Home

CPU Shooting Strategy (Always in the Box)???

This is a discussion on CPU Shooting Strategy (Always in the Box)??? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: CPU Shooting Strategy (Always in the Box)???

I played Bayern Munich with their Chance Creation/Shooting set to 70 in a CTT. The result - 21 shot attempts, 9 on target using Legendary/ Slow/15' and custom sliders (run freq @ 40 or 45). A look at their shot chart showed a good number of shots outside the box (6-8?), mostly around the top of it.

In two other games yesterday on Legendary with the same settings against weaker teams with default CTTs (not sure of their shooting setting), I saw single digit shot attempts in both. Yes, they weren't nearly as dangerous with Robben & Ribery terrorizing my defense from the flanks and Muller looking to shoot when given any space, but they also passed up numerous opportunities to let it rip, usually in favor of dribbling or a short pass to get even closer to goal.

On a related note, I was reading a good article on Zonal Marking concerning ManU's high shots against this season. The stat that caught my eye was the ratio of shots inside/outside the box in the Premier League. I believe it was about 43% of shot attempts come from outside the area. Is anyone seeing anything close to that?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 1

So after reading Qb's last post, I edited Man U and raised all their players' Long Shot ratings to 99. Played a half on Legendary, and every single shot they took in the half was from well outside the penalty area, the majority of which came from several yards outside the box. Didn't touch their default tactics at all. So it appears to be purely a ratings concern.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
So after reading Qb's last post, I edited Man U and raised all their players' Long Shot ratings to 99. Played a half on Legendary, and every single shot they took in the half was from well outside the penalty area, the majority of which came from several yards outside the box. Didn't touch their default tactics at all. So it appears to be purely a ratings concern.
I had a feeling this was the case. Because CPU Gerrard can't stop shooting from outside the box on his default ratings. Great find though.

This could also help explain the lack of crossing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
So it appears to be purely a ratings concern.
Why is that? Your experiment shows that the long shots player rating affects shot frequency/selection for individuals. Perhaps it's not scaled properly and in general certain position groups (STs, AMFs, CMFs) should have a higher 'baseline' for the long shots rating, but I feel it's inaccurate to say only ratings are involved.

Chance Creation/Shooting in custom tactics affects overall shot frequency by the player in possession and how a team attempts to create shots. For example, CMs pushing up into space near top of box to look for a layoff pass is more common once into the "Lots" range (67-99). On lower settings, especially when set to the extreme end, players off the ball will look to make runs into space away from the ball, rather than looking to set up for a shot. To compound matters, the player in possession is also more likely to look to pass or dribble.

What I'm seeing, and I can only speak for myself obviously, is an overall lack of shooting aggression by the CPU when playing various kick-off matches against a variety of teams with their default CTTs. Since most teams are set with rather generic tactics with most values between 40-60, I am assuming an average Shot creation setting of around 50 does not give the average CPU team the proclivity to shoot an average amount (ie, maybe 70 or 75 is closer to a true 'average setting').
Old 10-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Rookie

EZ Esquire's Arena

OVR: 1

Just my 2 cents.

I find the more I contain and force them to remain outside the box the more they shoot from outside.

On World Class against several different teams, me being Roma, had about 5 shots against each game from outside the box. I also noticed a few times each shot from outside was from a player that had come open and uncovered.

I also found when I went into Ultra D they also shot more from outside.

Depends on how you play I guess.

I saw people saying they did not see a lot of crosses so I started letting players go down the wing to see what they would do and sure enough they would cross. When I covered them they would not cross.

If you cover a player and they beat you they will walk it in the box. It seems to me if they receive the ball and are open they will shoot from the outside.

Just my observations.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezio
Seriously? Why would that affect it? I actually have mine at 100 becaue I like the runs they make.
I've played over 35-40 games with it at 30 and I've seen the results I've wanted. To me it has an affect. Others have seen it as well.

EZ also brings up a great point. I've closed down Rooney throughout the 1st half to see him take 7 shots outside the box in the 2nd half.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
Banned

bzehrt24's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I played Bayern Munich with their Chance Creation/Shooting set to 70 in a CTT. The result - 21 shot attempts, 9 on target using Legendary/ Slow/15' and custom sliders (run freq @ 40 or 45). A look at their shot chart showed a good number of shots outside the box (6-8?), mostly around the top of it.

In two other games yesterday on Legendary with the same settings against weaker teams with default CTTs (not sure of their shooting setting), I saw single digit shot attempts in both. Yes, they weren't nearly as dangerous with Robben & Ribery terrorizing my defense from the flanks and Muller looking to shoot when given any space, but they also passed up numerous opportunities to let it rip, usually in favor of dribbling or a short pass to get even closer to goal.

On a related note, I was reading a good article on Zonal Marking concerning ManU's high shots against this season. The stat that caught my eye was the ratio of shots inside/outside the box in the Premier League. I believe it was about 43% of shot attempts come from outside the area. Is anyone seeing anything close to that?
This is what concerns me. I haven't bought the game yet just because of this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
I've played over 35-40 games with it at 30 and I've seen the results I've wanted. To me it has an affect. Others have seen it as well.

EZ also brings up a great point. I've closed down Rooney throughout the 1st half to see him take 7 shots outside the box in the 2nd half.
I lowered it to 30 and noticed a slight difference but not alot so it could be my defending

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »