Home

Tampa 2 defense playbook help

This is a discussion on Tampa 2 defense playbook help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Tampa 2 defense playbook help

Hello.

Are there any playbooks that resemble a tampa 2 defense playback or do i need to make a custom playbook? If so, what are the required plays/formations needed to make this playbook?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Re: Tampa 2 defense playbook help

The 4-3 Playbook should have everything you need to run the Tampa 2. But if you want to go extreme, customize the 4-3 playbook to include every four-down lineman set that has the Cover 2 Buc play (stack, over, under, Nickel, Nickel Strong, etc.) I don’t think you need to do that, though, because it can be run much simpler.

In my opinion, the best way to run a Tampa 2 scheme is to use your best defensive personnel as a base, whether it be 4-3, Nickel, whatever. From there, obviously, run the Cover 2 Buc. Once you get a feel for the offense you’re facing, make adjustments via defensive hot routes and blitzes to mix it up. If you’re getting gashed by the run, try some over and under fronts. Doing it this way instead of using a bunch of plays, you can pick 2 Buc every play and keep it simple while staying true to the traditional scheme.

The only caveat I have to this is that you may be getting abused and are unable to make adjustments to stop it. Your quick audibles to Cover 2 Man and Cover 3 are perfect for this. Also have a Cover 6 for an audible for unbalanced sets that you can’t stop. But again, use these sparingly so that they don’t get used to change ups.

Another word of advice. The Tampa 2 will not work in NCAA 14 unless you have screaming pressure from the defensive line. It was originally designed to shut down the West Coast Offense, so these spread offenses will shred it to pieces with any amount of time in the pocket. So, if you’re wanting to look like the 2000 Buccaneers out there, you need to have the dudes to make make it click.

Last edited by OBinKC; 01-27-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBinKC
The 4-3 Playbook should have everything you need to run the Tampa 2. But if you want to go extreme, customize the 4-3 playbook to include every four-down lineman set that has the Cover 2 Buc play (stack, over, under, Nickel, Nickel Strong, etc.) I don’t think you need to do that, though, because it can be run much simpler.

In my opinion, the best way to run a Tampa 2 scheme is to use your best defensive personnel as a base, whether it be 4-3, Nickel, whatever. From there, obviously, run the Cover 2 Buc. Once you get a feel for the offense you’re facing, make adjustments via defensive hot routes and blitzes to mix it up. If you’re getting gashed by the run, try some over and under fronts. Doing it this way instead of using a bunch of plays, you can pick 2 Buc every play and keep it simple while staying true to the traditional scheme.

The only caveat I have to this is that you may be getting abused and are unable to make adjustments to stop it. Your quick audibles to Cover 2 Man and Cover 3 are perfect for this. Also have a Cover 6 for an audible for unbalanced sets that you can’t stop. But again, use these sparingly so that they don’t get used to change ups.

Another word of advice. The Tampa 2 will not work in NCAA 14 unless you have screaming pressure from the defensive line. It was originally designed to shut down the West Coast Offense, so these spread offenses will shred it to pieces with any amount of time in the pocket. So, if you’re wanting to look like the 2000 Buccaneers out there, you need to have the dudes to make make it click.
Thanks.

Could you tell me what would be the recommended player archetypes to help maximize the Tampa 2 defense? I heard an athletic MLB might help and you might need great tacklers and hard cornerbacks, but is there anything else? Also, are hard cornerbacks similar to hard-hitters or is that something else?
Old 01-27-2021, 11:00 PM   #4
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakernk
Thanks.

Could you tell me what would be the recommended player archetypes to help maximize the Tampa 2 defense? I heard an athletic MLB might help and you might need great tacklers and hard cornerbacks, but is there anything else? Also, are hard cornerbacks similar to hard-hitters or is that something else?
So you might not have the ideal personnel yet, but you want to end up with a base 4-3 set.

Defensive Line - First DT needs to be the best run stopper you can get. Second DT needs to be balanced, good block shedding and power move ability. Both DEs need to be pass rushers.

Linebackers - MLB needs to be a good coverage guy. Almost like a hard hitting strong safety with the tackling power and size of a MLB, how Brian Urlacher was. I like Sam (strong side OLB) to be balanced; good zone coverage but still a good tackler. Will (the weak side OLB) should be a coverage guy first and foremost, because he will likely be covering a slot guy when the offense spreads it out. Overall, always look for speed with your linebackers.

Safeties - I would employ coverage FS types in both safety positions. Heck, even balanced cornerbacks if you can get them. They are mainly to take care of anything deep, and are the last line of defense, so speed and zone coverage are the most important traits they need.

Cornerbacks - Yes, hard hitting types. Tackle, hit power, and press are your main concerns as they won’t be asked to run alongside a speedy receiver going deep very much at all. They need to wreak havoc on short passes, toss plays, outside runs, and passes to the flats, and hopefully create turnovers from it.

Also consider awareness for all positions when you can’t decide between two prospective recruits. You always want them to be in the right place in the right times.

Last edited by OBinKC; 01-27-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
Rookie

Jeremy7679's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakernk
Hello.

Are there any playbooks that resemble a tampa 2 defense playback or do i need to make a custom playbook? If so, what are the required plays/formations needed to make this playbook?
How familiar are you with the basic scheme?
2013: Memphis (OC) 11-2, 7-1 AAC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7679
How familiar are you with the basic scheme?
Not a whole lot outside of some of the history and what players are required to run it. I know it has its roots in the 1970's pittsburgh steelers and was popularized by Tony Dungy in 1990s when he was the tampa bay buccanneers, hence the name.

As for the players, it requires a strong defensive line and possibly an athletic linebacker i.e. brian urlaccher/derrick brooks/jack lambert to be effective.

I think the scheme itself has a bend don't break philosphy where it allows lots of yardage, but can prevent touchdowns/big plays and create turnovers. I did start putting in formations where there are 4 down lineman. As for the plays im not sure. When i have time i will try to send photos if thats okay.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
Rookie

Jeremy7679's Arena

I've been a Bucs fan since the mid-80's and so I really got into learning about the Tampa 2. The foundational concept is that the safeties drop into cover two, but their deep zones are wider than a standard cover 2. The MLB then drops back in between, creating a pseudo-Cover 3. Like any other cover 2 the corners cover the flats, the OLB set up in hook zones, and the DL does their thing. Tampa Bay's front 7 is what made the system work. Obviously Ronde Barber was very good, but the other 3 DB's were good but not great. It was impossible to block both Warren Sapp and Darby/McFarland at once, and Simeon Rice off the edge gave them a dominant pass rush. Derrick Brooks was obviously a hall-of-fame linebacker, but Shelton Quarles and Dwight Smith were two athletic guys who could move well enough so Kiffin didn't have to bring a safety up to help stop the run.

So it was absolutely a bend but don't break scheme between the twenties. When the opponent got in the red zone, however, Kiffin would dial up all kinds of different zone blitzes that they never saw coming. The absolute best example I can remember was the 2003 NFC Championship Game where Barber was showing a blitz but at the snap dropped into coverage exactly where McNabb was going with the ball. Pick 6.

As far as NCAA 14, it doesn't translate well. I don't feel like the safeties get wide enough in pass coverage. I've gotten burned with 90+ OVR safeties on corner routes and fades much more often than I should have. Maybe it was just a bad experience and I bailed too quickly, but that was my take.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #8
Rookie

Jeremy7679's Arena

Sorry for another new post, but when you set up your playbook if you're trying to recreate the scheme I'd say focus on zone coverage plays. They occasionally would man up, but they were a zone-team for sure. I'd also tell you that they were more cover 3 than cover 2. Even the base Tampa 2 D was more of a cover 3 than a cover 2. Frankly, Jackson and Lynch weren't good enough play a lot of cover 2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »