Home

Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

This is a discussion on Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrmlb
All great points man.

2. Great point. Would you say ratings mattered more? Like you could feel Vince Young’s presence as opposed to say a random 76 scrambling QB? Also how’s dynasty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To give an honest answer as to whether they matter MORE, I feel like I should really play '09 and '11 a little deeper into a dynasty, which I haven't done since around the time they came out. Back then, I just played and didn't really "nerd out" like I do now lol. That said, within '06 itself, you can definitely feel the difference between a Vince and a random 76. I'd say AWR and what year the player is really shines in '06 as well.

Dynasty - I really love the dynasty. The recruiting is great; maybe the best in the series. No glitches. Players leave early, often, and a lot of the time, there's nothing you can do to stop them. One advantage that a newer edition has is customization. Unfortunately, no custom conferences in '06, but personally, I can live without it. I'd rather have on the field stuff be better than off the field stuff. You can definitely get fired. In my current dynasty, La Tech fired me after either Year 2 or 3, and I then took the job at a struggling North Carolina sitting in an absolutely stacked ACC. Going well there, but still haven't been able to get that natty, after 5 or 6 years. Been close a few times though.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa
To give an honest answer as to whether they matter MORE, I feel like I should really play '09 and '11 a little deeper into a dynasty, which I haven't done since around the time they came out. Back then, I just played and didn't really "nerd out" like I do now lol. That said, within '06 itself, you can definitely feel the difference between a Vince and a random 76. I'd say AWR and what year the player is really shines in '06 as well.

Dynasty - I really love the dynasty. The recruiting is great; maybe the best in the series. No glitches. Players leave early, often, and a lot of the time, there's nothing you can do to stop them. One advantage that a newer edition has is customization. Unfortunately, no custom conferences in '06, but personally, I can live without it. I'd rather have on the field stuff be better than off the field stuff. You can definitely get fired. In my current dynasty, La Tech fired me after either Year 2 or 3, and I then took the job at a struggling North Carolina sitting in an absolutely stacked ACC. Going well there, but still haven't been able to get that natty, after 5 or 6 years. Been close a few times though.

One thing I didn’t like about ncaa 14 is how offensive focused it is. I’m personally an air raid guy, but I don’t want shootouts every game. Iirc the game gives lots of variety and both sides are balanced.

I think I’ll give the dynasty another shot! I just bought it for $9 and was thinking of even doing a YouTube series!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #11
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I'm curious, I've only played 09 and 11, and the game looks similar on the outside. Is there that big of a difference? Can someone explain?
I've put more hours into NCAA Football 06 than any other game and I've played them all. I firmly believe 06 is the best of the bunch. I can come up with a laundry list of reasons why, but I will list a few here.

06 has the best combination of amazing gameplay with the least amount of flaws. I can list things I was 06 was better at but nothing compared to the list I can make about the newer games.

One can play 06 with default Heisman sliders and have an enjoyable experience. The other games require me to heavily alter sliders and difficulty.

The Jump the Snap feature. JTS in 07-11 plagues those games for me, you have to do a 180 on sliders to make them doable but it is such a distraction to the gameplay. What's worse is using JTS yourself is a real hit and miss.

Like Tuscaloosa mentioned earlier, the AI in 06 is realistic and challenging, even for a pro like me who plays on Heisman.

Some offensive concepts are way too easy to execute in 07-11. For example, the Curl-Flat combo is impossible to stop since the Curl is too easy to complete, especially against Man. In 06, the defender on the Curl can pick it off if you don't time the throw correctly. in 07-11, the defender stays several yards off the Curl, even if double-teamed, leaving the Curl wide open.

Now 07-11 added some features that are really neat regarding updated playbooks and offseason drills, but I believe gamers should focus on gameplay above all, what happens on the field instead of off of it.

One thing to remember is 06 was the last NCAA game EA Sports focuses on for the ps2 until they had to shift their focus on the new gen systems so it doesn't surprise me that 06 is more polished than 07-11

My YouTube channel and blog are basically love letters to NCAA Football 06 so hopefully my content can help anyone out.

I started with an 06-centric site but have since morphed it into my new site, Playbook Gamer, as I am a big playbook nut who wants to helps others with their football game of choice with useful info such as playbooks from other games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #12
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

It was deep for it's time with all of the D-1AA teams in addition to the regular teams. If I'm not mistaking, this was the first year you could do in-season recruiting as well.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 PM   #13
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
It was deep for it's time with all of the D-1AA teams in addition to the regular teams. If I'm not mistaking, this was the first year you could do in-season recruiting as well.
Yeah I love the FCS teams, it was a great addition. It also had their stadiums as well. It did have in-season recruiting as well.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #14
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
I've put more hours into NCAA Football 06 than any other game and I've played them all. I firmly believe 06 is the best of the bunch. I can come up with a laundry list of reasons why, but I will list a few here.

06 has the best combination of amazing gameplay with the least amount of flaws. I can list things I was 06 was better at but nothing compared to the list I can make about the newer games.

One can play 06 with default Heisman sliders and have an enjoyable experience. The other games require me to heavily alter sliders and difficulty.

The Jump the Snap feature. JTS in 07-11 plagues those games for me, you have to do a 180 on sliders to make them doable but it is such a distraction to the gameplay. What's worse is using JTS yourself is a real hit and miss.

Like Tuscaloosa mentioned earlier, the AI in 06 is realistic and challenging, even for a pro like me who plays on Heisman.

Some offensive concepts are way too easy to execute in 07-11. For example, the Curl-Flat combo is impossible to stop since the Curl is too easy to complete, especially against Man. In 06, the defender on the Curl can pick it off if you don't time the throw correctly. in 07-11, the defender stays several yards off the Curl, even if double-teamed, leaving the Curl wide open.

Now 07-11 added some features that are really neat regarding updated playbooks and offseason drills, but I believe gamers should focus on gameplay above all, what happens on the field instead of off of it.

One thing to remember is 06 was the last NCAA game EA Sports focuses on for the ps2 until they had to shift their focus on the new gen systems so it doesn't surprise me that 06 is more polished than 07-11

My YouTube channel and blog are basically love letters to NCAA Football 06 so hopefully my content can help anyone out.

I started with an 06-centric site but have since morphed it into my new site, Playbook Gamer, as I am a big playbook nut who wants to helps others with their football game of choice with useful info such as playbooks from other games.
Thanks for replying man. I visited your website and liked what I saw. I think I'll use the contact you part to ask you a few more questions.

The one thing that 09-11 gets right is their playbooks. Their extremely up-to-date and maybe even more so than NCAA 14. They even had the read option in there.

How does dynasty hold up for multiple seasons? Is the mode solid enough to play for like 8-10 seasons?

Also, would you say the gameplay is balanced in 06, with neither side gaining an advantage? I feel like recent (I guess the last few releases), favorited offense to such an extent.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #15
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Thanks for replying man. I visited your website and liked what I saw. I think I'll use the contact you part to ask you a few more questions.

The one thing that 09-11 gets right is their playbooks. Their extremely up-to-date and maybe even more so than NCAA 14. They even had the read option in there.

How does dynasty hold up for multiple seasons? Is the mode solid enough to play for like 8-10 seasons?

Also, would you say the gameplay is balanced in 06, with neither side gaining an advantage? I feel like recent (I guess the last few releases), favorited offense to such an extent.
Long term dynasties are just fine in 06, nothing really changes. Most games, even 06, may be slightly leaning towards offense but this is normal. I can still have top 10 defenses though so not every game is in the 50s. Both of your question rely on you though in how good you are and how you approach the game, but that's true for any gske you play.

I suggest you play 06 a ton as most of your questions will be answered if you just play it and take our word for it that 06 is really really good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

EA took a major departure with the marketing of NCAA 06

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »