Home

FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

This is a discussion on FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #17
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LiverpoolRed~
I see the AI do this a lot and was wondering how to do it. A winger will get past me down the flank and then punt the ball up field 20-30 yards forward for him to chase. How do I do that on PS4? I assumed it would be a flick of the R3 button but it didn't really do anything. Anyone know?

When you say punt- do you mean through the air like a lofted through-ball or a knock on where the player touches the ball way out in front and runs to it so as to sprint more quickly and beat the defenders? If it's the second one, it is the right stick, and I do it a couple times to increase the effect (almost like a triple-tap in the direction I want to knock the ball on). It will never work as good for you as it does for the CPU, they can knock the ball on any distance they want and make it slow perfectly between them and the keeper so they are guaranteed first to it. Pure omnipotence.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #18
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontab
When you say punt- do you mean through the air like a lofted through-ball or a knock on where the player touches the ball way out in front and runs to it so as to sprint more quickly and beat the defenders? If it's the second one, it is the right stick, and I do it a couple times to increase the effect (almost like a triple-tap in the direction I want to knock the ball on). It will never work as good for you as it does for the CPU, they can knock the ball on any distance they want and make it slow perfectly between them and the keeper so they are guaranteed first to it. Pure omnipotence.
Knock on. That's the term I was looking for. I'll give that a try, thanks!
Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #19
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Any tips on defending aerial balls? Both on corners/crosses and in 50-50s from goal kicks. This has always been something I've struggled with on FIFA. Seems like I always get locked into either winning or losing the battle before it begins. I don't feel like I have any control over it.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #20
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Any tips on defending aerial balls? Both on corners/crosses and in 50-50s from goal kicks. This has always been something I've struggled with on FIFA. Seems like I always get locked into either winning or losing the battle before it begins. I don't feel like I have any control over it.

Unfortunately, you can't always have a chance at winning them (and sometimes you think you're at an advantage and somehow the dude still gets his head on a ball and sneaks one in, like a match I played last night). This year, on WC, I've noticed the CPU has a distinct physical advantage and even being present when you win one in the midfield will cause your pass to go wayward 9/10 times. Pro is much more even.

In either case, one thing that used to work REALLY well was using the lob button instead of ever using the normal pass button. For some reason, that always worked better, almost as if there was a hierarchy of commands that beat each other out, almost like "rock, paper, scissors". This year however, it's seemed pointless to me because ultimately, you're just going to be intercepted and lose possession anyways.

On World Class I lose 90% of those 50/50 headers in the midfield. On pro I'd guess it's about 50-50.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #21
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Yeah, I understand that there are times where my position/player matchup disadvantage should mean an automatic loss, but I would like a 50/50 to feel like one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuddyHobbs
I figured I would make a thread that doesn't cause too much clutter.

I'm a casual fan. Can someone give me a good strategy on playing better defense?

Also, it would be nice for anyone that has questions and people who can help!
I was struggling with defense too on FIFA 16. The simple answer is that what worked in FIFA 15 will not work here. If you sprint around and chase the ball, the cpu will simply pass around you, tire your players out and score on you, just like what would happen in real life. Instead, you need to take a more patient approach and trust your CPU team mates to play defense. Hold down the x button (I believe it's a for XBOX users) and your selected player will move to put pressure on the ball carrier. I also noticed that CPU team mates will cover spaces too and yes, the cpu will pass around, but with patience, the cpu will make a mistake and you will start seeing turnovers increase. I've tested this tactic in three separate career modes (Swansea, Chicago Fire and Portsmouth) and in all three of them, my teams are either at the top or near the top for fewest goals conceded. You will likely lose possession unless you are ball control themed when you have the ball, but you will make it harder for the cpu to score on you. I rarely use sprint on defense now. Just X and R1 to switch players when needed to be closer to the ball.

It has seemed to me so far that the best defense in this year's game is to use the improvements to help you. You still have to help this year, but you no longer need to babysit the entire team or worry about someone being out of position.

Another thing you can do is instructions. Set your instructions to all out attack, your team listens and moves on attack (and leaves itself open to counter attack) Order your CDM to aggressively intercept the ball? He will try to do so. So, don't be afraid to play with instructions and use some strategy.

Just some of the things I've noticed so far, I hope it helps out.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #23
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

One important defense tip I did not see in a quick thread scan is this...

Never be the back four unless you are all out chasing a wing attack with no other recourse.

99% of the time be a cm or cam and walk back/trot back with the flow while scanning the cpu's space and player options. Drift over and zone defend the most obvious area.

Remember, the cpu's favorite go to offensive tactic is to make you chase.

If you refuse to do that and then compress your D, which happens naturally this year, you will be able to 1. Nick the ball away when the cpu gets too close to you or 2. Preferably just wait them out for the inevitable bad pass.

One thing completely nerfed this year is the running jockey on defense. It's shocking what ea did to this. It was a tactic they were espousing 2 short years ago.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

OK, I stink at passing, especially when people pressure me. I thought driven passing would help but my teammates can't seem to control the passes well. I try passing to 1 teammate, but it passes to another, only to get intercepted. If I am playing an equally inept player the ball just ping pongs back and forth. Are their any tips on aiming on my passes? What would be good cameta settings for aiming passes? Thanks in advance! ☺

Last edited by dirtypeter; 10-04-2015 at 11:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »