Home

NHL 24 Hybrid and Updated Goalie Controls Available Today - Patch Notes

This is a discussion on NHL 24 Hybrid and Updated Goalie Controls Available Today - Patch Notes within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-25-2023, 05:16 PM   #9
Rookie

Ac3way's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 24 Hybrid and Updated Goalie Controls Available Today - Patch Notes

During on trial i got couple times that old dump (long and high). I tried testing it, but couldn't make it happen always. I guess the old dump is R1+R2+Right Stick or maybe just R2+Right Stick, not sure. Need to test it when i buy the game.

Also when i learned that new dump is good for clearing puck from glass, it sure had its use for some situations. Its nice addition to the game.

Hopefully November updates are good, because i am tired to play NHL 23.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:12 PM   #10
Pro

Re: NHL 24 Hybrid and Updated Goalie Controls Available Tomorrow - Patch Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooge 1010
is that on ps5. i tried that and i can’t get it to go very far.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
That’s Xbox. I think for PS5 it would be R2 + RS Up. Whatever the pass button is, just hold it and the flick up and it flips it out depending on how long you hold it for.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:13 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
From my time last night, it still seems pretty much broken as it's been this year. You have to charge the dump-in a fair bit in order to get some distance on it, which isn't realistic at all. It wouldn't be as bad if to mitigate the distance that function goes, they had made the puck lob higher (like in real NHL games).

Even charging the puck clearing attempt a full 2-3 seconds (which is absurd) barely lifts the puck over opposing team players. Never mind getting even near the red line. I guess they wanted a way to showcase their new "pressure" meter. What better way than to make it near impossible to relieve pressure in your zone and make it difficult to clear the puck...

Tried using on offense to try to dump-n-chase as well as on defense (especially during the PK). In both instances, dumpins failed to produce the desired effect. In fact, I'd say at this point it's more of a liability for your team than anything else.
Like I said, use RT/R2 instead of RB/R1. It plays very similar to the old dump feature and you can clear it a lot better the longer you hold it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2023, 12:34 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 2
NHL 24 Hybrid and Updated Goalie Controls Available Today - Patch Notes

i i don’t know what they did, but it doesn’t seem to be playing like it was before the patch. i’m playing on all star, default,speed 2 and it seems like there is pinball passing and the cpu goalies are super human. I was having good games before the patch. seems like my guys are skating in mud and cpu is flying.

Last edited by stooge 1010; 10-26-2023 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:08 PM   #13
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
Like I said, use RT/R2 instead of RB/R1. It plays very similar to the old dump feature and you can clear it a lot better the longer you hold it.
RT is pass on Skill Stick controls. I mean, yeah, you can use PASS or SHOOT to dump the puck. It just seems silly that a "dump" the puck function... doesn't.

In any case, the game's already deleted from my drive. I got to test it for a few hours and I got to see the "improvements", which is to say they brought back a lot of the stuff they took out. It feels better to be sure. But the game is still the same arcade-y, broken mess it's always been.

I was able to play a full period of Career mode as a human goalie. Glad the alternate controls were added back. In fact, seems the alternate goalie controls are the same as they were back in NHL 14, where the hug the post function was hold to activate instead of a toggle. Never understood that change in the past few years. Good on this dev team to finally recognize the 14 goalie controls were the way to go. And (of course) thank the lord you can turn off Tethering. Though I don't know what "Hybrid" tether does... seems to be the same as when it's fully on?

Tried to see how the human goalie fares now in EASHL game, but after about 20 minutes of trying to find a game (3s and 6s) without any success, I gave up. Even tried to find a game as a skater, to no avail.

Last I tried was Versus. It's ok I guess. Still the same terrible physics problems I remember. Still a poke/hit fest. In the last game, my opponent decided to go AFK (I guess he decided he was too good for me after going up 2-1?). Tried to take the puck away from his skater standing immobile in the face off circle. Stick to stick contact; I got a slashing penalty. Next face off, same deal. Tried to take the puck away with my player facing his. First attempt whiffed. 2nd attempt, puck went right back to his AFK player. 3rd time; slashing penalty.

LOL.

Game ended 2-1 for him. Then I uninstalled the game. I don't foresee re-installing it unless there's a major patch and multiple changes to the way the game plays are announced.

That being the case, I guess we'll have to see what next year brings.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:06 PM   #14
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

This is awesome news. Now I can finally purchase this game.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #15
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooge 1010
i i don’t know what they did, but it doesn’t seem to be playing like it was before the patch. i’m playing on all star, default,speed 2 and it seems like there is pinball passing and the cpu goalies are super human. I was having good games before the patch. seems like my guys are skating in mud and cpu is flying.

Hilarious how folks make this claim for every game after every patch. There is definitely a fear of this happening. It is true? unless of course you are saying the game plays like this no matter what teams you are using.

Last edited by Eddie1967; 10-26-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2023, 02:57 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Hilarious how folks make this claim for every game after every patch. I think its safe to say that its all in your head unless of course you are saying the game plays like this no matter what teams you are using.

i hope it’s in my head, i’m going to play again tonight and see.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »