Home

When Will It Come Back

This is a discussion on When Will It Come Back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: When Will It Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
They basically did that. It didn't matter.

At the end of the day, I'd assume the game simply never sold all that well to continue to deal with headaches and lawsuits/NCAA hanging over your head at every turn, so numbers would say it was simply beneficial for them to just scrap it. Sucks, but this is likely the reasoning.
EA Sports was willing to pay the players for future games. The NCAA is the one who blocked that from happening. I don't think the NCAA renewed the license with EA after the lawsuits either so even a game with completely random players could not be made.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
They did not basically do that. The rosters EA created every year were clearly modeled after real players from their ratings to their physical traits to their hometowns and their numbers and apparel.

That is where EA screwed up. We all knew who QB2 was supposed to be on Team X. RB5 on USC back in the day was clearly Reggie Bush. It was no coincidence that the rosters were near copies outside of having the actual names in them.

If they had done completely randomly generated rosters the trouble may have been avoided. The way they did things, though, did them in with what the case was about.
I agree. Plus, I don't know of anything that stays on the market for roughly 20 years (counting Bill Walsh college football) if it isn't selling. There's most certainly a market. Those of us that you see regularly here on OS hang on to '14 because we are just the most dedicated college football freaks, which might lead one to believe that the overall numbers would be low. If they came out with a new game, of even decent quality, my mind would be blown if it didn't sell. Year 1 sales might not be where NCAA '14 left off, but once whoever the company would be got the ball rolling and their feet in under them, with today's graphics/technology, the 2nd and 3rd editions of the game could be incredible. If there's money to be made (and I believe there is), there's a suit somewhere who will find out a way to make it. Just give it time. As video game court cases go, or cases that involve video games, I have to imagine this is one of the biggest, if not the biggest/most involved case ever. Considering that, plus how so many other things tend to get tied up in our court system, 5-ish years really isn't all that long.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #11
Rookie

I think Gridiron Champions will be a big thing in 10 years from now if they can take off and avoid legal troubles.

Not many people really look into it all that much, they're actually pretty close in their fundraise goal to try and get it developed for 2019 and on the market in 2020.

For those not familiar, it is a college football game on the new gen consoles with former NCAA Football developers helping them make a new CFB video game. Their first game won't be collegiately licensed, but literally everything is customizable. Schools, Uni's, Rosters, Stadiums, Coaches, so the community can make it to NCAA standards.

I just hope the engine and gameplay on it are as smooth as NCAA 14 is just without the weird animation glitches that sometime occur. They also have all the same game modes plus the playoff included in the base game. EA won't be touching NCAA Football until NCAA itself allows players to be paid, which isn't happening soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2018, 11:20 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
I would be totally fine with completely random rosters, limit customization to an A-F grade system based on position. I just want it back.
I'd love that. Regarding a return of the NCAA game with licensing I think it will take congress to pass some sort of lawsuit reform. Until then nobody will want to risk the lawsuit.

It's unfortunate the judge in the O'Bannon case didn't do the responsible thing and determine what the gaming companies can do. If he had clarified the ruling I believe the companies would have found a way to keep the game on the market.

A generic game is probably the only option now.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #13
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWCoog24
EA Sports was willing to pay the players for future games. The NCAA is the one who blocked that from happening. I don't think the NCAA renewed the license with EA after the lawsuits either so even a game with completely random players could not be made.
They could have still made the game without NCAA, they actually planned to. It was just going to be "College Football 15" or something like that. They wouldn't be able to use "NCAA", it's logo, and I think (though not sure) the bowl game names. Everything else, however, was individually licensed. Conferences and schools controlled their own licensing, so all could still be in the game. It wasn't until those pulled out (SEC and some major programs like Ohio State if I recall) that the game was scrapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I'd love that. Regarding a return of the NCAA game with licensing I think it will take congress to pass some sort of lawsuit reform. Until then nobody will want to risk the lawsuit.

It's unfortunate the judge in the O'Bannon case didn't do the responsible thing and determine what the gaming companies can do. If he had clarified the ruling I believe the companies would have found a way to keep the game on the market.

A generic game is probably the only option now.
I agree with this somewhat. It's going to take another court ruling regarding profiting off of one's image. Once a court rules that players can profit off their image without the NCAA interfering, we can get the game with real guys again. The NCAA needs to get with the times, and allow these guys to get a check when they graduate at bare minimum.

As far as the judge doing the "responsible thing," you can't really pin it on him. All he did was rule they can't use the player's likeness. It really left every other option open. Basically just said don't use their exact image, everything else is fair game. At minimum it's altering a few things such as look, equipment, height/weight, hometown. At most, it's a fully generic roster.

Major Boise State fan
Old 10-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #14
Rookie

Looks like Draftkings and Fanduel won a case today being able to use players name, image and likeness. Why can’t they figure this out for a video game, link to article below.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn....platform%3Damp
Old 10-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingelsby
Looks like Draftkings and Fanduel won a case today being able to use players name, image and likeness. Why can’t they figure this out for a video game, link to article below.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn....platform%3Damp

It isn’t the same argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #16
Rookie

Just curious if they had each player sign a waiver stating they were using their likeness for the game but would not be getting paid. The players that do not sign the waiver would be replaced with generic players. I would imagine that they could make the game if the players signed something stating they could use their likeness for no compensation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »