Home

Trouble With Defending

This is a discussion on Trouble With Defending within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Pro

MillerTime89's Arena

OVR: 24
Trouble With Defending

Hey guys, FIFA is back and it is better than ever! I loved FIFA 09 and I do not mean to sound cocky, but i was pretty good too when it came to online play. However, this year I am noticing I am having a lot of trouble defending and winning 50/50 balls. Does anyone have any suggestions for these two issues?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Trouble With Defending

In general, I've been giving up more goals than I was in 09. I've noticed I have to sit back a little more when defender. In 09, you could go at a defender, and easily get the ball. This year, it pay to be more patient.

Also, something I started getting very good at last year was sometimes just letting someone put in a cross, and worry more about getting a defender ready to clear it out once it comes in. Which is more effective than trying to stop a cross from going in.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
MVP

LanteriX's Arena

OVR: 15

I'm getting absolutely destroyed online by non stop through balls.

I need help too.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyOrgan
In general, I've been giving up more goals than I was in 09.
I have one great defensive game and the next my back four are in shambles.

I just had a really enjoyable 0-0 draw as Sunderland versus Stoke City. The next game I was Everton and managed to overcome Wolves 6-5!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanteriX
I'm getting absolutely destroyed online by non stop through balls.

I need help too.
Bruins lit me up with a few last night. I think it's a few things:

1) If they're using manual -- which I think most don't -- we can actually place them where we want to, as opposed to the 8-direction system. I've had some nice manual ones at odd angles that I could've never done in 09 or before...

2) I think the 360 control & jostle/physical play refinements make it easier to run onto through passes and/or hold off the defence once the ball is received.

3) For me at least, I'm still adapting to the game. Not sure if custom tactics/formations used in 09 mesh well with the changes...

For example, offside trap wasn't too risky in 09 because attackers didn't bend their runs to stay onside. It was straight ahead all the time which made it a much safer strategy than it should be. I've already been made to look foolish more than once with my backline set to trap. Great improvement on the runs, now we need to adapt...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I think it just takes time to get adjusted to the new movement like Q said. (ugh, agreeing with a Gooner far to often these days). Positioning is much more important in this game.

Quote:
2) I think the 360 control & jostle/physical play refinements make it easier to run onto through passes and/or hold off the defence once the ball is received.
It is but sometimes you have to just get physical with the player running onto the ball. If you know you're at a speed advantage, cut the player off and give up the foul. They gave us a lot of new "physical interaction animations" this year, why not use them. Not only that but instead of trying to pass out of situations it's better to sometimes just clear the ball. This works well for when people attack with you with constant lobbed passes. The strafe button is also your friend.

No more friendly tips from me though. There are competitions going on.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Pro

MillerTime89's Arena

I ended up winning my first 2 games.. ever since i've lost 9 straight games. I keep giving up stupid goals.. My defense seems to always be out of position.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 0

My problem is scoring goals. I use the jockey and double team features on defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »