Home

Switching Quarterback by Play Question

This is a discussion on Switching Quarterback by Play Question within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Switching Quarterback by Play Question

So I'm running an Air Raid-style offense with a bit more run balance, but the balanced QB I recruited to succeed my previous four successful QBs isn't very good at anything other than passing. Now, I recently recruited a JuCo transfer ATH who is an amazing scrambler (rushed for 200 yards and 3 TDs in the first half during the season opener against a ranked Michigan) but when I tested out the actual throwing out-of-practice, he also managed to have a record-breaking 11 interceptions (horrible accuracy) in the second half.

Basically, I want to pull an Ohio State and play different quarterbacks based on different plays, but I was wondering if there was some way of doing it by play instead of formation substitution, primarily because I have a lot of scrambling plays out of the shotgun and basic read option plays. Or are formation subs the only option I have?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2016, 04:00 AM   #2
MVP

whughes's Arena

Re: Switching Quarterback by Play Question

Formation subs are going to be your best bet. Unless you want to pause the game, go into depth chart, and manually change quarterbacks every play

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 03-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by packawana
he also managed to have a record-breaking 11 interceptions (horrible accuracy) in the second half.
Holy crap, dude, that's insane!!! This tells me that you have your QB accuracy at 5, which is good, but there's a way to work around all the incompletions and, in your case, picks...

Your QB needs to warm up... now this sounds simple, but it really isn't. I've done this with the Air Raid, the Run & Shoot, my 5-Wide offense and Pro style and it works the same in any offense... you need to start the game throwing short, generally over the middle passes.

In the infamous way that EA calls plays, think Spacing. You know, where all your WR's/TE's run short little hitch routes. Does it suck to basically have to call so many of the same plays? Yes. But, with accuracy only available by 5's... 0 - 5 - 10, etc... this is what you must do.

I've had games where my QB was 22 of 26, late in the 2nd quarter, and still overthrew a pass... be it a Drag Route, or an Out Route... I think it is largely dependent on his accuracy... if it's 80 you're going to need almost 3 quarters to "warm" up. If it's 85, probably most of the first half, if it's 90, probably a quarter and a half.

One other thing... I've had times where my QB was 22 of 24 and then threw a pick. Suddenly, he's not "warm" anymore and it's basically like you have to start from scratch. So God only knows what throwing 11 picks in one half would do to the poor guy.

If I were you, I would use Formation Subs to get your running QB in and do all I can to get my passing QB warmed up... short, quick throws, mostly over the middle. Once he's warm... and you can tell because he'll be throwing tight spirals and not wobbly passes, then the entire playbook is open for you and you can wreak havoc on the defense.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
So I'm running an Air Raid-style offense with a bit more run balance, but the balanced QB I recruited to succeed my previous four successful QBs isn't very good at anything other than passing. Now, I recently recruited a JuCo transfer ATH who is an amazing scrambler (rushed for 200 yards and 3 TDs in the first half during the season opener against a ranked Michigan) but when I tested out the actual throwing out-of-practice, he also managed to have a record-breaking 11 interceptions (horrible accuracy) in the second half.

Basically, I want to pull an Ohio State and play different quarterbacks based on different plays, but I was wondering if there was some way of doing it by play instead of formation substitution, primarily because I have a lot of scrambling plays out of the shotgun and basic read option plays. Or are formation subs the only option I have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Formation subs are going to be your best bet. Unless you want to pause the game, go into depth chart, and manually change quarterbacks every play
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
If I were you, I would use Formation Subs to get your running QB in
Formation subs lock that QB in that formation for all plays. Since you want QB1 for the passing plays and QB2 for the running plays (in the same formation) this won't work.

The very easy fix is to simply use the package subs. You get this by pushing the RS left/right and it'll cycle through your package subs. For offense these include stuff like:
Backup QB
Sub HB
Sub TE
WR1 in slot
TE in slot
HB in slot
etc, etc

If QB1 if your passer and QB2 is your rusher, simply keep it normal if you want to pass. If you wanna rush, just flick the RS (Backup QB is usually within 1 or 2 settings from the default) until you get to "Backup QB" and QB2 will get subbed in (assuming that he's #2 on your depth chart).

When you wanna pass again, just set it back to normal.

EDIT:
Package subs are also a great way to get your #2 HB some carries. I use formation subs for my #3 and #4 HBs to get carries, but I always just use package subs to sub in my #2 HB.

Another offensive package sub I use a lot is "WR flip." I prefer to have my #1 WR on the right all the time (lined up against their best CB). In most of my formations that's how they line up, but in 5 of them they're flipped. So the 1st thing I do on offense every game, before I even call a play, is to go to those 5 formations and do the WR flip package sub.

Also in my PB, I have 3 12 personnel formations. In all 3 of them the TE#2 has the best routes (in some TE#1 doesn't even run routes) so I also hit all 3 of those formations with the TE flip package sub.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 03-16-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
he also managed to have a record-breaking 11 interceptions (horrible accuracy) in the second half.
After a couple of INTs, a QB will likely be cool (light blue). More and he'll be cold (dark blue). When they're cool or cold they're WAY more inaccurate, which leads to more INTs. This leads to a horrific snowball effect where the INTs really pile up.

After his 4th INT he should've been yanked and his backup should've come in.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2016, 03:51 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
After a couple of INTs, a QB will likely be cool (light blue). More and he'll be cold (dark blue). When they're cool or cold they're WAY more inaccurate, which leads to more INTs. This leads to a horrific snowball effect where the INTs really pile up.

After his 4th INT he should've been yanked and his backup should've come in.
I actually started to sim through the rest of the game to see what would happen as at the start of the third quarter the score was something like 50-14 in our favor. When I left him, he was at 4 INT, and then I subbed him out, but the backup managed 3 INTs too (guess he never could get warmed up). After simming through the third quarter and picking up again, the score was something 50-35. The final score ended being 50-45 in our favor primarily because Michigan's o-line gave up something like 10 sacks and the QB gave up 3 INTs too. (It was a thriller, I guess)

Last edited by packawana; 03-17-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
MVP

whughes's Arena

So you threw 11 interceptions, and still was up 50-14? Sounds like you have a slider problem.

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 03-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Even with a crap QB and crap accuracy I top out around 3 picks. Usually most are my fault for ill advised/forced passes. I agree there may be a slider issue. Other issues could be: poor reads, poor pass guidance (using the right stick), or poor timing.

Bottom line, unless this running QB has pass accuracy of 50, there's some user issues in the passing game.

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »