Home

Not enough time on the ball to do anything ...

This is a discussion on Not enough time on the ball to do anything ... within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Not enough time on the ball to do anything ...

This may be long (and detailed) – but please give it a read if you are interested in a thorough conversation about FIFA gameplay …

I play … All-Manual / 10min half / Professional / Slow / Tele / ManagerMode

My main concern for this post is [ NOT ENOUGH TIME WITH THE BALL ].

I have been trying to improve my game (better passing, a different variety of goals, use of through balls and crosses, incorporating skill moves, etc.). The CPU players seem to be always tackling my players … I feel like I never have enough time to do a skill move or power up a through ball (remember – I play on manual – it takes time to load the power meter).

I am able to string together eight or ten passes (so that is not my problem) – but it is when I attempt the “final” pass that I see some trouble. My pass accuracy seems to suffer when I am in the attacking third of the field (I have a conspiracy theory that EA did this on purpose to “help” the CPU defense). It is a bummer to see a slow build up die out due to an errant pass at the finish. I know that I should not be sprinting, that I should be in good balance, that I should be facing in the direction of my pass … I have all of that … I have been playing All-Manual since FIFA09.

(1) – My passing target does not run toward the ball. WHY?!?

(2) – My players get nicked (no foul called) all of the time when I get inside 20 yards or so.

(3) – I can never get enough space to settle my player before I attempt a long range shot.

I know that I should never use sprint(RT) when I am in a “high-traffic” area. But should I be jogging? Or using pace-control(LT)? Or no L-Stick at all (the player still moves a little bit – sort of like an inertia effect)? Or “pulse” the L-Stick? Should I be constantly changing direction? Lots of sprint-stop-sprint-stop-sprint? What about the knock-ons or the first-touch stuff?

I can *do* all of the skill moves (I know the combinations and can perform them in the arena / practice field) – but I am awful with the timing with respect to the CPU defenders. I do not know WHEN to do the skill move (to get the right effect). Should my player be stopped first – and then skill move from the stopped position?

I have seen a lot of cool things that other people can do with this game and, while I do not expect to be making YouTube videos in my future, I would like to try for some improvement in my game. Thanks for being part of this conversation – I would really appreciate any help/suggestions you might have.

SpH

Oh, and yes, I did do something with the custom team tactics to reduce the CPU default PRESSURE ratings ... I do not think that is the issue that is giving me trouble ... I am more interested in how I should be thinking about my gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Not enough time on the ball to do anything ...

Just read the first few lines but you can't really play with passing on manual as it just takes too long to play every pass. I play all manual except passing on semi. With through ball on manual I use that for precise passes when I have time. If you have both on manual then you have two buttons that do the exact same thing.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Two things that may help that I am now incorporating in to my game. First, remember a tap of the LB will make a player run in to space. Try it. That has helped me with more creative options.

Second, I don't use the cross anymore. I'll use LB+Y (lobbed through ball) if I want to go high and send a cross in to the box. I started doing this last night and I personally felt it to be more accurate than crosses. I have no clue where my crosses are going for some reason!

It took me a while to get better on Pro. The step-up from Semi to Pro was tough for me. Keep working at it. Your field vision will get better and that'll help.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Pro

I have had loads of trouble with the "player run into space" idea. How does the XBOX "know" which player to send on a run? The LB button is the "stop and face the goal" action - how does it also send a player on a run? Should I "lead" my running player with a through ball? How can I be sure that he will go to the ball?

I am pretty lousy right now at the lobbed through ball (LB+Y) ... again because LB already has another function. I have been using the traditional crosses (X) with varied success (not great). I know that I should not be sprinting - but should my player be facing the box or should he be facing the touch line (such that the cross will be a 90 degree angle)?

Yeah - does everyone agree that regular pass and through ball are the same thing if you are playing on All-Manual? Or does your passing target player react differently to the types of passes? Is this the key?

The "Go To The Ball!" issue is one the keeps frustrating me. Too often I see my player waiting for the ball to come to him while the CPU player steps in front and takes possession. Is there anything that I can do about this? Better weighted passes? That "first-touch" thing? Anything?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Pro

I have been experimenting with the skilled dribble - but I am not sure about how to pull it off.

I just hold LT+RT with the L-Stick to move about?

Does this help me avoid losing possession to tackles?

Can I "squirt through" a tight window and into empty space?

Should I get off the LT+RT when I am not interacting with a CPU defensive player(s)?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I have had loads of trouble with the "player run into space" idea. How does the XBOX "know" which player to send on a run? The LB button is the "stop and face the goal" action - how does it also send a player on a run? Should I "lead" my running player with a through ball? How can I be sure that he will go to the ball?
It knows who to send on the runs because if you are on the wings then any players running towards the box will rush forward and try to get into position for a header and if you are just dribbling in the center part of the field the closest player to you will break off straight to the goal for you to pass to them. This helps in defense when you are being hassled and want to pass forward and on offense when you want to pass to someone through the defensive back line.

Quote:
I am pretty lousy right now at the lobbed through ball (LB+Y) ... again because LB already has another function. I have been using the traditional crosses (X) with varied success (not great). I know that I should not be sprinting - but should my player be facing the box or should he be facing the touch line (such that the cross will be a 90 degree angle)?
Your honestly better off using regular crosses and low crosses (double tapping the cross button) because to me using the lobbed through balls only works when trying to hit it over everyone's head in midfield and having a forward try and outrun the defense. It doesn't really matter if you are running towards the box or touchline when hitting crosses, more that they have a good cross rating and are using their preferred foot to hit the ball (although heading rating and height of your target player will matter more in the long run).

Quote:
Yeah - does everyone agree that regular pass and through ball are the same thing if you are playing on All-Manual? Or does your passing target player react differently to the types of passes? Is this the key?
no because whichever button you press should determine how the target will react to the pass, regular pass will make them just try to stop it unless you push either analog stick to continue running or knock it on while through pass will have him run onto the ball and keeps him from stopping (which will happen briefly with regular pass).

Quote:
The "Go To The Ball!" issue is one the keeps frustrating me. Too often I see my player waiting for the ball to come to him while the CPU player steps in front and takes possession. Is there anything that I can do about this? Better weighted passes? That "first-touch" thing? Anything?
If you are ping pong passing or tapping the pass button the ball loses speed because players are just connecting with the ball instead of actually getting their leg into it. Either take control of your target or hold the button down longer. First-touch (if it is what I think you are referring to) is also called knock on which is when the player flicks the ball forward the second he gets the ball so that he can speed past a player, you knock on the ball the same way you kick it a little bit ahead of you while sprinting.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Pro

Do you "use" the L-Stick when the ball is moving from one player to another? What I mean is this ... PlayerA passes to PlayerB ... I use the L-Stick to aim the pass while PlayerA has the ball ... then the ball leaves PlayerA (hopefully moving toward PlayerB) ... do you wait until PlayerB is recieving the ball before you use the L-Stick for anything?

I sometimes (often) have my thumb working the L-Stick (force of habit) - sort of in the direction that I hope my player will move when he gets the ball ... but I am beginning to think that this compromises his ability to get a "safe" touch when the ball arrives.

This idea is the same as when there is a rebound or deflection in the air ... should I let my player get a touch (like a one-second "pause") before I begin to move him about or make a pass or cross or take a shot or do a skill move or whatever ...

I am so worried about the CPU defense quickly stealing the ball that I might be making it harder for my player to gather himself (and, thus, making it easier for the CPU defense to regain possession).

See what I am saying? Does anyone have a thought on this?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
Pro

Played some games tonight ... I got rocked by the CPU ... I really feel like I was getting fouled throughout the games (very few fouls were ever called) ... is there anything that I am doing that makes my players more likely to get "non-fouled"?

It is *really* frustrating ... no time with the ball ... constantly getting knocked over or bumped when I attempt to make a pass or getting crunched when I try to shoot.

Is the "manual makes you wait to fill up the power meter" really enough of a time delay to encourage all of these non-fouls ... or is it something else that I am doing or should be doing?

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »