Home

Gamechanger Event #1 - Wishlists and Gameplay Feedback

This is a discussion on Gamechanger Event #1 - Wishlists and Gameplay Feedback within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: Gamechanger Event #1 - Wishlists and Gameplay Feedback

I've said for years this game is desperately missing a dedicated, general, "agitation" button. Either that, or they should just "agitate" automatically when close enough. Clutching and grabbing that isn't board-pinning, hooking and cross-checking that doesn't result in a penalty, slight bumps, rubs and elbows that aren't technically checks, and so on, are completely missing from defensive play.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Sorry to say this all irrelevant until they fix the broken engine. Start from there and work you way up. When completed, fire all the devs, they have manage to turn this franchise into a laughing stock. I'm not trolling just simply stating facts, if you don't believe me go on social media and see how EA NHL is being received from the fan base when they post something new.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I've said for years this game is desperately missing a dedicated, general, "agitation" button. Either that, or they should just "agitate" automatically when close enough. Clutching and grabbing that isn't board-pinning, hooking and cross-checking that doesn't result in a penalty, slight bumps, rubs and elbows that aren't technically checks, and so on, are completely missing from defensive play.
Excellent point, I have been screaming about this for years as well. This will do away with puck raggers and users who hold back on the stick.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #20
Rookie

miner7g's Arena

I'll just copy/paste this from betweenthepipes' goalie thread, figured it would be nice for it to get more eyes.

When I next get on the ice I might get some video to illustrate some of the points that I'm about to make. This is all on the top of my head and things that have been nagging me for awhile; I might miss some points but I'll make sure to edit them in when they come to me. Here goes:

First of all, I'm a huge equipment geek. This is the guy that goes on the goalie customizers on the major goalie sites and plays around with goalie customizers. Players got a lot of customization (some of it completely ticky-tack, but I digress) and I thought, why do the goalies have to have the same ol' '9 color zone or less' goalie pads? Nowadays goalies have tons of variation, and they're only getting more complicated. I'm not an animator/modeller/programmer so I have no perspective on how hard it would be to isolate color zones but there should be WAY more than 9.

I'll provide a picture.
Attachment 111910
I'll point out each part in numbers.
1.) That is one thing that Vaughn has implemented with the last few pads they've put in. Half the part on the outside can be one color, and the top a different color, currently impossible to put in. I can list off a number of goalies that have used this, yet it's still not replicable in the game.
2.) Might be hard to spot in this picture, but Miller has the blue part as so, and MOST times that would include the entire bottom of the pad. Not so with him. You can't do that in the EA NHL games. That side is blue, but if you see him standing up...
Attachment 111911
Voila!
3.) The CCM blocker has been in for what... Three years? And this has been an extremely popular part, making the very leftmost zone colored. This isn't an option, and beauties like these:
Attachment 111917
Those, majestic pads, cannot be replicated in the game. Why deprive the EASHL of such majesty? I could point to any number of different pads that sadly can't be made. Oh, before I forget, my FAVOURITE VARIATION of the Subzero II Brian's set isn't able to be made. My heart breaks ---
Attachment 111922
--- when I cannot use these. (The green areas are those that currently can't be edited in that way.)
Honestly, if they implemented these things I'd buy a PS4 tommorow. I'm a nut that way, and there are others that would agree.

Now to the gameplay aspect, as I said, I don't have a PS4 myself, however I have played at my friends' places quite a bit and a few things stick out to me.

The Shuffle
It feels clunky and sloppy. Once you move, you're locked in for a half a second before you can do anything else, which isn't how it goes in real life. Your goalie basically spends a clumsy amount of time when in precision movement to move a very small amount, when simply in real life if you wanted to quickly move all you'd need to do is twist your foot and progress into a T-push seamlessly, or if you wanted to change facing all you would do is twist and step. Again, clunky.

The Backwards T-Push
I love Eddie Lack, I do. But c'mon. Twisting around for a full back-push? REALLY? C'mon! The first time I did that I almost threw the controller (I would've had it not been my friends), The only reason you would do that is on a dump-in/a deep pass when you're out aggressive, which is very ineffective because of the input delay (as you've mentioned earlier, thanks man.) A much more effective backward movement would be a combination of long and short C-cuts, keeping you square to the shooter. This is more widely used for that reason than the backwards t-push.

The Butterfly Push
As in, the one that kind of sucks. Speaking of cross-creasers, this is the most common answer TO them. This is another thing I get is hard to implement in-game because when you hit the butterfly button it doesn't assume you might want to immediately push sideways into butterfly, but this is the move I do every game to counter those cross-crease passes. Like I said, I'll get some video later but I'll try to summarize it as best I can. When you are standing up, square to the shooter, and someone passes it, I immediately swing the back-leg back and slant it towards the ice, and use the leg that is still forward to PUSH back to the opposite post where the shooter is. Thus by the time I arrive there, the shot is presumably already coming and your pad is already down. The problem is right now, it seems like it takes forever to start. It may be the input delay, but it seems to me like when you're standing up it likes to go down into butterfly first, THEN push. Which is the opposite of what you want. You want to use the momentum of going down to carry your slide faster.

Coming Off The Post
Pretty frustrating. When I was playing it seemed like it made you go to the other post, and/or make you come out of the crease at the most awkward angle possible, and this is probably in part because of the invisible barrier that has plagued goalies for the last, what... 5-7 years? At least? Anyway, the biggest part of goalies today has been staying square, getting your chest in front of the puck, and it seems like we're put at a disadvantage in that regard. One thing I will add is a tidbit from what I've done in real life, which is having one skate almost directly on the post and the other facing towards the faceoff dot when someone's above the line. The problem right now is with the invisible barrier around the posts it makes it impossible to square up properly to a shot that comes from just above the goal line, often causing goals that you would rarely see in hockey games past beer league. I know betweenthepipes will champion for the goalie union but I think it's important to keep noting.

Rebound Control
To this point, I think it's because of the lack of new animations being layered on to goalies. Angling the blocker to put the puck in the corner, directing the puck over the glass for a whistle/directing it to the corner where it's relatively harmless, putting the stick along the ice to basically kill the rebound and easily cover it, angling the pad as the shot comes off it to put the puck to the corner, all of this isn't in the game, or implemented badly. Heck, I live in Burnaby, I'd volunteer to model it myself.

The Reverse VH
I hope they'll implement this. One huge thing about the Reverse VH is how great it is for scrambling when the puck is close to the net, and for covering passes across. When I went to a goalie school, my instructor told me: "If a puck goes along the ice, in your crease for a one-timer, that's your fault. Nothing should pass through your crease." We practised going into reverse VH, holding out the stick and directing the puck coming out of the corner/stop the puck with the stick and cover it. Neither of these are put into use in NHL 16, and that is a HUGE part of how goalies operate nowadays.

Cutting Down Angles
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jon...kings-snipers/
Full disclosure, I dislike the Kings. But I do like Jonathan Quick and how technical he is, and the first part of this article perfectly describes how I approach the game and why goalies in EA NHL are seriously flawed. Most of the work is done before the shot, you're playing the percentages. When a pass comes out to the middle, I immediately come out far and get into a low stance, preparing for either a high shot or one along the ice.

I'll give a run-down of my thoughts in this situation, and provide a fancy picture!
Attachment 111925
See here? This is cutting down the angle. You're covering what the puck sees, not what the shooter sees. He's low just incase he shoots five-hole, but looming over the puck. If you looked at it from the puck's perspective, the top of the net would be utterly invisible. All you would see is the goalie's (in this case, Mason McDonald's) chest. This is a huge thing that the game definitively lacks: pre-shot preparation. You can't loom over a puck, you can't stick your pad out a certain way in anticipation for a shot, all you can do is stick yourself infront of it and hope. You could either A.) Add some controls where you can commit to a side with your pad/blocker/glove before the shot just so you're infront of it before it's shot, or add a system in which the goalie animations are situational. I'd imagine the latter would be much harder to implement, but it would make goalies so much more effective.

Another thing I've noticed in the previous gen, I'm not sure if this carried over to the next-gen game: The puck comes off the stick in an unrealistic way, in fact I remember one goal I had in particular where as I shot it, the puck curled on my blade AROUND the pad and into the net. This makes it even worse for goalies because how are you supposed to cut down the angle when the angle of the shot becomes different?

Anyway, I'll most likely have more ideas pop into my head later on but that's my spiel on what I'd like to see. Thanks for reading my enormous wall of text!

Last edited by miner7g; 12-02-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #21
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Regarding Commentary, can we PLEASE get more of Doc's enthusiasm in the game!!? They did a good job capturing some of his excitement when the puck is pinned in the offensive zone for some time and he gets excited, it's repetitive once you've heard it several times, however it is a good start...but as soon as the puck exists the zone....he's dull again. Continue working on this.

Also, can we get more of his trademark "SCORE!" in the game or when he says "Sends it across, SCORE!" or "Feeds it across, SCORE!" I'm a big Doc fan, and to not hear these at all along with another year of lackluster enthusiasm, is very difficult. I know its not easy to capture, but I think they did a good job of putting video is front of him and having him "call the games." Scrap some of the bad goal lines and re-record them or if possible, take clips from ACTUAL Nhl games and put them into the game. I can't stand "scoreeeee...and this one is tieeeeeeed."

I also like how when you score with stars, he says their full name or last name...continue to add to the list of players that he will say their full and last names.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #22
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner7g
Awesome Stuff
Goalies and defensive control/AI need the biggest reworks, in my opinion. It's hard to score real goals, and too often the goals scored are just bad.

The way goalies move on the ice needs to be completely re-worked. One issue I see a lot (that's exacerbated by the absurd deke skills of the AI forwards) is that goalies often play to where the puck is going, which works well most of the time, but they don't anticipate when a player is going to have the puck.

If a defender passes the puck down from the blue line, going from the left side, to a forward near the bottom of the right circle, the goalie will slide out and center the puck to his body. Problem is, the puck has been passed wide of the potential shooter. So the shooter is having to stretch all the way out to catch the puck. In real life, the goalie wouldn't be out of the net on that, because to get a shot, the forward will have to bring the puck into a shooting position. In game, they slide all the way over just past the post and keep the puck centered to their chest, but then as soon as the forward pulls the puck back and crosses with a deke, they've got the puck lined up with the middle of the net, while the goalie is completely out of position, leading to an easy good.

Defensive AI needs huge work too. Defenders just can't/don't play defense. Too often now, when an AI forward skates in on my, their puck is being carried near my skates. In real life, a defender can reach out with an arm to help disrupt movement of the forwards arms, and then with their opposite hand, start jabbing at the puck. The other thing is, they can do this while moving. In game, I can only jab a poke check at them, because a bodycheck won't work since they're too close for it to really register, I'll either miss or bounce off...so I'm stuck using a poke check that I can't AIM. And far too often that results in a tripping penalty, because I have no other options.

I've written it previously, but in it's current form, defense just isn't fun. Shots from the point in game are hard to pull off because the AI can just cover so much ground so quickly, and change directions so easily. Even the slightest bump from the AI shoves your player out of the way (I've got hitting power completely lowered, and player acceleration set to 1). Too often when I get the puck at the blue line, I can't do what a lot of defenders do in the NHL where they laterally move along the point until they get an open shooting lane, then they find up and fire the puck. It's a huge part of shots off of faceoffs, and a key tool for guys on the slot on the powerplay. But in game, it just doesn't work well. Defenders too frequently spin in some awkward direction dragging the puck offsides. If you watch defenders in real life, frequently you will see them drag the puck just on the other side of the blue line, while using reverse crossovers on the other side of the line to pull the puck with them. In game, your players just spin awkwardly, keeping the puck stuck in the same place and pull the entire play offsides. Similarly, your defenders at the point are bad at realizing when to pinch to the boards. I realize that's tough to program, but too often players skate to the boards and miss simple sliding pucks on the ice that don't sneak out because they're misplayed, but because they are missed entirely. Or pucks along the boards. There's no real way to force your guy to but his body on the wall to try and block any clearing attempts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »