Home

Talk me out of trading in FIFA 11...

This is a discussion on Talk me out of trading in FIFA 11... within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Talk me out of trading in FIFA 11...

Here's the situation...I played FIFA 10 into the ground and loved it. Loved it so much that I kept it rather than giving it back to GameStop for $3 or whatever they wanted when I picked up FIFA 11 on release day. I initially had high hopes for FIFA 11, but after owning it for a few weeks, I got really frustrated by the following:

- Super-aggressive tackling A.I. (both for my team and the CPU), that frustrates any effort to play a sim game
- No time to pull off skill moves or any 1-on-1 move other than just running around people
- Features stripped out of manager mode: most notably scouting young players and managing your staff

So, I bought PES 11 a few days ago. I cannot honestly say that it is a "better" game than FIFA 11, but it is a good game, and the pacing does allow for a more "sim"-like experience. But I really need to choose one of the two games because I don't have the time for both and would be better served financially getting early trade-in value for the other one.

Thinking about trading in FIFA 11, but I'm having doubts. Do people think that EA is likely to "fix" any of the gameplay issues, or is the game what it is? EA has mentioned several changes for their patch, but none of them address tackling or core gameplay issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Talk me out of trading in FIFA 11...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Here's the situation...I played FIFA 10 into the ground and loved it. Loved it so much that I kept it rather than giving it back to GameStop for $3 or whatever they wanted when I picked up FIFA 11 on release day. I initially had high hopes for FIFA 11, but after owning it for a few weeks, I got really frustrated by the following:

- Super-aggressive tackling A.I. (both for my team and the CPU), that frustrates any effort to play a sim game
- No time to pull off skill moves or any 1-on-1 move other than just running around people
- Features stripped out of manager mode: most notably scouting young players and managing your staff

So, I bought PES 11 a few days ago. I cannot honestly say that it is a "better" game than FIFA 11, but it is a good game, and the pacing does allow for a more "sim"-like experience. But I really need to choose one of the two games because I don't have the time for both and would be better served financially getting early trade-in value for the other one.

Thinking about trading in FIFA 11, but I'm having doubts. Do people think that EA is likely to "fix" any of the gameplay issues, or is the game what it is? EA has mentioned several changes for their patch, but none of them address tackling or core gameplay issues.
Keep it and wait for the patch. It is coming and holding on to your game for a little bit longer isn't going to change the trade value on it right now. I'm still switching between both games because there are things I love about both. I'm holding out hope that the patch improves things with FIFA 11, because there are a lot of things it does well.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows what to expect from the patch when it comes to gameplay changes. If those are the primary reasons you don't want to play the game, I suspect you will not be satisfied, even if you wait for the title update. I'm willing to bet the scouting/staff stuff will not changed until FIFA12 (probably in a different form than 10). It seems the career mode fixes will be focused on things like player growth or other apparent bugs (cup scheduling? ).

As far as CPU aggression & 1v1 play, while it's possible the FIFA team may tweak it to your liking with the patch, it's also quite possible you will continue to be dissatisfied. I haven't played much offline yet since I've been playing clubs, but I haven't seen anything in my time to make me think the CPU is any more aggressive in 11 than they were in 10. I know they seem to be harder to break down due to better positioning/marking -- could be part of the issue with 1v1? -- but I had to alter team tactics to enjoy playing the CPU in FIFA10 and thus far in 11, haven't felt the need to do so. Perhaps you should consider exploring this option if reduced defensive pressure would change your overall opinion of the gameplay.

Or just cut your losses and trade it in. You're not the first and won't be the last that buys the new iteration of game they enjoyed the year before and decides it's not for them.

Last edited by Qb; 10-22-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Aghh, as much as I could use the $35 - $45 in trade-in value for other games, etc., I just don't think I can do it. I NEVER buy two different titles from the same sport this close to release...not so much because of $ but because I only have so much time to focus on playing one or the other. But in this case, I think it's a good problem to have. It's also a product of the fact that the games feel so very different from each other.

I'm probably more in line with Qb's opinion on what the patch will or won't do than I am with instantpop's view...but I like the optimism! But with FIFA 11, there are so many bells and whistles (LOVE the new Creation Center and highlights automatically culled from games), that I can excuse some of the other flaws. Plus, I really like the physicality of the gameplay and the aerial game is much improved.

One thing I have not tried on FIFA (that I have done on PES) is to lower the speed a notch. It's not like regular speed is "too fast" for my reflexes or anything, but I know from Madden/NCAA that a slower speed can create more of a "sim" feel, even if the controls and gameplay are obviously the same.

Perhaps this is the year I just really get into soccer and alternate between two pretty good games all year. I just feel like the trade-in would be a waste that I would likely regret.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
One thing I have not tried on FIFA (that I have done on PES) is to lower the speed a notch. It's not like regular speed is "too fast" for my reflexes or anything, but I know from Madden/NCAA that a slower speed can create more of a "sim" feel, even if the controls and gameplay are obviously the same.
Oh snap... you should definitely try using slow gamespeed. It may not rectify all of your issues, but it does change player movement enough that it's worth a try.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Oh snap... you should definitely try using slow gamespeed. It may not rectify all of your issues, but it does change player movement enough that it's worth a try.
I agree with this totally. I just played my first game on slow game speed on WC and lost 3-1.

It was like a HUGE difference than playing on normal speed. It seemed like the CPU players wouldn't close players down as fast but that doesn't mean you could pull of 10 moves in a row and just dribble around all the CPU defenders that wasn't the case at all.

It also seemed like if you got burnt by the CPU it was much harder to catch back up and make a play on the ball which was good to see.

Perhaps it was just my perception but the game seemed to play much differently on slow than on normal. I highly suggest trying a few games on slow.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Rookie

striper_43's Arena

OVR: 2

Slow speed is the way to go with this game. It will give you more time on the ball and time to build your attack.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Definitely give Slow speed a try.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »