Home

20 Minutes and alternative to what EA Dev , Worded differently.

This is a discussion on 20 Minutes and alternative to what EA Dev , Worded differently. within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

OVR: 0
20 Minutes and alternative to what EA Dev , Worded differently.

fanboy to EA Sports Forums

"Hey Guys

I love NHL 18, the graphics are amazing, the gameplay is phenomenal and it's the first hockey game I'm playing since NHL 2K6, the only concern I have is the high scoring in the games. I know there are many sliders to adjust the shooting, the goaltending, penalties, speed etc etc.

I want my scores in games to be 3-2, 4-0, 5-3, 2-0, but I always have scores like 8-5, 8-2, 9-5, 9-7 in games. I play 20 minute periods and I have set the setting to 0 for shooting, and 100 for all goaltending stats yet the goals still come fast and furious. I could never get a shutout in a game even though the shooters, all their sliders are at 0. Is there any other secret trick to a slider or setting that I could set so I don't have so many goals in the games. I would love to see some 1-0 games or maybe 3-0, or 3-2 game, I don't want every game to be a blow out. Or is the only solution to lower my periods from 20 minutes to 10? is there any other thing I could do to lower the scoring? I would love to see a shutout in one of my games."

EA Dev

"There is some good advice in this thread. Also, see what Game Style you start with before you start with the slider changes. If you move the game style up to Full Sim to start, it will give you the best base for your sliders (some of which you may not be changing yet) before you start to manipulate them further. At the base, they are decent for 8-10 minute periods, so you will have to adjust things like shot accuracy, fatigue, passing accuracy, etc. further to dial it in and many that have posted here and have posted on sites like Operations Sports have some good base ideas for sliders of different period lengths. You will see 'sim' players play on anything from 8-20 minute periods so make sure to check what they use before looking at their sliders.

Also look at the details in the different effects on things like puck control as well (which will impact clean receptions and how easy it is to keep the puck when deking, etc. You can even increase the impact that sudden changes in skating have on puck control. In a real world game, the puck is loose a lot which brings down chances and shot totals more than just wide shots or blocked shots so also make sure to play around with those settings as well.

Good luck dialing it in and let us know where you land in the end."

FanBoy Reply's

"Ok I finally got the realistic scores I wanted, it did take me about 3 hours of tinkering around with the sliders during a game but I think I finally got it. I kept the periods at 20 minutes, I increased the defensive poke check to 100%, I reduced the puck control and reception of passes to 40%, just like in the real NHL, not all passes are always accepted cleanly and also the players do lose control of the puck from time to time and also when being checked. I find now the games are more realistic as there are a lot of turnovers at center ice, in the offensive zones and the puck seems to bounce around more but it's more realistic, than having the player with the puck glued to his stick no matter what move he makes or when he is getting checked.

I would have to say that the slider for puck possession when deking has made a huge difference to my game scores. I find the games are now even more realistic as in real games, because pucks get turned over, players can't always receive every pass cleanly and it looks more like a real game instead of a game more similar to basketball where players would just skate one way shoot and then skate back the other way and shoot or pass and shoot, now I see plenty of turnovers at center, more back checking and poke checking from the defense and now it feels like a real NHL game.

I also changed the camera view to True Broadcast and it does make a difference and it feels like a game on TV instead of just skating up on the ice camera angle.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it really helped to manage the amount of goals sored for me and against me. Now my goalies can get a more realistic GAA instead of a GAA of 7.47!! "

Other Comments in the thread

GOW the Boss

"Crank up the goalies and crank down the shot accuracy. Make CPU accuracy lower than yours because they are always more accurate.

Real life game might have 30 shots but 70 shot attempts. EA is more like 30 shots, 35 shot attempts. Lower accuracy will fix that.
Better goalies will boost their save percentages to more realistic levels"

Teen Cam

"I also enjoy playing full 20 minute periods and have done so for well over 20 years. I've tinkered with sliders for years now trying to come up with a set that gives me a semi-realistic outcome as far as stats go. I've reached a point now where I have realistic scores for the most part, but of course there's always an outlier game here or there (just like in the real NHL) where I end up with a whacky score.

For me, the two biggest impacts on scoring are fatigue and, I know this might sound silly, camera angle. First, turn your fatigue level up and fatigue recovery down to a point that you can live with. If you max out the fatigue level and zero out recovery, your players will be dead tired after roughly five minutes of play. I don't care for that, I like getting around ten minutes of good play out of my four offensive lines and three defensive pairings. Usually at the ten minute mark my lines start dipping into the red. This really impacts your players' attributes. You'll start to see many more errant shots and off the mark passes, which in turn will lead to a more fundamentally sound hockey experience rather than an arcade-like experience.

Second, if you don't already, try playing on "True Broadcast." I started playing with this camera angle when it was first introduced and really fell in love with it. I find it much more difficult to pick corners, dance my way down the ice, deke out the opposition, etc... from this camera angle. I can still do all of those things, but I really have to pick my spots. They're much harder to accomplish going horizontally rather than always up. Also, when playing on "True Broadcast" you really get the feeling you're watching a hockey game. I love actually having the feeling that I'm shooting on different nets each period. It forces you to think about things like long-changes during the second period.

So, with all that being said, I still struggle with keeping one stat under control - shots on goal, for both myself and the cpu. I feel lucky if I can keep sog's under 50 for both teams. I've tried everything to lower sog's (upping goalie skills, lowering shot accuracy, etc...) and they've had no impact other than to the score itself.

Good luck! "

Untouch BF

"There is almost zero chance of making this game have low scores with 20 minute periods. CPU scores too many “random” goals, and there’s just too much pinball in this game that results in goals going through pads in order to keep the scores down.

I can post my 8-10 minute slider set if you’d like. Shots between 20-40 (I’ve had a lot of varied outcomes) and goals anywhere from 1-0 to the rare 5-4 shootouts. Game just isnt’ built to play 20 minute periods unfortuately. "

Dregzo84

"Join my youtube channel "hockey sim in Canada" i have slider sets for 20 min periods...infact all i play is 20 min periods....i have cpu vs cpu demonstrations too "

FanBoy

"That's what I thought too, can you send me your 8-10 minute sliders just so I can see if I can get my scores down "

I honestly dunno what I was looking at, but it seemed, so real and vague, it seems shot accuracy's and fatigue effect and very high goalies and impacts too me.

I find this fasnicating to see this explained in great depth.

and puck control

I wonder if this will work for NHL 20.

and along with all information I gathered from him from this year alone.

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 08-01-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »