, and a DT penetrated enough that the ball hit him in the head. I didn't control any of it, but MAYBE where I lined up my guy affected the blocking, idk.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »