Home

Love the Title Hate all the Breakaway Open Goals!!!

This is a discussion on Love the Title Hate all the Breakaway Open Goals!!! within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 5
Love the Title Hate all the Breakaway Open Goals!!!

Man I love this game when I'm playing someone who plays a Sim style. I'm just so tired of trying to play straight up only to have a guy lob the ball over my defense a for offsides not to be called and watch a guy go one on one with my goalie all the time. I've have seen more breakaway goals than I really care to and they need to work on limiting this more than anything. I'm sorry I just dont see it in soccer matches period. Not all the time. I can understand once maybe twice a match but 5, 6, 7 times is terrible. If I'm doing something wrong I welcome the chance to better understand what I can do to prevent this. I'm just saying guys this is not fun seeing this happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Love the Title Hate all the Breakaway Open Goals!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomymac23
Man I love this game when I'm playing someone who plays a Sim style. I'm just so tired of trying to play straight up only to have a guy lob the ball over my defense a for offsides not to be called and watch a guy go one on one with my goalie all the time. I've have seen more breakaway goals than I really care to and they need to work on limiting this more than anything. I'm sorry I just dont see it in soccer matches period. Not all the time. I can understand once maybe twice a match but 5, 6, 7 times is terrible. If I'm doing something wrong I welcome the chance to better understand what I can do to prevent this. I'm just saying guys this is not fun seeing this happen.
that's a FIFA staple. The one on one goal, the long cross into the box header goal, and the corner kick goal. I wish there was more variety in the FIFA series.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Too old for manual FIFA

hedache's Arena

OVR: 4

You can limit that yourself with your style. Try working on your custom tactics and stuff. There are games I don't let my opponent even get into my box.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

i agree with the previous post, control the midfield, also the DB's are much more faster this year also. Theres very few inexcusable breakaway goals this year. FIFA 10 I would've sided with you.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Banned

Yeah I hear you it is about the midfield I'm just seeing guys jump over and around my defenders and lob the ball over my guys heads only to have them stop and the attacker to keep going and get a wide open shot at goal. Are there particular suggestions as to how to play the midfield, via formations etc... I would be greatly appreciative of that!

Thanks!

Thomas
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedache
You can limit that yourself with your style. Try working on your custom tactics and stuff. There are games I don't let my opponent even get into my box.
Please help with what you're doing. Can I use these custom sets online as well???

Thanks in advance.

Thomas
Old 12-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Pro

Dylema's Arena

OVR: 10

The best way to stop chipped through balls is to play off the ball and use the shot button for the CPU to auto challenge. This let's you read the runs of the opposing team and more then likely you'll be able to head the ball to safety or at least be with him if he does receive the ball.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
jb1
Rookie

OVR: 7

There is no doubt in my mind that it is just too easy to play a lob ball over the back line and have the chasing forward get onto the end of it. For one the defender will often stupidly hesitate to let the forward in and failing that the defender will have a bad touch or get out muscled way too easily.

To be fair I have no problem with people doing this as it is effective and ultimately online people will generally do what they think works best, my problem is with the game for making it way too easy to pull it off.

When you watch a real game you will rarely see a lob ball through the middle beat a central defender because of the angle the ball is played from, that is why most lob balls from a central position are played down the channels. It is an effective cross field pass to get in behind a full back as the angle is better plus full backs are generally shorter and less physical but not many central defenders would get caught like they do in FIFA.

The problem with the lob pass out wide from a central position is not so much the effectiveness of that move but that crossing is way too effective so once a winger gets into a good crossing position you are in real trouble.

As for stopping it, Dylema's advice is spot on. I now also use a no nonsense approach and will happily hack the ball to safety rather than try to either control the ball or head it back to the keeper.

As also pointed out in this thread scoring from corners is also way too easy, FIFA has come a long way in the last few years but these are issues that need fixing.

Last edited by jb1; 12-07-2010 at 06:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »