Home

EA Sports College Football Legal FAQ: Answering Questions and Detailing the Timeline

This is a discussion on EA Sports College Football Legal FAQ: Answering Questions and Detailing the Timeline within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #9
Rookie

Cam Fan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports College Football Legal FAQ: Answering Questions and Detailing the Timel

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
"College recruiting is on the brink of chaos.

States are jockeying to “one-up” each other in adopting NIL laws. Soon, universities in a dozen states could be violating NCAA law by operating under state law.

“We're approaching the tipping point.”

https://t.co/tPXR1fJ63F https://t.co/74u6ad2nYx ...

Some state NIL bills (ie Alabama) feature a pay-for-play system, where Tide athletes could get $10K/yr from the school.

Meanwhile, in Ohio, home to Ohio St, no NIL bill exists.

And in New York, an NIL bill would take effect immediately.

“It’s a mess.”

https://t.co/tPXR1fJ63F "

I think a national NIL bill(that includes group licensing) would help resolve a lot of issues. There NEEDS to be a national NIL bill. You can't have a situation like above where you have states trying to one-up each other and having different NIL bills. That's a recipe for disaster. So, I imagine they'll try to pass a national bill within a couple months.
yes...and the NCAA has no one else to blame. They've had a decade long head start to address this... and purposely kicked the can down the road. Well, we all know CFB is all about finding recruiting advantages, and the Florida schools are in the driver seat.

"And what if a university in Florida were to follow the NCAA’s legislation instead of Florida’s own law? According to the legislation, that school would lose all financial support from the state."

"Berry’s concern lies with boosters. Many state NIL bills don’t bar them from involvement with NIL payments. Some of the bills don’t even address boosters at all. You can’t control the boosters,” Berry says. “When you give them openings, based on my experiences, they become uncontrollable.”

Also found another great article here.
Get your popcorn ready...this is going to be fun.

Last edited by Cam Fan; 03-04-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: EA Sports College Football Legal FAQ: Answering Questions and Detailing the Timel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
this is probably the best article ever written and posted on Operation Sports.

Great information. It would be great to have more in-depth articles like this for us older folks who grew up with OS.

With that said,

my take is that this is far from being resolved. Once these legalities are finalized, the next phase will be how to divvy the pot so to speak.

College sports is big business. Not even considering a potential union aspect, these schools will definitely want their fair value, and this will most definitely affect recruiting. Recruiting pitches will involve a monetary component for said player.

again this is far from being resolved.

The best we could hope for is a college game with real schools and no player likeliness. My take is that the player likeliness issue will never get resolved.
Thanks for the kind words, we really tried to take our time with both of these FAQs so they could act as hubs to check back on for now while we wait for actual concrete information at some point late this year/early next.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:35 PM   #11
Rookie

Cam Fan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Thanks for the kind words, we really tried to take our time with both of these FAQs so they could act as hubs to check back on for now while we wait for actual concrete information at some point late this year/early next.
Chase you're the best!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #12
Rookie

What a thought-out, articulate, informative article, Chase, this is awesome
Old 03-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #13
Banned

just let me know!
Old 03-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #14
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
I know it is not that simple, and I have seen it thrown around before, but I think once this NIL stuff gets passed, all you need to do is say "You'll get a copy of EA College Football for free." and it is game on.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra using Operation Sports mobile app
Maybe that might have been true 10 years ago, but IMO folks are going to want some cash in hand.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
College recruiting is on the brink of chaos...

States are jockeying to “one-up” each other in adopting NIL laws. Soon, universities in a dozen states could be violating NCAA law by operating under state law...

“It’s a mess.”...

There NEEDS to be a national NIL bill. You can't have a situation like above where you have states trying to one-up each other and having different NIL bills.
That's a recipe for disaster.
and so I'm under the opinion that's what we'll get.
the rich'll get richer and the Have-Nots will still not have.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Maybe that might have been true 10 years ago, but IMO folks are going to want some cash in hand.
99% of FBS players are worth nearly nothing. I think the very vast majority will gladly accept a free copy of the game and some merchandise or an equal value in cash. College football does not have the star power to where more than a handful of players could demand more.

Your top 5 to 10 prospects maybe could, but even a guy projected to be picked 25th in the draft won't have too much bargaining power. College football is not a star driven sport.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »