Home

Tips for a new player, this isn't the same old FIFA of yesteryear

This is a discussion on Tips for a new player, this isn't the same old FIFA of yesteryear within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

OVR: 14
Question Tips for a new player, this isn't the same old FIFA of yesteryear

After playing some games against my younger brother in law, I picked
up FIFA 2009 for the 360 yesterday so I could back into the soccer
gaming groove. My most recent FIFA purchase was World Cup 2006,
and before that was something 200X? probably for the PS2, I forget.

But this is not the same game. No longer can I rush end to end,
heck, I am having difficulty holding onto the ball, period. I
discovered online last night that rolling the ball to a nearby
defender is a no-no, especially with a Christiano Ronaldo
lurking nearby only to steal and fill the back of MY net.

Speaking of online, why I am always facing either Chelsea or Man U?
My humble Napoli feels much, much slower. Having said that, I want to
win with this team.

Any tips for a FIFA newcomer? This is clearly not the game I used to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Tips for a new player, this isn't the same old FIFA of yesteryear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORMULA316

Any tips for a FIFA newcomer? This is clearly not the game I used to play.

First off, you are correct in that you cannot play this game the way that you've played every other version and FIFA or any other football game for that matter.

The reason being is the Custom Tactics thread and the adaptive AI of the CPU.

There a few glitches in this game that are very annoying, but none of them are gamebreakers because they can be overcome but, I think that the biggest problem that most people have when playing the game is that they are not playing to the custom tactics settings for the team they are using.

Whether it's NBA2k , NCAA, Madden, etc. most of us are used to starting a game and playing with no pre game strategy and/or game plans. IMO this game requires that you do both. Look at your personnel and custom tactics settings prior to the game. Do you have the right players in the lineup according to the tactical settings?

Once you've analyzed the ratings of your players and tactics make sure your build up play and chance creation during the game matches up to the tactics. This is essential because your players are positioned on the pitch according the settings. If your settings are are for slow build up with short passes and you're trying to play long ball you WILL fail.

Also, the CPU DOES adjust tactics based on the game situation. You have to adjust too. Whether through tactical subs, formation edits, or tactics you need to be aware of what will work best in the current situation.

Also look at your defense tactics prior to the game. What is the width of your backline set at? Do they utilize the offside trap or cover? If your opponent likes to cross a lot and your backline is set to narrow you'll have a bit of a problem. Does the opponent have speedy wingers matched up against your slow FB? If so, you have another problem. I think you get the idea.

That should be a good start. There are many more tips. Just poke around the board a bit.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

I like to post after therizing and agree with him so that I sound FIFA-smart. Listen to what he says regarding tactics, he is a wise man. I myself need to learn how to play different styles, as I'm in the habit of playing like Arsenal (quick short passing, not a lot of crossing or shooting) and not many teams can pull it off. I need to learn how to play different styles...

Here are some gameplay things that might help someone who's new to the series:

1. Don't sprint with the ball unless you plan on going in a straight line. If you have a lot of space and are looking to get upfield, use the R-stick to knock the ball on, but watch for defenders in front of you playing the angle...

2. Try to avoid shooting when in a full sprint. Your accuracy will be much better if you are square to goal and under control. You can help this by holding L-trigger before/during your shot for pace control. It's also useful in tight spaces for making sharper turns...

3. Don't be afraid to clear the ball over the sideline (or even out for a corner) if your under pressure in your own end. This is especially important online against more aggressive players. I've noticed that since defenders typically have lower passing ratings, you can cause some serious problems for yourself by trying to get too cute in your own end of the pitch...

4. Some people are very good at pressuring the ball or constant double-teaming using the call second defender command. If you're not (I'm not), use your custom tactics to set up more of a passive defense (lower pressure, aggression) to keep your players behind the ball. Especially on the wings or just outside the box, get in the front of the man with the ball & hold L-trigger to jockey just before a cross or long shot. This greatly increases the chances of blocking it...

5. Don't be afraid to pass the ball sideways or even back in your opponent's end if you can't penetrate the defense. This can frustrate human opponents, leading them to chase, which may open up some holes in the defense. Again, this will work better with the appropriate tactics. Remember, they can't score if you have the ball...

6. Use the D-pad to change your quick attack/defense settings by pressing left or right. To the left is more defensive, to the right more offensive. If you're leading, you might want to move it to the left to keep AI players from pushing too far upfield. Conversely, if you need a goal, move it to the right. You can also make extra players come into the box for corners (even your goalie late in the game) by going all the way to right. Just watch out for the counter attack...

Oh and read the player's guides posted in this forum as they have a lot of good stuff in it and the tactics one explains some of the strategy involved for those not as familiar with it...

Last edited by Qb; 10-28-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

Icon14 Re: Tips for a new player, this isn't the same old FIFA of yesteryear

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to apply this against the brother-in-law this evening.
I think my immediate mistake was customizing an aggresive, high-risk strategy without
assessing my capabilities using Napoli. I already play with the mindset of ball control,
passing sideways or backwards into my own end to avoid turning the ball over.
What I found last night is that strikers were often blowing right by my midfield and defense
and just gobbled up too much ground far too quick for me to compensate. I had to take major
penalties to avoid a goal. I think I'll go back to the default strategy for Naples and build
from there. FORMULA316 is my gamertag, thanks for the tips gentlement.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

Sounds like the tactics didn't fit the squad. I think it's easier to play conservative D with an aggressive team than it is to do the opposite. I'd assume Napoli would play more of the Italian style of passive containing defense.

Also, be wary of having the offside trap tactic as opposed to cover. It seems to make the back line play awfully high. You can still tell them to trap by pushing up twice on the D-pad during play...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

Icon10 Re: Tips for a new player, this isn't the same old FIFA of yesteryear

Despite losing in penalty kicks (1-1 after regulation), it was a
complete 360 gaming experience. Playing against yet another
Chelsea fan, it took me a while to get the offence going, but
once it did, I had numerous chances throughout the match. I
dominated possession. I went back to the default Napoli set-up,
and that seemed to work best. In added time, I won a corner,
and with everybody in the box, I struck a header off the bar,
the second shot off a defender an followed that with another
header that went down and into the net. Game over, first win?
No. In the final minute, on the guys final possession, he drove
down field, with 2 defenders on him, his pass found an open
Ballack who struck for a goal. Whistle blows. Off to the first
of two extra periods. In these sessions I completely dominated.
I brought in substitues here and my teams was more fresh. I hit
a couple of posts and at one point, I was on a break but was
brought down just outside the box.

What a great, great game. I already enjoyed the game even
with lopsided losses. This game is really rewarding when you
play to the team's style. Still looking for victory #1
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

Glad to hear things have turned around for you...
Old 10-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

I'm pretty much new to FIFA as well, played some last year but not a ton and never really got the feel for it. This year though I am enjoying it much more and the custom tactics really makes a big difference on the pitch. Hit me up sometime online if you want your first victory (GT: x1BLUMPKIN1x).

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »