Home

Sliders for FIFA

This is a discussion on Sliders for FIFA within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Immense Dimension

electrickeeper's Arena

OVR: 12
Sliders for FIFA

Don't get your hopes up, they aren't in the game, and probably won't be for the foreseeable future. However, if the FIFA programmers were reading this, what would your slider list look like?

(I'll post mine in a bit, a little swamped with player databases)

- Playstation Football Association Career(online manager mode)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #2

Bruins's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Sliders for FIFA

None. What we have now is fine.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins
None. What we have now is fine.
Less options is never fine, and it's kind of crazy how all the other sports video games offer some sort of customization when it comes to gameplay. But FIFA just forces it's style of play on you and the game plays like a 90 minute long ESPN's TOP 10 Plays, and if you stray from that style of play to make the game more realistic...well then you have very little success in the game (against the CPU, two people can obviously choose to play realistically if they wanted to.)

What we have now is the exact opposite of fine.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #4

Bruins's Arena

OVR: 29

I don't want sliders, because then developers can get lazy and just think "this is close enough, anyone who cares will fix it themselves." I don't want to spend hours tweaking and tweaking.

I like the team-specific sliders we have now. Not every team plays exactly the same way, and with global sliders I'm afraid we would run into that issue, where teams did not feel "different," if you know what I mean.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 14

- CPU Jockeying-vs-Tackling Tendency...they still don't jockey much at all. The worst case again is when you pass the ball to your strikers feet, just as you receive the ball the defender marking them from behind comes rushing through barreling him over to take the ball w/o any problems, let alone a foul.

- CPU Header-Passing Accuracy...every CPU header goes straight to their teammate w/o fail! It doen't matter how much pressure the 'headerer' is under their headers are always downward to a teammate's chest or feet.

- CPU Clearance Accuracy...yet again, the vast majority of rushed clearances from CPU defenders go straight to their strikers. Very rarely do they kick it out of play, and even rarer does it land in open space.

- CPU Direct Free Kick Accuracy...the CPU are 5 from 5 in terms of hitting the target from a FK within 25 yards of goal, and 4 of those scored - there's no way a player with a FK rating of 28 should even be over the ball, let alone shooting it and scoring just like C Ronaldo! Anything beyond 30 yards, and they usually just short pass it to a close player (rather than shooting or lobbing into the box).

- Referee Strictness...almost all of my sliding tackle fouls result in yellow cards, no matter where on the pitch it occurs. I've seen the CPU get away w/o a card for sliding tackles quite a bit too, such as when they slide-foul me on a counterattack in their own half. Standing tackle fouls are fine - they happen quite a lot on both sides (not in goal areas fortunately) but they never result in yellow cards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Pro

Dylema's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta
- CPU Jockeying-vs-Tackling Tendency...they still don't jockey much at all. The worst case again is when you pass the ball to your strikers feet, just as you receive the ball the defender marking them from behind comes rushing through barreling him over to take the ball w/o any problems, let alone a foul.

- CPU Header-Passing Accuracy...every CPU header goes straight to their teammate w/o fail! It doen't matter how much pressure the 'headerer' is under their headers are always downward to a teammate's chest or feet.

- CPU Clearance Accuracy...yet again, the vast majority of rushed clearances from CPU defenders go straight to their strikers. Very rarely do they kick it out of play, and even rarer does it land in open space.

- CPU Direct Free Kick Accuracy...the CPU are 5 from 5 in terms of hitting the target from a FK within 25 yards of goal, and 4 of those scored - there's no way a player with a FK rating of 28 should even be over the ball, let alone shooting it and scoring just like C Ronaldo! Anything beyond 30 yards, and they usually just short pass it to a close player (rather than shooting or lobbing into the box).

- Referee Strictness...almost all of my sliding tackle fouls result in yellow cards, no matter where on the pitch it occurs. I've seen the CPU get away w/o a card for sliding tackles quite a bit too, such as when they slide-foul me on a counterattack in their own half. Standing tackle fouls are fine - they happen quite a lot on both sides (not in goal areas fortunately) but they never result in yellow cards.
I would agree with these without touching the game yet. CPU headers were generally right on the mark in the past few games and the same for clearances. I can't really comment on the oter having not played but The ref AI in the game usually seems a bit spotty at times so being able to tweak it would be nice.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins
I don't want sliders, because then developers can get lazy and just think "this is close enough, anyone who cares will fix it themselves." I don't want to spend hours tweaking and tweaking.

I like the team-specific sliders we have now. Not every team plays exactly the same way, and with global sliders I'm afraid we would run into that issue, where teams did not feel "different," if you know what I mean.
I can't say that I do know what you mean...you might feel that you're making a valid point, but it's really only a generalization. I think that developers take as much pride in their work as the next guy, and it just boils down to talent and direction when it comes to developing a game. People love to say that sliders make developers lazy and they just conveniently leave out the quality sports titles that do have sliders. Why didn't the developers for MLB: The Show and EA's NHL series get lazy? Their games have sliders. A lot of people still consider NFL 2K5 to be a stellar football game, guess what? Sliders.

Then on top of that, add in the fact that what's considered "sim" is starting to get subjective....I don't know how, because the word simulation has a widely recognized meaning...but then a fun, high flying game like FIFA 09 & 10 comes out and everyone is using the word sim...

And you're information as to how teams play in FIFA is a bit off, so far I haven't seen teams play to their real life strengths and weaknesses in FIFA. Arsenal doesn't pass around anymore than any other CPU controlled team (that may be a problem, no?) And you'll see teams in the Coca-Cola Championship League keeping as much possession as Barcelona...and against an EPL side no less (once again....problem?)

But everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You are apparently happy with the way the game plays right now, but there are those who aren't...and they can't do anything about it.

By the way...

It seems as if the FIFA team has already caught a bit of that laziness that you were talking about, even without adding sliders, with all of the complaints that I'm reading about on various different sites. Problems on and off the field.

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 10-09-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

Sliders are always a good thing, don't ever let anyone try and convince you otherwise!

Now, all I could add to Calcutta's list is a slider to control game momentum. Actually, if I had my druthers, it would be an off/on option, and I would leave it off. My decision to purchase another FIFA game is almost entirely dependent upon whether they finally removed (or gave us the option to shut off) the idiotic, ridiculous, stupid, moronic momentum system.

Here's how it works: CPU has "momentum" for the fist half, outshoots you 15-1 and builds up a 3-0 lead. The second half starts and now suddenly your team has the "momentum." You can have 3-4 of your players sent off on red cards (it's true, I've tested it), but you'll still dominate the CPU for the entire second half and score goals, even while playing with 7-8 players.

Did I mention how supremely dumb this momentum programming is?

Last edited by baa7; 10-09-2009 at 10:58 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »