Home

Need a lot of help with winning pucks through forechecking

This is a discussion on Need a lot of help with winning pucks through forechecking within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Need a lot of help with winning pucks through forechecking

Hello, guys.

I'm struggling setting up a successful forecheck in on-line versus. I've tried pretty much every "strategy" for it, tried passive, agressive, 1-2-1, weak side lock, 2-3 and so on, but I just almost never win pucks in on-line versus, in turn I'm really bad at beating people's forecheck. Any help here would be highly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Need a lot of help with winning pucks through forechecking

Honestly, dump it in, slap, wrist, or pass (hard pass) around boards. Don't click on the player manually retrieving the puck. Always take control of second man in. Your CPU teammate will either get the puck, or pin the defender. Head in with the second man, poke, and battle for the puck.

This helps put big time with zone time and getting set up. Practice offline, get a strategy down, and then head online and try it out.

I've been using this type of strat since NHL 09.

If you playing an experience guy on the other end, he will pick up on this, get to the puck, and move it quickly.

But the game turns into a great chess match after that.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 05-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Rookie

Thanks Fiddy, I experimented quite a bit with my forecheck today. I first tried to do it exactly as you suggested but later on I ended up using somewhat different tactics. It still revolves around letting your CPU players to try and steal the puck, but now I'm just taking control of the nearest to the bad guy player, skate as close to him as I can and then I switch to another player letting the CPU finish up on the play. It seems to be working marvelously so far and it's also great for any kind of defensive play, not just forechecking. I always hated how easy it was to pull away from a CPU defender along the boards, because they are always trying to get on your far-side shoulder, but now I can place them just right for a check before switching players. I won 7 on-line games in row with these new adjustments, I never had more than 3 before. Thanks again.

Last edited by iCake; 05-09-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 PM   #4
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

^^ That's THE strategy in this game. Even Bacon has admitted that this is his strategy.

Also, check out my thread "perversion of the right stick". The analogue sticks affect more than just your player...they affect your computer teammates including goalie. In relation to this thread, it really helps on the forecheck. Computer Dmen will jump up on outlet passes even. Have had trouble figuring out the actual method since I haven't been playing much.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
EA Game Changer

KidShowtime's Arena

OVR: 4

In addition to the great advice by Fiddy, I've found success in turning Left Stick hitting off (to avoid a charging or hitting from behind call) and basically dump the puck in, and skate full speed directly in to the defensive player picking it up.

You'll basically nudge him off the puck using momentum, and won't initiate a 'body check' input on the controller - which absolves you from any kind of penalty.

9/10 times, this ends up favorably for the offensive team. Of course, certain attributes will play a role (hands, strength, def/off awareness) but the success rate it rather high.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »