Home

Let's face it ...

This is a discussion on Let's face it ... within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Let's face it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I agree it was awesome that they came out and communicated with us about certain issues we had. I respect that a lot. For me it's just the same problems that continue to bother me. They no question did something great with the skating and they did improve the AI slightly. To me though the problem lies with things that seem could be addressed to suit all gameplay styles. The primary example I have is easy entry. This problem alone kills the game immediately for me because I'm not forced to set the puck up if I don't want to. It's been a problem since 07. I know Redshirt addressed this in a thread I created a little while back, but it sucks that they have the tools to make the change, but won't because it would piss off too many casuals. I just think that there has to be some slider or "Build Your AI" option that they can implement to fix this. Then people like me can make this change while others can leave it unchanged.

The other major area where this game is killed for me is that the CPU plays a style where I can pull off the same things time in and time out. For me that's not fun. There's just no switch up in gameplay throughout the course of a game. Sure there's times where the CPU will pressure more, but they don't play different defensively. This fits right in with the easy entry problem. I can still skate right into the zone and fire a shot from the slot each and every time. It's been in the game too long. I will say EA has done a much better job with the offensive variation. I remember a couple years ago I knew exactly what the CPU would do offensively every single time. So in that respect it's better, however defensively this game needs tuning.

Those are really the two issues hindering my fun with this game. If they could be addressed I'd be really happy, but they most likely won't because of who they market their product towards. Sadly this may be my last year purchasing this game if the changes I stated above don't get fixed. For me I can't continue playing this game when the same issues present themselves every year.
Beautifully said, Bwiggy.

If I try to add on to this...I'll only ruin it.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #18
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

(Preface: offline player)

This is the best hockey game I've ever played in my life.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

OVR: 16

The series certainly can improve but NHL 13 is a good hockey game. The new skating takes the game and the series to new heights. The EASHL continues to be great fun too.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

So you're a scrub if you are having fun and getting decently realistic games? Nope. I think it's more like you're a whiny 13 year old crybaby who can't dangle through the whole team and do a money one timer for a goal on every single play if you don't like the game!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
(Preface: offline player)

This is the best hockey game I've ever played in my life.
I'm offline only as well, and I've felt the same way. To each their own. One mans garbage is another's treasure. Frankly I'm done arguing about such things, because realistically I just don't really care what others think about something like this unless it starts to have an impact on my enjoyment of the game (which is why tuners being optional in the offline portion of the game are a good thing).

I don't have anywhere near the time that I used to even a couple years ago to spend with video games, so maybe that has helped shift my perspective as well, but I don't think I've been enjoying a game in this series as much even two months after release since maybe 09. Maybe.

Do I somehow expect something better next year? Absolutely, that's progress, but this year truly blew away all expectations I had for the game, and for the series as a whole.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

i stopped reading this thread after the first sentence. Stop bitching this is a great game!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #23
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Imo...tuners V1.04-1.06 really did a nice job of refining '13' into being the game I was pretty much hoping for.

Still wish entering the zones was more difficult than it turned out to be. But other than that...I'm pleased with how this years game eventually turned out. Thankfully we got the post release support we did this year.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
I beg to differ. There are sliders to counter what is percieved as AI Comeback Code. Try lowering the Cpu Strategy Adjustment, Cpu Difficulty, and or the AI Learning sliders. Also BS goals are a reality, so them being a major part of the video game is actually quite realistic.

Is NHL 13 what I've always dreamed of a hockey video game being? No, that doesn't make it a bad game. Yes, it has some glaring issues (Cpu team management and AI), but for what it is it's still the best hockey game I've ever seen. There's always room for improvement and if you look back even since 09, the game has improved a good deal. Not to mention, at least the developers support the game with patches and tuners year in and year out.

A thing that I learned playing this game is that you have to change your strategy on the fly. Yes there are absolutely moments that happen when I ask what was he thinking, but after playing more sound and watching how many itellegence errors actually happen in all sporting events, I really cant say that the game is doing it on purpose. Folks mess up assingments in real sports just like they do in video game sports.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »