Home

Aaron McHardy Scripting Interview

This is a discussion on Aaron McHardy Scripting Interview within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Efficiency = Joy

NaturalSelected's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Aaron McHardy Scripting Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I'm not missing the point, and I agree with you: you're right on. There are "scripted momentum happenings" going on in the game every single match. My point is that some people claim you can't prevent the CPU from scoring when the scripting happens, and that CPU goals are predetermined or something. And that's incorrect.

Anyway, I stopped buying FIFA after 09 precisely because of this momentum scripting issue. I was playing the game on the console at the time and I vowed never to buy FIFA again until the devs removed the momentum scripting. But last year I bought a gaming PC, and picked up FIFA 12 knowing there was a good chance someone would create a gameplay mod ala the PES community. And that the scripting issue could be fixed that way. Sure enough that was the case.
It's interesting that this programming frustrates people so much. I actually enjoy it, no doubt I'm frustrated at losing at times, but I see it as just another challenge I have to overcome. Might be a minority opinion though.
Boston Celtics
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Rookie

Maxflier's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Scripting is different from momentum programming.
Whatever. I listened to the Q&A podcast on Fifa Soccer Blog and they vehemently denied having scripting OR momentum in the game.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSelected
It's interesting that this programming frustrates people so much. I actually enjoy it, no doubt I'm frustrated at losing at times, but I see it as just another challenge I have to overcome. Might be a minority opinion though.
I understand the point of it, I just don't like it. I also don't appreciate that these game devs add momentum and confidence programming without any way to shut it off. Most sports games have some kind of momentum or confidence boosts, and I've yet to see it ever done in a way that's realistic. It's always way over the top.

Also, in FIFA when the CPU goes into "reverse momentum" mode, they start passing the ball right to your players, and it becomes unbelievably easy to walk in on their D and fire shot after shot on goal. That's not only completely silly, it's awful game programming IMO.

Last edited by Yeats; 07-11-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Man, after listening to that damn podcast I don't even know if I can enjoy this game anymore.

I just played a game with Leeds, the opening game of the season in year 2 of a CM vs Liverpool, I was home. I went up 3-0 inside of 20 minutes, all from corners. Absolute gash marking on all 3, no one from Liverpool moved, Agger just watched Castaignos get free for two training ground headers and Snodgrass for another 1. I felt like I was playing well and earning my corners, but the goals seemed cheap.

After that the game changed. I earned multiple great looks from angles I routinely score from only to shoot 10 yards wide or straight at the keeper, I have a double with Castaignos and 1 with Snodgrass and they're both missing sitters, where's the momentum in that? I had one wide open header on goal after pulling the keeper out and lobbing it over his head back to Castaignos (who already scored 2 headers) only for him to contort his body into the only position that wouldn't make contact with the ball and watch the ball sail inches past his face to a defender to clear. I watched Liverpool gradually chip away at the lead, with Suarez making mazing runs off the ball and Carroll being an untacklable machine that dribbled like Aguero, my players just bounced off him. They scored once off a rebound that should've been cleared but my defender whiffed and twice on last ditch challenges I missed after my AI teammates stopped marking their men or moved away from them to give them space. After conceding the tying goal in the '82 minute I missed another sitter in the 85' before winning in the 90' by basically walking into the penalty area and firing a shot past Reina with my CDM. Not satisfying at all, felt cheated the whole game. At least Paul Pierce's NBA 2k12 roster is coming out soon, because I think i may be shelving FIFA until 13 after how hollow that game felt.

Last edited by DemiGodzillla; 07-12-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiGodzillla
I have a double with Castaignos and 1 with Snodgrass and they're both missing sitters, where's the momentum in that?
Momentum affects the CPU team's play. They can play above their ratings and perform like superstars -- Carroll dribbling like Aguero. Or they go into pylon mode and stand around while you take shot after shot on goal. They'll even kindly pass you the ball so as to let you shoot again.

EDIT: Just realized your "where's the momentum in that?" comment may have been sarcasm.

Last edited by Yeats; 07-12-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5

Very Interesting. So they need to look at the player stats then maybe poise, its the same in Nhl, last minute goals happen way too frequently that seems to be one problem.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #15
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

if you listen closely he doesnt really deny it either. i wont quote it exactly but he admits the conditions are there for momentum shift depending on how the player plays. i dont think he used the word momentum and im too lazy to re listen to it, but you can basically read between the lines. its kinda like legal mumbo jumbo where they deny something but simply based on a loose definition and not the actual context.

i do believe it is based on how you play, if anything the tighter your defense is the more into overdrive it goes. personally i think its for stats more then anything. to keep you from blowing things completely out of proportion. so what they do is set a status quo, if you are overachieving they have to bring you in line. if you are underachieving they have pump you up. sliders do change things drastically, but i think if you are playing fairly with your sliders, you will notice it quite a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
its kinda like legal mumbo jumbo where they deny something but simply based on a loose definition and not the actual context.
Comparible to the mumbo-jumbo EA spouted years ago about rebuilding the Madden engine for next-gen gaming. But what else are these people going to say? Their job is to sell game units, not get all heart-to-heart with consumers. The bottomline is this: Their offline priorities are becoming less and less of their focus with all their sports games. And if they've decided not to spend the time and resources on improving something in the game, they don't and won't talk about it. That's what PR people are paid to do.

Last edited by Yeats; 07-13-2012 at 09:59 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »