Home

The CPU RB Pass Blocking is downright awful!

This is a discussion on The CPU RB Pass Blocking is downright awful! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The CPU RB Pass Blocking is downright awful!

Me and you PMed a few times about trying your sliders. I spent 4 seasons in my dynasty using the community sliders where playing the game reminded me of when I gave my copy of NCAA 02 to my brother and he would play on Freshman level with all human sliders maxed out and all CPU sliders at 0. The game was just to easy because the AI would never react with the community sliders. The issues you are having with a tailback just watching pass rushers run by is something I saw every game. The LT would also react the same way just dropping back like a edge rusher was coming allowing me to hard cut between the huge hole between the LT and LG resulting in a easy sack 90% of the time.

Since we swapped messages I started looking things closer. This is when I realized the sliders I was using was no different then my brother 12 years ago. I decided to go back to default Heisman and edit from there. What I found is the game plays much better on default. It's not perfect, I don't think anything can make it perfect, but I can deal with the issues to have a game that plays better.

In the 4 seasons I used the community sliders I went 56-0 with no game ever getting closer then 14 points. In the 4 BCS title games I out scored the 4 teams I was playing (Notre Dame twice, Miami, and Michigan & all were 99overall) 205-17. I averaged 8+ sacks a game over the course of the 4 seasons because of the lack of CPU pass protection, same issue you are seeing. I stayed with those sliders so long because so many people were loving what they were seeing and I was waiting to see if was just my team, but after 4 seasons I could not continue.

Since the switch to my default sliders I have played 4 games of that same dynasty and started a new one where I am in year 3 (all as an OC). I will only talk about the dynasty I used the community set. Since making the switch my sacks per game has dropped to 3. The issue I was having with the LT not reacting is no longer happening. The issue that you mention about the HB not reacting is something I am not seeing at all. I have had 2 classic games in the 4 I have played and lost my first game in 4 seasons. Before the switch I could run for 300+ yards every game. Since the switch I have only had one 300yd rushing game and my QB has 93spd. I will stand firm that messing around with sliders in any direction hurts the AI of the game. Yes you might get different animations but the gameplay suffers if you are playing the game and not in coaching mode.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
Me and you PMed a few times about trying your sliders. I spent 4 seasons in my dynasty using the community sliders where playing the game reminded me of when I gave my copy of NCAA 02 to my brother and he would play on Freshman level with all human sliders maxed out and all CPU sliders at 0. The game was just to easy because the AI would never react with the community sliders. The issues you are having with a tailback just watching pass rushers run by is something I saw every game. The LT would also react the same way just dropping back like a edge rusher was coming allowing me to hard cut between the huge hole between the LT and LG resulting in a easy sack 90% of the time.

Since we swapped messages I started looking things closer. This is when I realized the sliders I was using was no different then my brother 12 years ago. I decided to go back to default Heisman and edit from there. What I found is the game plays much better on default. It's not perfect, I don't think anything can make it perfect, but I can deal with the issues to have a game that plays better.

In the 4 seasons I used the community sliders I went 56-0 with no game ever getting closer then 14 points. In the 4 BCS title games I out scored the 4 teams I was playing (Notre Dame twice, Miami, and Michigan & all were 99overall) 205-17. I averaged 8+ sacks a game over the course of the 4 seasons because of the lack of CPU pass protection, same issue you are seeing. I stayed with those sliders so long because so many people were loving what they were seeing and I was waiting to see if was just my team, but after 4 seasons I could not continue.

Since the switch to my default sliders I have played 4 games of that same dynasty and started a new one where I am in year 3 (all as an OC). I will only talk about the dynasty I used the community set. Since making the switch my sacks per game has dropped to 3. The issue I was having with the LT not reacting is no longer happening. The issue that you mention about the HB not reacting is something I am not seeing at all. I have had 2 classic games in the 4 I have played and lost my first game in 4 seasons. Before the switch I could run for 300+ yards every game. Since the switch I have only had one 300yd rushing game and my QB has 93spd. I will stand firm that messing around with sliders in any direction hurts the AI of the game. Yes you might get different animations but the gameplay suffers if you are playing the game and not in coaching mode.
I know being the author of the community sliders, we have played A LOT with the different slider variations. I mean we went up to 12 for this 2014 year alone, last year there were a bit more when the game came out originally.

The newest sliders have addressed a lot of issues that we weren't satisfied with, and it's only been out for a week.

I would suggest giving them a shot. If they're too easy, one or two values to adjust (as I'm working on tonight to post) - but we've seen things from the CPU running alone that noone has seen. It's been a great ride.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I know being the author of the community sliders, we have played A LOT with the different slider variations. I mean we went up to 12 for this 2014 year alone, last year there were a bit more when the game came out originally.

The newest sliders have addressed a lot of issues that we weren't satisfied with, and it's only been out for a week.

I would suggest giving them a shot. If they're too easy, one or two values to adjust (as I'm working on tonight to post) - but we've seen things from the CPU running alone that noone has seen. It's been a great ride.
Matt, I was trying to bash the work you and Josh have put in those things. I supported your work and your sliders many times. I did try what you guys did about a week ago. I spent an hour watching you Twitch the night you played as Boise St vs Wash. In the 4 games I played with your last tweaks I didn't see much difference from the older set. My 4th game was the BCS title game against a even Notre Dame team as mine. In my mind it should have been a struggle or more so then the 3 games before where I continued to kill the CPU. What I got was much the same. I score my first 3 positions going up 21-0 forcing the CPU out of their game plan. The Notre Dame QB, who beat out my senior QB for the Heisman, continued to throw into my 3 deep zone resulting in 6 picks. I was able to run past a clueless LT, who was projected as a 1st round pick on the draft screen.

I will still tell anyone looking for sliders to check yours out first, but for me they just are not working. I don't claim to be a pro skill wise by any means. The thing about sliders are there is no one set for all. I am looking for variety in games just like you guys, but I am looking for it from how my team plays. In the 10 years I coached high school kids I can tell you the most flustering thing we faced was when we just cam out flat for no reason at all no matter how good your team is. I look for that in the game as well as the big plays that happen in the college game. In the 4 full seasons using your sliders my team was never flat. If I got a negative yardage play it was due to a sack or me just trying to run east/west with my back to bounce one. I never once saw the CPU try to take away my run game even though I lead the nation in rushing, even with the new set. I just wanted once to have my team not play perfect, to play uninspired football. I also wanted to see bigger plays, like that corner getting beat on a PA post but it seemed to me like your set made guys stick on their assigned coverage even on run plays.

I looked at every post in that thread since May and I saw guys having great games with great stats, but when I played it was so different. Like I said in my previous post, it felt tilted way in my direction. I still support what you and Josh are doing. You can look back a week or so I posted that I was trying your new set. I never posted my results due to fact I didn't want to make you second guess what you were doing. The variety I am looking for has been found with default with some personal tweaks and found gameplay to be not so bad. So please don't take anything I said as me bashing your work, I had fun using your sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
Matt, I was trying to bash the work you and Josh have put in those things. I supported your work and your sliders many times. I did try what you guys did about a week ago. I spent an hour watching you Twitch the night you played as Boise St vs Wash. In the 4 games I played with your last tweaks I didn't see much difference from the older set. My 4th game was the BCS title game against a even Notre Dame team as mine. In my mind it should have been a struggle or more so then the 3 games before where I continued to kill the CPU. What I got was much the same. I score my first 3 positions going up 21-0 forcing the CPU out of their game plan. The Notre Dame QB, who beat out my senior QB for the Heisman, continued to throw into my 3 deep zone resulting in 6 picks. I was able to run past a clueless LT, who was projected as a 1st round pick on the draft screen.

I will still tell anyone looking for sliders to check yours out first, but for me they just are not working. I don't claim to be a pro skill wise by any means. The thing about sliders are there is no one set for all. I am looking for variety in games just like you guys, but I am looking for it from how my team plays. In the 10 years I coached high school kids I can tell you the most flustering thing we faced was when we just cam out flat for no reason at all no matter how good your team is. I look for that in the game as well as the big plays that happen in the college game. In the 4 full seasons using your sliders my team was never flat. If I got a negative yardage play it was due to a sack or me just trying to run east/west with my back to bounce one. I never once saw the CPU try to take away my run game even though I lead the nation in rushing, even with the new set. I just wanted once to have my team not play perfect, to play uninspired football. I also wanted to see bigger plays, like that corner getting beat on a PA post but it seemed to me like your set made guys stick on their assigned coverage even on run plays.

I looked at every post in that thread since May and I saw guys having great games with great stats, but when I played it was so different. Like I said in my previous post, it felt tilted way in my direction. I still support what you and Josh are doing. You can look back a week or so I posted that I was trying your new set. I never posted my results due to fact I didn't want to make you second guess what you were doing. The variety I am looking for has been found with default with some personal tweaks and found gameplay to be not so bad. So please don't take anything I said as me bashing your work, I had fun using your sliders.
Oh wasn't taking it as a bashing at all, sorry I had little time to post a reply

Feedback is really important for us, if there is something off, and we haven't experience it yet, then that means it will rear its ugly head and we'll be blindsided. I am big on if I see the animation once, it needs to be fixed till I don't ever see it again (i.e. db glitch on ncaa 13, db drop back on ncaa 14).

I'm also starting to think that quite possibly the sliders may not work with the off/def aggression coaching sliders @ 50/50 anymore. I can't be sure though - but if that is something you did play with, maybe try it again with those default coaching sliders and see how it would play. I know players react completely different with those settings.

Thanks for trying them out - and I'll bow out of this thread so it doesn't become a slider fest...feast
Old 12-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Sorry Worestnightmare, not trying to take over your thread. I tried your sliders to see if I saw what you are seeing and it was there. I didn't do all the play book edits but your sliders, 50/50 coach aggression I saw a few times backs act clueless.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #14
Banned

YourWorstNightmar3's Arena

OVR: 0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Jmc6yzD0t0

THIS ^ can't be fixed with sliders. So I don't want people complaining about this thinking it's because of sliders. The development team for this game is the reason why the RB doesn't pick up his guy. Most of the times I blitz lots of guys, this occurs, hence why once in a while, I get crazy amounts of sacks.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
Banned

YourWorstNightmar3's Arena

OVR: 0

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=you...&v=fl0O9_HsxxU

Sliders have nothing to do with this poor play ^. Your sliders, my sliders, ANYBODYS sliders, this would happen to EVERYONE on this play because of the development of the game. It's just something that has to be dealt with and accepted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #16
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWorstNightmar3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Jmc6yzD0t0

THIS ^ can't be fixed with sliders. So I don't want people complaining about this thinking it's because of sliders. The development team for this game is the reason why the RB doesn't pick up his guy. Most of the times I blitz lots of guys, this occurs, hence why once in a while, I get crazy amounts of sacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWorstNightmar3
http://youtube.com/watch?feature=you...&v=fl0O9_HsxxU

Sliders have nothing to do with this poor play ^. Your sliders, my sliders, ANYBODYS sliders, this would happen to EVERYONE on this play because of the development of the game. It's just something that has to be dealt with and accepted.
If by "glitch" you mean the HB not blocking anyone and just back pedaling behind the QB then I disagree with you when you say "no sliders can fix this." I've played hundreds of games and don't see crap like that.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »