Home

Winning faceoffs in NHL 16 tips??

This is a discussion on Winning faceoffs in NHL 16 tips?? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Winning faceoffs in NHL 16 tips??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIP4LIFE
i'll try to expound further...

left stick = your body
right stick = your stick

1) if you flinch/jump (move left/right stick up or down before the ref drops the puck) you will be at a disadvantage -- especially if your opponent does not. so, this might seem obvious but don't "go" before the ref's hand moves.

2) if you want to win the draw with your stick, you don't want to move your body stick (LS) at all until after you try to draw. before the ref drops the puck, hold your right stick (RS) in the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position (for a right handed player, holding right or 3 o'clock = forehand draw and holding left or 9 o'clock = backhand draw). now -- timing is key -- as soon as the ref moves even a pixel to drop the puck you "go". as you're holding 3 or 9 o'clock position, sweep the RS up to 12 o'clock to attempt to lift your opponent's stick and win... OR sweep down to 6 o'clock to attempt to just sweep it away and win. when i say "sweep the RS", i mean a quarter-circle sweep not unlike what you would do in a fighting game. (as you're in motion to 12 or 6 o'clock, you can now use LS to aim the puck toward your teammates).

3) if you want to "tie" your opponent up, you need to get into their body with yours on the puck drop. same as before with timing, don't "go" until the ref's hand moves to drop the puck, but now use your LS and slam it straight up to 12 o'clock. unlike trying to win the face-off with your stick, you should not "pre-load" the LS to 3/9 o'clock prior to puck drop. leave the LS center and just slam it to 12 o'clock. *** you can still pre-load your RS to 3/9 o'clock if you like even if you intend to tie your opponent up with your body upon puck drop.

4) you can deke off of a face-off with LB (i'm using hybrid controls) and take the puck around your opponent. you can also hold RS center and slam it straight up to shoot directly off a face-off on puck drop. these are harder to do, and it seems to me, the window in which either of these will work is way smaller than winning to your teammates with RS or tying up with LS.

this last part is opinion, so take it with a grain of salt... i THINK there's a whole rock-paper-scissors system in place (in addition to your timing and your current player's attributes). so, especially against cpu opponents, don't try the same face-off win technique over and over. they will counter you. same goes for a savvy player online. mix up your forehand/backhand draws. throw in a lift-stick draw occasionally, and even a few body tie-ups. mix it up, don't be predictable, and you should def win more face-offs with more consistency.

hope this helps!! and i hope i wasn't too confusing. it really is easy to catch on to, once you get all the specifics down.
Just wanted to echo the thanks that has already been expressed for your detailed explanation. I had gotten fairly decent at just flicking down on the RS but was still losing quite a bit, especially later in the game when the AI learned what I was doing. Aside from winning even more faceoffs using your techniques, I felt much more in control of what was going on during that half-second of action. The next step is learning more about the pros/cons/when to use for each method. I'm sure that will come with experience. Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:48 AM   #18
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie488
i can't find anyone experiencing the same problem i am with the faceoffs. i play mostly be a pro mode, on all-star difficulty. i've followed all the videos and tutorials i can find, and no matter how i attempt to pre-load the right stick... 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock... 90% of the time my player just starts flailing his stick as if i'm constantly moving the right stick up. but, i don't move it at all. why does this happen? i've tried pre-loading before the ref skates to the ready position, after he does it, as soon as the cutscene ends, prior to the faceoff... everything, and nothing works. does this happen to ANYONE else? i'm about to give up on this game all because of this glitch that only seems to happen to me, in this game. every google search i've performed comes up empty. i registered here just to see if anyone could help me. thanks.
I had this happen to me before with one of my controllers that wasn't good.
It's when you don't move the stick in a perfect 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position.

So try and adjust your normal stick position and make sure that the right stick is in a perfect 3 o'clock position, move it a bit higher or lower than you usually do.

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex

Last edited by JezFranco; 01-22-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #19
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
I had this happen to me before with one of my controllers that wasn't good.
It's when you don't move the stick in a perfect 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position.

So try and adjust your normal stick position and make sure that the right stick is in a perfect 3 o'clock position, move it a bit higher or lower than you usually do.
Thank you for being so kind to respond. This actually helped me a great deal. I decided to use the PS4 browser as my guide to determine the reaction of my analog sticks, when being pushed to 3 or 9 o'clock... it's not that there is something wrong with my controllers... they all react the same, in game... but it's just... the movement for each is so very sensitive. I just have to push them pretty hard, each way, and hold steady. Ha. At almost 46 years of age, I guess my fingers just aren't as steady as they used to be. Thanks, again!
Old 01-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
Just started!

OVR: 0

The only tip is too know your strengths and weaknesses... Try doing tie up's as they work fairly well!
Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #21
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie488
Thank you for being so kind to respond. This actually helped me a great deal. I decided to use the PS4 browser as my guide to determine the reaction of my analog sticks, when being pushed to 3 or 9 o'clock... it's not that there is something wrong with my controllers... they all react the same, in game... but it's just... the movement for each is so very sensitive. I just have to push them pretty hard, each way, and hold steady. Ha. At almost 46 years of age, I guess my fingers just aren't as steady as they used to be. Thanks, again!
No worries buddy! Hope you're winning some face offs now!

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »