Home

FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

This is a discussion on FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #25
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Any tips on defending aerial balls? Both on corners/crosses and in 50-50s from goal kicks. This has always been something I've struggled with on FIFA. Seems like I always get locked into either winning or losing the battle before it begins. I don't feel like I have any control over it.
Try using the LT/L2. I use that when I want to get physical to get position before the ball even gets there. You can either press it and get a physical battle animation or hold it and try to box the the other player out. Of course all depends on the physical traits and angles but try it out in the header drill.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #26
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypeter
OK, I stink at passing, especially when people pressure me. I thought driven passing would help but my teammates can't seem to control the passes well. I try passing to 1 teammate, but it passes to another, only to get intercepted. If I am playing an equally inept player the ball just ping pongs back and forth. Are their any tips on aiming on my passes? What would be good cameta settings for aiming passes? Thanks in advance! ☺
Click your right thumbstick down and use the trainer.

It's okay to pass backwards when you are pressured. Keep your eye open for the SAFEST pass not the FORWARD pass. I use to never, ever, go backwards in FIFA 15. I never felt like I needed to. Now if you only pass forward you will get the ball intercepted. The defenders are aware. I pass backwards and side to side and wait for the openings.

When aiming without the trainer I just take that extra second and dribble toward where I want to pass first, get my player positioned properly because there are definitely some "bad passes" animations that come from trying to pass in an awkward direction based on where your player is facing. They will obey your command but the result is usually intercepted.

Of course if they are pressuring you you dont have that extra second so work on your first touch. Using just the left stick have a direction in mind away from the defender as the ball is coming toward you and when your player receives the ball he will give just a slight move and I use that to get past aggressive tacklers. While using the protect the ball mechanic as well.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #27
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
One important defense tip I did not see in a quick thread scan is this...

Never be the back four unless you are all out chasing a wing attack with no other recourse.

99% of the time be a cm or cam and walk back/trot back with the flow while scanning the cpu's space and player options. Drift over and zone defend the most obvious area.

Remember, the cpu's favorite go to offensive tactic is to make you chase.

If you refuse to do that and then compress your D, which happens naturally this year, you will be able to 1. Nick the ball away when the cpu gets too close to you or 2. Preferably just wait them out for the inevitable bad pass.

One thing completely nerfed this year is the running jockey on defense. It's shocking what ea did to this. It was a tactic they were espousing 2 short years ago.
Awesome tip! I try to stress this to one of my friends so much who doesnt watch any soccer.

"STOP using the CB and running around, it's so easy to score on you once your screw up your back 4!"
"Whats a back four?"
"smh"

I make most of my tackles from behind because the back 4 is slowing them down. I give up most of my goals by trying to make an aggressive tackle with my back 4 and whiffing.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #28
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
Awesome tip! I try to stress this to one of my friends so much who doesnt watch any soccer.

"STOP using the CB and running around, it's so easy to score on you once your screw up your back 4!"
"Whats a back four?"
"smh"

I make most of my tackles from behind because the back 4 is slowing them down. I give up most of my goals by trying to make an aggressive tackle with my back 4 and whiffing.
Is there a tactic that I'm missing to make your CBs stay in the box? Mine want to play chase too much and get themselves in terrible spots.
#WeAreND
Old 10-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #29
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
Is there a tactic that I'm missing to make your CBs stay in the box? Mine want to play chase too much and get themselves in terrible spots.

There is nothing I've found. My CBs and Fullbacks switch for no reason. My defense twists a ton for zero reason. It's almost like it's doing it on purpose (because it is).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #30
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontab
There is nothing I've found. My CBs and Fullbacks switch for no reason. My defense twists a ton for zero reason. It's almost like it's doing it on purpose (because it is).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I don't know about switching for no reason. I see calculated decisions my my defenders but of course since there is not communication verbally like in real life it looks random as hell. Some of the contextual animations help, when someone points they are literally telling you that they expect someone else to guard that spot of the field. They are covering for each other. If theres a hole in the shape they are trying to fill it. This is based on the number of players between the ball and the goal I think. So I will chase back with a midfielder and fill the hole left by a CB or fullback. Or I can take the FB and user contain and let my midfield catch up/force the dribbler to pass. It's hard to explain without visuals. I'll see if I can record some clip examples when I'm playing this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
If there is no other choice for them to either leave the box or let the dribbler stand with an open shot outside of the box, they are always going to leave the box. The defenders man mark, so if the AI has decided they are the person who has to mark the dribbler that's what they will do.

You can play with the pressure settings to find your preferred spot on the pitch where they step up to defend. I use mine at 60s and make the other team work to even cross the half way line. So my CBs are usually outside of the box. You may be able to set the pressure lower and see how deep they will play. Something I've never tried though.

I do use defensive/ultra defensive when I want them to sit further back.

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 10-09-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #31
MVP

Joshua1207's Arena

OVR: 12

Can someone explain to me how whenever I play online the opponent's defenders always seem to be able to catch me as I am running down the sideline and just take the ball away from me yet when I try to do the same I am always outran? My players have high pace (90+) and this is happening at all stages throughout the game so I don't believe its a stamina issue either. Happens all the time and I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong on both sides of the ball or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 13

A couple questions I have:

-Can I send a player on a run? Sometimes I want my winger or LB/RB to go on a run to open space and they just stand there. I thought PES had a "make a run" button.

-Are there any settings/formations that would get my guys to make those runs?

-I've always been horrible at dribbling in FIFA. In fact, I think I'm pretty good for not really ever doing dribbling moves. Are there any basic ones that I should master that would help me create space or beat someone 1 on 1? My only move is to basically sprint alittle bit, hit L1 to stop, and cut in the opposite direction.
The New York Yankees
The Chicago Cubs
The Chicago Bulls
Machester United FC

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »