Home

Anyone here play Online Verus? What system and what's your rank?

This is a discussion on Anyone here play Online Verus? What system and what's your rank? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
Pro

Arrowhead21's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Anyone here play Online Verus? What system and what's your rank?

I was playing online versus (ps4) for quite awhile but then stopped when I became addicted to HUT. I almost cracked the top 1,000 in less than 75 games before I stopped playing but by now I've probably slipped down closer to 2,000 due to inactivity.
NBA:Toronto Raptors
MLB:Toronto Blue Jays
NCAAF:Oregon Ducks
NCAAB:Kansas Jayhawks
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 AM   #10
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

It is quite frustrating as I am hovering around the same 25 places in rank. I win quite a few in a row and then have that one game where I dominate someone and it gives them all the bounces and silly advantages because they are much lower ranked and I lose one. Lose all of the spots I climbed up in the process.

Classic scenario that has been occurring online for years now. Time on attack is like 11mins to 3mins, in my favor. Shots are like 20-5. I lose 2-1 on a goal where the guy can barely gain the zone and just throws it on net and my goalie acts like he has never seen a puck before and it is on fire coming at him. Meanwhile I pepper their goalie and he is diving from post to post like Roberto Alomar in the hole at SS for the Blue Jays.

I get about as high as rank 50 then fall back down to around 75 with that one loss. I have beat at least 3 players in the top 5 this year, however. It is basically just defending all the money goals and deke spamming and then catching them off balance with a well-timed dump and chase so they can't poke check spam you to death.

The auto CPU checks are the worst. Defy all logic of momentum and force. Computer will just lay you out from an impossible angle with no speed. The best players have learned to take control of the strong side defender for a second and position them closer to the boards as the puck carrier comes over their blue line. After they switch off of them they go into kill mode and close the gap unnaturally fast and suck you into a hit animation. Fun times when the CPU does everything for you.

Pretty much only play online still, even with how bad it is. CPU is so awful to play and the GM mode is just boring and unrealistic as far as what happens with the CPU controlled teams. Not going to nearly approach the 1000 game mark this year, however. Just not enough depth in this game to keep me coming back to play, even with the real NHL crunch time approaching. I just hit 300 and there are some days where I think I would be fine if I never turned on NHL 15 again. Not like I can play online with my friends anyway.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #11
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I can only play online as well bigwill. Online is bad, but offline is just horiffic. It is so infuriating playing online though. The goals that go in are just ridiculous sometimes. I'm so sick of the short side bull crap that people do after you play perfect defense. It's basically the only way they can score and of course cheese. I once had a guy score 3 short side on me in about 10 minutes and I just lost it. The rest of the game I had to gap up even more and overcommit just so he'd stop doing it. It's pretty sad when you'd rather have a guy take a shot from the slot then from some crap angle along the boards. It just shows how horribly programmed the goalies are. There's just so many aggrevating areas of this game.

My playing style seems much different than yours though bigwill. Of course there are guys I completely dominate, but overall I'm all about defense. I invite pressure all day long if I'm playing someone who has a clue how to play the game. If I play somebody good I normally lose the shot batle 2:1 and have a couple less minutes of attack time. The thing is though, I don't score those cheap goals because I don't shoot often. The reason I get beat so much in shots is because I don't take shots from the outside. I'm more of a passing play guy and look for a good shot, which is stupid with how bad the goalies are sometimes. Most of the guys online will shoot from anywhere, especially if you play proper defense and frustrate the hell out of them. I also don't stick handle 100 mph back and forth to get some cheap *** shot off because the games collision detection doesn't work how it should. That's what most of those guys online tend to do.

What I find enjoyable about my style though is I will catch the other player on their mistakes. You just pickup their pattern and you can exploit it. There's been games were I'm losing the shot battle in the 2nd period 15:4 and I'll be up 3:0 because despite my lack of attack time I take advantage of the other players mistakes. Guys are just so predictable in the offensive zone. They do the same stuff over and over and what normally works for them doesn't against me. I'm not trying to sound cocky btw. It's not like I'm the best ever at this game but this is the one video game that I can say that I'm good at. I think a lot of it has to do with me understanding the sport of hockey though.

I don't know my exact record but I know I'm over .500 by about 20 games. What sucks though is half of those games I've lost there's no way I should have lost. It was just cheap crap that beat me, and the horribly programmed AI. I suppose when I allow crappy shots that will happen from time to time but there's only so much you can do. It's just so frustrating play near perfect defense and somehow the game faults you for it. The most common thing I am killed by is my AI dman in front of the net not even paying attention to the offensive player in the slot. Normally I switch to that guy just to prevent that from happening but then of course you can't play defense the way you want on the guy who has the puck. You just can't win sometimes.

I'll say this though, it's too bad other games aren't as smooth as NHL to play online. EA did this area well, but that's how they make all their money anyway so they better at least have that right.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 03-09-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #12
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

Well put, bwiggy. My 3 biggest gripes right now with the game play are hampering online so much for me and they are as follows:

1. No use of the boards: You simply can't bank pucks off of the boards like you would in real life. No chip plays to gain the zone. No bank passes to break out. No clears by angling a puck off the middle of the glass. Really just makes for a straight up and down game. Boring and predictable and nothing like real hockey!

2. Passing is bad: You can't make the simple passes that are easy in real life. The d to d for a breakout. That touch pass to an open space where you find the player streaking in with speed to gather the puck right on his tape! That is hockey! Not a give-and-go in sight in this game. And yet sometimes you don't even face the right way and the pass warps to your teammate's stick from an odd angle that defies speed, force, and logic.

3. Hitting: They've never gotten this correct. Everything is a hit that buries someone and way too many open ice hits! I need to be ridden off of the puck sometimes or guided into the boards without warping or suction. I need to tie sticks up and body up on a player in front and not have to poke check or hit to play defense.

Those 3 things alone make the game play just awful to me. Totally unrealistic and non rewarding of any hockey knowledge or style of play.

I also see the short side crap that you see, bwiggy. The last clip that I recorded was Detroit winning a neutral zone face-off against me while their d-man carries it over off of the win and just comes down and toss one short side from a bad angle without so much of a deke or threat of a pass. No NHL goalie is giving up that goal to the extent that it is seen in this game.

That and I lost my last game after having a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period because the game decided to let the other guy win. I lose a d-man to an injury that was just dumb, open ice hit behind the play that was just a collision and the guy grabbed his head as they said it was a knee injury. So the game put Malkin on D for some reason and removed him from centering the 2nd line. Then computer Letang decided to weakly board someone while killing a penalty that my cpu already took for me and he got tossed. How many times does the cpu need to take penalties for me, especially away from the play? I cannot tell you how many times I am carrying the puck and the whistle blows and I am like "For what?!" They show a replay and it is some dumb interference call that my cpu is taking 75 feet away from the puck, or boarding (so much boarding!).

Watch a game or play the sport for a week and you will just hate the way this game plays if you like realism at all.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm still playing this online quite a bit lately. Teammate AI sucks but at least playing against a human opponent is fun and aleviates some of that.

Sitting at 31-19-4 right now, I'd say I'm probably pretty average of a player.

If anybody feels like playing a ranked game against someone who plays semi-realistic (covers the puck when they should, doesnt run their goalie into you for a cheap penalty in a dump-in, etc), add me on ps4: southtitan.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

I gave up once MLB came out. I realized how much NHL made my blood pressure rise for the little reward it offered. Nothing changes with the game. It is the same unrealistic stuff each game. I dominate and watch the cpu goalie stand on his head against me. Had a game where I outshot my opponent 36-4 through two periods. He was barely even playing. I literally was cycling down low and walking around him all day for point-blank chances in front. The score was 1-1 through 2 periods. I scored 2 more goals, finally, in the 3rd period and he quits. Where is the fun in that? His goal was in transition as he crossed the blue line (with Seabrook) and threw something on net that beat Fleury short side. I had 2 defenders back and he was making a line change.

That was the final straw, really. I put it up on eBay this week and got $30 for it. It won't be missed. I retired in the top 100 online for xbox one for 2015. Not that it is anything to be proud about with this game.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 9

I started playing Vs after I won the Div1 title in HUT and got tired of the consistent lag I experienced in HUT. Matchmaking was just horrible, the game cared more about divisions than geographical location of players. I, as an EU player, frequently got matched against NA players. Not fun for anyone.

Vs games on the other hand, at least so far, seem to have either more players, or a looser match making algorithm. I've played about...40 games, with a record of 35-3-1, and I've played a laggy game only once or twice.

Most people I've played against only try to dangle or figure skate into the slot, and the rest skate around in the corners until a one timer opportunity opens up due to stupid AI not covering passing lanes. Maybe 10% of opponents play proper hockey like I do, cycling the puck and taking shots from the point. Whenever I come across a player who plays hockey instead of trying to cheese his way to a win, I always GG him/her, and thank them for a realistic game. Regardless of who wins the game.

Oh, and I play on X1, rank is probably around 40? Not that rank matters because the ranking system is just crap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 9

Still playing vs to my surprise. Since Destiny became stale, I guess vs and random Forza cruising are all there is atm. BF hardline got old pretty quickly.
52-7-1 record currently, rank 51 or 52. Got two straight losses from disconnects recently as my isp had a bad night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »