Home

Has anybody gone back to the "legacy" style defending?

This is a discussion on Has anybody gone back to the "legacy" style defending? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Has anybody gone back to the "legacy" style defending?

I dislike the new "tactical" defending because there's nothing really tactical about it.

Here's how it generally goes:

- You jockey the ball carrier towards your teammate, who generally stands there and watches, even with the "teammate pressure" button held.

- The CPU ghosts pasts your jockeying guy, who chooses not to automatically tackle, despite the ball basically being under his foot, and also past the "teammate pressure" guy, who is looking into space. It's worth noting that that jockeying guy has automatically made a tackle every time to date, but chooses not to this time, because I guess he got tired of trying to win.

- You frantically switch to another defender and try to tackle using the tackle button, which either results in (this is my favourite part):

1. A foul. Usually a penalty
2. The CPU skipping past him as well, meaning it's now beaten 3 defenders and your backline is in shambles

Or my absolute favourite:

3. Successfully getting the ball and it spilling at the feet of one or more of your teammates, who are still looking into space.. and continue doing so while another CPU attacker scoops it up and continues on his path to goal.

That was therapeutic. Thanks for reading.

Onto the question:

Has anyone switched back to "legacy" defending? How are you finding it? Better, worse or the same?

Clearly, I am not enjoying "tactical defending" at all and I'm looking at options
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Has anybody gone back to the "legacy" style defending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32MJ32
I dislike the new "tactical" defending because there's nothing really tactical about it.

Here's how it generally goes:

- You jockey the ball carrier towards your teammate, who generally stands there and watches, even with the "teammate pressure" button held.

- The CPU ghosts pasts your jockeying guy, who chooses not to automatically tackle, despite the ball basically being under his foot, and also past the "teammate pressure" guy, who is looking into space. It's worth noting that that jockeying guy has automatically made a tackle every time to date, but chooses not to this time, because I guess he got tired of trying to win.

- You frantically switch to another defender and try to tackle using the tackle button, which either results in (this is my favourite part):

1. A foul. Usually a penalty
2. The CPU skipping past him as well, meaning it's now beaten 3 defenders and your backline is in shambles

Or my absolute favourite:

3. Successfully getting the ball and it spilling at the feet of one or more of your teammates, who are still looking into space.. and continue doing so while another CPU attacker scoops it up and continues on his path to goal.

That was therapeutic. Thanks for reading.

Onto the question:

Has anyone switched back to "legacy" defending? How are you finding it? Better, worse or the same?

Clearly, I am not enjoying "tactical defending" at all and I'm looking at options
Tactical defending is awesome what are you talking about? Maybe you are doing something wrong because it works for me. It makes the game more interesting for me. All the buttons work for me. I think you may be doing something wrong. You should probably switch your difficulty setting down until you get use to the new ways of defending. I would never switch back after using this new system.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I play on World Class. I win regularly, I just never, ever, ever keep a clean sheet. I'd be surprised if most people here haven't experienced the problems I have listed to some degree.

Anyway, my question is regarding legacy defending? Anyone got any feedback or do you suggest just bashing away at this new "tactical" stuff until it doesn't hurt anymore?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Rookie

Maccy46's Arena

OVR: 0

The idea of tactical defending is one of the best things about Fifa in years sadly i believe the execution of it is downright awful. Too many a times have timed a perfect tackle only for the player to keep the ball because my defenders feel the need to stand still once they have made a tackle thinking thats their job done for the day.

I have also found with tactical defending you are left vulnerable to any sort of through ball whether it be lofted or along the ground.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
I enjoy the new defending. Haven't really had any problems with it.

Do you really care where I sent this from?
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
MVP

rawdog805's Arena

OVR: 21
Definitely am a fan of the new defending. I can keep a clean sheet with it on world class, and also you have to use it when playing online ranked.

XBox One GT: rawdog805

Twitch: dufflebag_ran

Steam: rawdog805
Old 10-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I love it. But it takes some getting used to. I still go for the A button from time to time
Old 10-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
All Star

OVR: 21

There is nothing different about defending this year. EA just chose to put an emphasis on things that were already in the game. I was "tactical" defending in previous versions of FIFA by holding LT and then stepping in to make a tackle. Additionally, the only thing that differentiates tactical defending from legacy defending is holding RB to call a defender as opposed to holding B.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »